1945 FL Tank Badge and Shifter Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1945 FL Tank Badge and Shifter Gate

I'm working on getting this bike back up and running for a customer. The owner is in his 80's and his son will inherit it one day. It will most likely pass on to the grandson. The bike has a lot of history behind it. I do know that back in the late 1950's when the owner bought the bike it had been costomized and the tanks and fenders were chrome plated. The owner soon painted it black where it remains today.

My Questing is about the tank badge and shifter gate. As I understand the shifter gate is correct for the year, but the tank badge came out in 1947. The tank is obviously made for the shifter gate but why would one weld the mounting bracket on the tank for a panhead tank badge? Or did Harley do something weird in 1945 as only something like 600 of these were made.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Not done by Harley, that was modified by a previous Owner. That shift gate is not stock. In 1947 they switched the shift drum, making you shift "forward" towards the front end of the bike. Looks like a 1946 and down tank with an aftermarket gate to allow for later style shifter drum. Which way do the numbers on the gate go?

As far as the tank badges, if the tanks are real 1945, someone updated to the newer style. Basically they changed badges and likely the shifting pattern to be like a "new" bike. Post of pictures of the gate from above.

Comment

I agree with Architect, the factory offered emblem mounts back then for owners to "upgrade" their machines. The shifter gate is aftermarket.
      vph-d

Comment

Architect See attached. This might enplane the reversed lever on the transmission.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

That is an "Acme" brand shift gate and reversing lever. It was a kit offered to switch the shift pattern to get the lever forward in high rather than back where some riders found it interfered with their leg in high. The tanks were likely smooth sided with no emblems from new if ordered for a police unit. Many tanks were made smooth for PD and commercial sales.The later emblems are an add-on. Here is a pic of an NOS Acme gate. I also have a mid 40s UL tank with smooth sided and a later emblem added.
          If you look at many 40s era Police photos you will see many bikes without emblems and PD logos painted on.

DCP_2250.JPG

Last edited by Rubone; 05-02-2023, 08:45 AM.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

50 Panhead posted a factory kit to change shift pattern.here is another one IMG_0069_1.JPGIMG_0070_1.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              That is an "Acme" brand shift gate and reversing lever.
              You told me it was an "Atlas", Robbie!

Atlas cat 1.jpg
              atlas gate.jpg

Atlas lever 1.jpg

...Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-02-2023, 10:23 AM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank You, you guys are great! Herman

Comment

Atlas is correct, just an early morning brain glitch. But I can always depend on Cotten to find fault so now he is all better.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    Atlas is correct, just an early morning brain glitch. But I can always depend on Cotten to find fault so now he is all better.
                    Try more coffee, Robbie.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Try more coffee, Robbie.

....Cotten
                      I don't drink Coffee.....
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

you will have to look at the mount to see if is added on or factory.
                        Last edited by Chris Haynes; 05-04-2023, 03:47 PM.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                        X