No announcement yet.

Peashooters, Schebler AMX, Linkert MR1&2 race carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can choose between 4 possible positions for the air horn. Down pointing forwards. Down pointing back and the same two options with the air horn pointing up
    Whatever spins your wheels, pointing up slightly to the rear sucking at your trouser leg if that's what you want
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I looked at my last response and thought Tommo that response is a bit too abrupt so sorry if I upset anybody.
      When used on a vee twin the air horn usually points rearward so by choosing the right holes it doesn't matter which side of the engine the carb is on as its always possible to have the air horn pointing rearwards.
      Put it on a single with the carb at the rear of the engine it needs to point outwards. If it pointed inwards a lot of the rubbish tossed up by the rear wheel would end up being sucked in by the motor.
      There are period photos with the air horn pointing upwards and this was possibly done at race meetings which had very dirty surfaces and the rider was trying to suck in air that had as little dirt as possible.
      A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

I don't see a choke mechanism, Tommo,...

Perhaps mounted upward would be easiest to choke "manually"?

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

There is no choke mechanism.
          As far as I'm aware these were out and out racing carbs.
          A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
            There is no choke mechanism.
            As far as I'm aware these were out and out racing carbs.
            No argument there, Tommo!

My point was that it is a lot easier to hand-choke when the airhorn is turned upward where you can reach it.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Wow Tommo!

Were all the airhorn screws drilled oblique?

AMX12A 12 detail.jpg

And please help me understand how these worked (even though I may never again hold one in my hand,... )
              A gallery cast upon the side would seem to supply air to the idle circuit; Is there an opening at the top arrow, perhaps a jet?

And the gallery plug at the bottom arrow suggests a bleed to the bore?

It would seem to be on the wrong side of the bizarre needle, so perhaps the idle circuit reverses itself when the venturi kicks in, like a DLX? Or is it something to do with the barrel? Many thanks again,

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

The little experience I have with using one of these carbs is that they are an all or nothing instrument.
                You get one to idle decently and it doesn't want to open up and when you do get it to open up it idles something terrible.
                Any sort of reasonable throttle control between idle and fully open is almost non-existent.
                We are currently in the process of overhauling my 1931 CA 500 o.h.v. single motor and that AMX 12A will be fully overhauled and fitted so time will tell as to whether or not I can get it to run better than it used to.
                The Schebler manuals explain things better than I can so I've attached the relevant pages from the 1925 and 1928 manuals so you can see the differences for yourself.
                Other than the barrel cap the nozzle seems to be the only other difference but both my carbs have the 12A style nozzle in them.
                If I could I'd put the 1925 and 1928 illustrated parts pages side by side but that sort of computer thing is beyond me.
                Here's the 1925 stuff first
                A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Now the 1928 stuff 1928 AMX 20001.jpg1928 AMX 10001.jpg1928 AMX 30001.jpg
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

These are a couple of pages from the NZ importers brochure NZ Schebler brochure 10001.jpgNZ Schebler Brochure 20001.jpg
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

I remember those from '09, Tommo!

https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...ealer-brochure

But I still can't understand how they worked, much less why they were a big deal.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

I guess Folks,...

The only thing I will understand about barrels is why they were an evolutionary dead end.

Although few care, I personally would really like to know what the blazes they were thinking.

......Cotten
                        PS: The only search results that come up quickly for racer Paul Anderson was found at http://www.hendersonmotorcycle.com/History%201918.htm:
                        "Excelsior was keen to demonstrate the new model. In February, Paul Anderson sped to 98 m.p.h. on a fully laden P.D. Henderson on the Roosevelt Highway in front of Chicago Police, and later at 100 m.p.h. to their colleagues in San Diego. Both Departments, as did many others, placed large fleet orders for the fast blue one."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorc...d-speed_record never heard of him, for what that's worth!

EXCELSIOR RIDERS PAUL ANDERSON AND MALDWYN JONES VICTORY CIRCLE '22.jpg
                        (EXCELSIOR RIDERS PAUL ANDERSON AND MALDWYN JONES VICTORY CIRCLE '22)
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-06-2022, 03:09 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

We know from the Page 32 instructions, Folks,..

There is an exposed idle hole inside the carb body, but the gallery plugs do not appear to intersect the barrel mechanism.

So the long gallery from the front of the carb through the idle needle must be drilled all the way to the barrel for the idle bleed, apparently a single hole, size unknown. On this AMX13A, we can see the gallery is wide open at the front, making me assume it is also the 'air correction port' to the main nozzle.

AMX13 a 5.jpg (And we can assign DL55 to the bronze 'beanpot'!)

....Cotten
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-09-2022, 10:12 AM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Just to keep my questions in a herd, Folks,..

What is this oval cover with two screws upon the top of this AMX8?

AMX8stp.jpg

AMX8.jpg

....and why does it have an air bend?

AMX8 g.jpg
                            Correct airbend nut, too.

....Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-09-2022, 03:39 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Gentlemen, I have followed this thread with interest. This rather strange looking AMX13 1-1/16" carb is currently offered on ebay. What on earth have happened to this one, and will it work? Is this another prototype or just someone practicing his own ideas back in the days? Any thoughts truly appreciated.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 4 photos.
                              And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                              This is a great theory.
                              If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Its bizarre, Sveger!

My guess is that it has been conjured into a 'down-draft'; Why they went to the trouble to rotate the manifold flange would be a clue.

....Cotten
                                PS: I now see the your fourth pic, where it appears the entire bowlstem, flange, and needle bosses has been turned away, leaving nozzle bore apparently open? It looks like the bowl now feeds that funny air correction hole!
                                Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-04-2022, 11:38 AM.
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X