Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surface rust only. Very solid.

Comment

That rim is totaled. Surface rust my ass. You run a tire on that, why not put a gun to your head! Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Somewhere, back a ways, I posted a very long description on how to work out tyre sizes to rim sizes for beaded edge/clincher wheels.
        Basically a 28 x 3 tyre would have a 22 inch rim
        3 plus 3 = 6
        subtract the 6 from 28 = 22 which is your rim size.
        Cory can you find that previous post on this subject as it would save an awful lot of typing
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I recall that post Tommo. I'll see if I can drum it up.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Here ya go!! The details are in post #7

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...her+tire+sizes
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Cory
              I owe you another beer now that saved me a hell of a lot of one finger typing.
              Thanks
              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Tommo!!! It's the least I can do. Your input on this forum has proven to be invaluable.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Rust

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                  That rim is totaled. Surface rust my ass. You run a tire on that, why not put a gun to your head! Bob L
                  Click, Click!!!

Comment

These are examples of what your '28 JD might look like when you finish, Wyatt:

This is a '29 JD on white 3.85x27 clincher tires (& 20-inch clincher rims):

This is Bob Royle's 27 JD that he converted to modern, drop-center 4.00x18 Dunlop K-70 tires, due to the complete unavailability of authentic clincher tires, during the 1970s:

This bike is now in Nick Muth's museum
                    ( www.nickscustomcycles.com/ ) in Williamstown, NJ

Spokes to do a conversion like that are probably still available from Buchanan's, b.t.w.

This is a heavily airbrushed 1929 JDH "Two-Cam" on OEM 3.85x27 clincher tires:

Good luck to ya, Wyatt, and God bless!
                    Last edited by Sargehere; 11-29-2012, 11:26 PM.
                    Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Wyatt
                      The major thing you must take into consideration is that air pressure and air pressure alone keeps the tyre on the rim.
                      If the rim has a rust pitted edge or an edge that has got sharp due to media blasting, grinding or what-ever has been used to clean up the rim, the edge of the rim will over a period of riding cut the bead off the tyre.
                      The result of this generally hurts both the body and the pocket
                      It is very important that the rim edge is smooth and rounded so that it doesn't chafe and cut the bead.
                      I saw evidence at the Barber festival where someone who shall remain nameless had cut both bead flaps off the tyre to make it easier to fit.
                      This is also a no-no as the flaps stop the tyre from turning inside out and coming off the bead. When the tube is inflated as well as rounding out the tyre it presses down on the bead flaps which in turn push and help to lock the tyre on the rim thus preventing the bead from rolling out of it's seat in the curved edge of the rim.
                      The gentleman who lost the tyre while at speed on the track was very lucky and damaged nothing more than his pride.
                      If you are going to do quite a bit of riding I'm inclined to agree with Bob that from that picture you posted the rim looks very rough along the edge.
                      Your call.
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

I would seriously consider Bob and Tommo's advice if you plan on riding your JD Wyatt. Check out this thread for more info regarding clinchers.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ight=clinchers
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                        X