1941 FL Fuel Shut-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 FL Fuel Shut-off

I'm new to this forum and tried to perform a search for this topic. I apologize if it has been covered a million times before.

My 41 FL is not shutting off the fuel. I don't think it is an alignment problem. My bike is very original and I would like to keep it that way as much as possible. That being said, is there a fuel shutoff assembly I can use to replace the leaking stock assembly that allows me to use my original shut-off operating knobs?

My original shut-off operating knob is solid and does not have the small operating knob screw through the top. Most kits I see have the wrong type of knob.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam

My original shut-off operating knob is solid and does not have the small operating knob screw through the top
    The original knob was attached to the rod with a small screw, if yours differs it is not original.
    You could watch ebay for an original, this is risky as the rod or seat may leak.
    vtwin sells a replica 38-0232

Comment

thanks for the info. It is very possible that the knob I'm using was replace a long time ago. here is a photo of the knob:

It has a lot of wear so I assumed.... You know what they say.... I am very interested in an original knob with upgrades working parts.....

Comment

The knob shown is a Genuine H-D accessory part #91690-49...so not correct for your '41. The original knob is right below it!

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for helping me clarify. I am assuming that it replaces the screw? As far as a replacement shaft is concerned, is the V-twin component any good?

Comment

There are replacement rods fitted with PEEK tips that invisibly solve the problem.
            V-Twin is not the solution.

Comment

Carl Olsen (Carl's Cycle Supply) for sure sells the peek tipped rod assembly and I have installed 4 on my bikes and they work great. You don't need to crank down too hard as the peek material seals well. Also you might want to make sure your needle and seat and float are functioning properly. Especially check the amount of play between the fingers on the float lever and the needle top. Check and set that before you set the float height or your never going to get it right. I used to go in the garage and smelled of gas all the time. Not so now!
              Carl sells the kit for around $100 but everything is brand new and includes the fuel valve, brass washers, peek tipped rod and shut off cap. All you need to do is remove your old stuff and replace it with the new and instead of the screw to hold the cap install your knob. You'll be glad to did!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by eubanks View Post
                Awesome. Thanks for helping me clarify. I am assuming that it replaces the screw? As far as a replacement shaft is concerned, is the V-twin component any good?
                Eubanks!

Five minutes re-cutting the original shut-off shaft on a lathe with the toolpost set at 45º (giving a 90º point) is by far the simplest and cheapest solution.
                The original metal tip will wear longer than PEEK, I assure you.

....Cotten
                PS: I'm selling PEEK scraps at $.25 a gram, if anyone needs some for a project.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-08-2017, 05:06 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Not if the seat is bad! Carl's is complete and does the job.
                  DrSprocket

Comment

thank you all so much for the feedback. I have sent Carl's an email and will contact them tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                      Carl Olsen (Carl's Cycle Supply) for sure sells the peek tipped rod assembly and I have installed 4 on my bikes and they work great. You don't need to crank down too hard as the peek material seals well. Also you might want to make sure your needle and seat and float are functioning properly. Especially check the amount of play between the fingers on the float lever and the needle top. Check and set that before you set the float height or your never going to get it right. I used to go in the garage and smelled of gas all the time. Not so now!
                      Carl sells the kit for around $100 but everything is brand new and includes the fuel valve, brass washers, peek tipped rod and shut off cap. All you need to do is remove your old stuff and replace it with the new and instead of the screw to hold the cap install your knob. You'll be glad to did!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                      AMCA #12766
                      Thank you sir! I do also have issue with the carb I need to get sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                        Not if the seat is bad! Carl's is complete and does the job.
                        The OEM seat is soft brass, Rich...

The OEM shaft tip is steel.

Its your money. Spend away!

....Cotten
                        PS: Wanna buy some PEEK?
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-08-2017, 06:05 PM.
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                          Carl sells the kit for around $100 but everything is brand new and includes the fuel valve, brass washers, peek tipped rod and shut off cap.
                          Carl's Cycle supply quoted me $225 for a peek set back in 2014. Maybe prices are lower today?
                          William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                          http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

I bought mine form him at Oley a couple of years ago and some friends just bought some at Wauseon this year and they were $100.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                            AMCA #12766

Comment

That's all well and good Tom if one of the issues isn't something went between the two and scored the seat.
                              DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                              X