Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires

Where can I find 3.85X20 tires for my JD?

coker tires
    gww57.com

Comment

Coker Tires. What year is your bike?
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

It's a 1928

Comment

Coker or Universal, both have similar product lines. I like Universal myself, because I was friends with Ann Klein before she passed on.

If you want, I can give you the exact model tire I run on my '27 JD. They have been great. More than 2000 miles on them and they are still perfect.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I also have a 19" front. What size does it take?

Comment

Wyatt:

are both of your rims clincher style? I have a '26 JD and both rims are the same 20" clincher running the coker 3.85 x 20. I think 19" are usually drop center style rims?
              Dan Margolien
              Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
              Www.yankeechapter.org
              Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Now I am frustrated. Probably drop center but bought an 18" tire, it was too small. Then bought a 19" and it's too big!!!!!! What size is this thing? I will own my own tire store at this rate.....

Comment

Now, you're sounding like it's a clincher rim (too big for 18, too small for 19 drop center tires). If the rim is one continuous surface from one edge to the other, and both edges of the rim turn almost 180º back inward, towards the center of the rim, it's a clincher. "Drop Center" rims have all the spokes entering a semicircular "ridge" (the "drop") all-the-way-around, centered in the rim.

Stock for your bike two 3.85x20 clincher tires. Clincher tires have a groove all the way around that intersects each side of the rims. and they're flexible, even "stretchy." Drop Center tires are held on by their "bead," often a steel cable embedded inside of each edge.

Clincher tires were all-but-unobtainable for a couple of decades (they went out rather suddenly about 1929-30), when drop center tires, easier to install and considered safer, were introduced to general motoring. Since then, many, many old clincher-rimmed bikes were converted by lacing on drop center rims, so without pics, all we can say is, 'It could be either!"

Hope this helps you in some little way to identify what you're dealing with, Wyatt. Go to Coker's website, check out the photos. You'll see both drop-center and clincher tires mounted to their respective rims.
                  Last edited by Sargehere; 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM.
                  Gerry Lyons #607
                  http://www.37ul.com/
                  http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Maybe this will help ya, Wyatt

This ACE has clincher rims:

This '40 Servicar has drop-center rims:

Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Here it is. What the heck do I have?100_0014.jpg100_0015.jpg

Comment

Just figured it out by your poics. It's a clincher,18" I guess so what size tire will it take. A standard 18" I bought almost went on by brute force but then started to tear.

Comment

WOW! Tried Coker Tires and they were no help at all. Salesman said he didn't even know what a clincher tire was........

Comment

Just checked the Coker site myself. THey do have clinchers, so much for the salesman, as a standard 18" is too small and a 19" is too big, what size clincher will it take? I am guessing 18"?

Comment

Originally posted by wyatt emp View Post
                              .... [ATTACH=CONFIG]10008[/ATTACH]
                              Does your second picture show a rusted through section on the rim edge?
                              Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Working...
                              X