Rear sprocket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear sprocket replacement

Finally wore out drive chain and sprockets and need to replace them. Any advantage to hot riveting vs cold? Also is tedd’s sprocket kit worth a darn? I also saw someone hawking an old Dixie nos one on eBay.

https://www.bmikarts.com/Rear-Wheel-...57_p_5624.html

Just bought one last week, does come with rivets. Have not tried it for fit, old Dixie stock.
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The Dixie sprocket is likely NOS surplus.
      vph-d

Comment

I've installed over a dozen Dixie's, Chopsickle!

The rivets set nicely cold, if you properly press them.

SPKTRIVT.jpg
        (Chief drum shown; I have the HD OEM fixture for 45s if anybody needs it.)

I still have some Dixie sprockets in stock, and although *quality*, I see no clue that they are OEM.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Checked the sprocket I bought 2 weeks ago, mentioned above, has Dixie tag made in Japan. Probably better than Taiwan nowadays. And no rivets, I was mistaken.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
            Checked the sprocket I bought 2 weeks ago, mentioned above, has Dixie tag made in Japan. Probably better than Taiwan nowadays. And no rivets, I was mistaken.
            Mine are from at least a decade ago, BLB,..

And we can be certain Dixie had quite a variety over the decades!

Unless they say Eversure Auto Agency (Old Delhi), I wouldn't worry.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-09-2023, 04:19 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Just ordered a couple Dixie sprockets. Heartened by the fact they are made in Japan. Prolly sunstars or JT’s, or whatever they wer called back then. Nice rig cotton ! I have a 40 ton press , but only hand anvils. I’m crossing my fingers that my drum won’t need to be redrilled. We’ll see here shortly.. thanks, all!

Comment

PBI Sprockets makes the 51 tooth and a 49 tooth rear Sprocket for 30 through 58.
                made in USA chromoly. They come with the rivits..I have not used it yet but I have used their countershaft sprockets on my big twins. Somebody really needs to make a quality tapered shaft engine sprocket.
                VTWINN is door stop material.

Comment

Originally posted by paddy View Post
                  PBI Sprockets makes the 51 tooth and a 49 tooth rear Sprocket for 30 through 58.
                  made in USA chromoly. They come with the rivits..I have not used it yet but I have used their countershaft sprockets on my big twins. Somebody really needs to make a quality tapered shaft engine sprocket.
                  VTWINN is door stop material.
                  I use both USA made PBI trans and rear sprockets and have never had a problem. More expensive than the imported but worth it in my opinion.
                  Bob

Comment

I second Bob discoveries and have found the PBI sprockets to be consistent and work very well.

Comment

I still need a few more used ones, Folks!

GATECLSD.jpg

GRDNGAT2.jpg
                      .... Cotten
                      PS: Chromed ones are too much trouble..
                      AMCA #776

Comment

tire2.jpg

I also had a supervisor, Tom. I miss him every day.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Well, with the help of a friend, I installed a Dixie sprocket onto a vtwin drum last night for practice. The provided rivets were made of an alloy that was softer than I expected, making the project a snap. The hand anvils used were from tedd’s and were fine. Today , I’ll check the runout and my work as the job was liquid inspired. Then, if everything looks good, I’ll cut it off and install on my oem drum. Fingers crossed!

Comment

And this gal was no help at all….
                            Attached Files

Comment

Contrary to the statement that they fit 30-58 they will not fit a 36EL.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                              X