1941 FL Fuel Shut-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichO View Post
    That's all well and good Tom if one of the issues isn't something went between the two and scored the seat.
    If you need a whole new assembly, Go for it Rich!

Most of us like to fix what we got;
    Five minutes on a lathe does wonders for the vast majority, I assure you.

If your seat is that tragic, you could always do a flat-cut on the seat with a stone or endmill to relieve the damage, but I've never had the need.
    (Once, however, I did encounter one that leaked around the seat insert. Diabolical.)

...Cotten
    PS: Carl certainly deserves an applaud for providing hardware for those who need a bolt-on replacement assembly, particularly in light of the horrible quality of Tedd's!
    I have been a customer of Carl's, and he of I, for a long, long time.

PPS: PEEK for sale. PEEK for sale. Get it before it goes on ebay...
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The latest from Carls is different.The one I got before that looked like a modified tedds.the hole for the reserve was higher than OEM on the Tedds one.The new one is in OEM location.The Tedds has a nylon seat.Do not overtighten for best results.I tested several recently with low air pressure under water,the new one from Carl barely needed tightening an held very nice.Looks nice also

Comment

By the way Folks,

I've been cutting the pesky 62085-40 petcock seals from PEEK for years. And viton 62094-40 top seals too.

Sorry for the shameless self-promotion, especially since I sold out of them at Davenport!

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten,

I like the idea of touching the tips on the lathe. How about the length of the rod? When my shut-off is completely shut, the top of the knob is flush with the top of the rod. Will the rod have enough length to seal again? I assume so, but what can I expect with regard to the top knobs?

Thanks,
          Sam
          Last edited by eubanks; 10-09-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eubanks View Post
            Cotten,

I like the idea of touching the tips on the lathe. How about the length of the rod? When my shut-off is completely shut, the top of the knob is flush with the top of the rod. Will the rod have enough length to seal again? I assume so, but what can I expect with regard to the top knobs?

Thanks,
            Sam
            Sam!

As always, you are at the mercy of your own observations.
            (Without it in my hands I have no clue, and that's just another reason why I am turning away new accounts.)
            I've never encountered an issue, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen,.. if you really have a heavy cut with the lathe!

The problem wouldn't be the fit of the knob to the rod, as that doesn't change. But bottoming out the knob on the 62091-40 seal cap is possible, I 'spose.
            Particularly if your 62085-40 seals are too fat (I used fat Linkert bowlnut crushwashers for years, no problem..), but more likely if there really is an issue, the tanks have been distorted in a repair, or attempt to align the petcock. ('65s suffered most.)

Good luck!

...Cotten
            PS: I am reminded Folks,..
            That after cutting the tip, I would always tighten the seat upon the rod firmly with socket a few times, while held in the chuck.
            This usually formed the seat satisfactorily.
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-10-2017, 09:40 AM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
            X