Linkert M74B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
    No the opposite, I mean it is seasoned. Now once they are straighten out, it'll stay in formation longer than it did way back when it was new...
    A tiny bit, Duke.

But they can still warp over and over and over.

My inspection is the same as the remedy: I swipe them criss-cross on a very large stone.

POLSHMIL.jpg

When both carb and manifold are ground, they almost 'wring' to zero daylight.
    (First pic I found that shows my criss-cross cross-hatch)...

BOREGRND.jpg

Just one installation, and there's daylight. Metal moves.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-13-2024, 05:44 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Laurie View Post

So Cotton
      Where do they usually leak from?and why? bad fitment or to big a gap for the o rings?

Cheers & Beers
      Ok finally got back to the Knuckle, sorted a few more issues out some relevant to issues but some not.
      found I had a bad plug lead front cylinder so replaced and tested both, all good
      Tried another known coil, no change
      found faulty fuel rod, replaced with Carl's Peek tipped rod, all good
      after no seen leaks during leak test thought I'd try spraying the inlet nipples to heads area with aerostart, (ether based) thought it would pick up at idle if sucking air, but no change.
      Even tried another 74B which was rebuilt years ago for my '65 and never run, same problem!

So it starts easily, Idles ok and revs cleanly but after a 5mile run the front cylinder plug is fouled and the rear plug just a little lean, all this with the low speed needle 5 turns out and the high speed needle shut off, 1/2 turn out or 1 or 2 turns out no difference
      So am i right to assume that the rear nipple must be sucking air keeping that cylinder lean?
      what would you use to seal the nipple threads if thats the case?
      Looks like thats where I'm heading next, unscrew nipples and re seal?
      all help greatly appreciated
      Cheers & Beers
      Laurie

Comment

...after no seen leaks during leak test thought I'd try spraying the inlet nipples to heads area with aerostart, (ether based) thought it would pick up at idle if sucking air, but no change.
        Even tried another 74B which was rebuilt years ago for my '65 and never run, same problem!
        But you did not bubble-test, Laurie?

...So it starts easily, Idles ok and revs cleanly but after a 5mile run the front cylinder plug is fouled and the rear plug just a little lean, all this with the low speed needle 5 turns out and the high speed needle shut off, 1/2 turn out or 1 or 2 turns out no difference
        So am i right to assume that the rear nipple must be sucking air keeping that cylinder lean?...
        A bubble-test would eliminate the need for assumptions.

...what would you use to seal the nipple threads if thats the case?
        Looks like thats where I'm heading next, unscrew nipples and re seal?....
        Please review http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

(Even the Seal-Lock product has its limitations, so most use original JBWeld, although it should cure a couple of weeks at least for fuel resistance.)

.....Cotten
        PS: Please note the safety warning about using ether.

(I worked with a chemist badly scarred when it ignited off of a steam radiator; Hard to believe, but believe me, the scars were real.)

Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-14-2024, 10:45 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

But you did not bubble-test, Laurie?

A bubble-test would eliminate the need for assumptions.

Please review http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

(Even the Seal-Lock product has its limitations, so most use original JBWeld, although it should cure a couple of weeks at least for fuel resistance.)

.....Cotten
          PS: Please note the safety warning about using ether.

(I worked with a chemist badly scarred when it ignited off of a steam radiator; Hard to believe, but believe me, the scars were real.)

Cotton I did the leak test by spraying soapy water all around the manifold and fittings no bubbles, is that what you call the bubble test?

Comment

Cotton I did the leak test by spraying soapy water all around the manifold and fittings no bubbles, is that what you call the bubble test?
            Did you use a constant, regulated air supply of no more than 15psi, Laurie?

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Did you use a constant, regulated air supply of no more than 15psi, Laurie?

....Cotten
              yes mate, straight from the airline into a regulator set at 15psi then out of the reg into the air fitting on the leak test plate.

Comment

yes mate, straight from the airline into a regulator set at 15psi then out of the reg into the air fitting on the leak test plate.
                Cotton I'll try it again maybe using more washing liquid in the mix!

Comment

Almost always if the nipple leaks the rivet does too. I enlarge the rivet hole slightly and turn a larger rivet to fit. Be sure to soften the rivet after turning with heat and ultra slow cooling. Wood stove works good for this if available. Also since the nipple isn’t a tapered thread I like to make sure the JB is not only on the threads but on the mating surfaces of the nipple and the head. Good luck!

Comment

Please note riveting tips at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html, Folks...

Its best to temper your stock before cutting oversized rivets, as it can change dimensions; I tossed large spikes in a healthy bed of coals, and fished them out the next morning.

With Knucks, please beware that the nipples seal against a very delicate lip on the head casting.

Although I have evidence of sealer on an NOS Chief cylinder, I have yet to find evidence that HD ever relied upon anything but a mechanical seal.

.....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-15-2024, 01:51 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                    X