Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by epazikas View Post

Hi Cotten,

Thanks for sharing these picture, this float is exactly the same as I have (see picture) and I have been using this one for at least couple of years. It’s weight is 6 grams.
    i never had problems with that, but if you have a good alternative then please let me know,
    The Tedd float by itself is only about three grams, Ed,...

(Which is good...)

Did you weigh it with hardware attached? The floatlever and pivotnut/screw average 4.5g by themselves. If the hardware was removed, it may have gained weight somehow.

And yes, for decades, I produced an alternative that resists fuels far better than the rest, but cash transfers from overseas have become cost-prohibitive.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-30-2024, 02:26 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

After removing the carburetor for a good cleaner (M-88), I found out that the float was misplaced…after a careful check I realized that the root cause was on the float valve, and it’s peak was just being release with the movement of the fuel flow…see picture.
      I replaced this valve by my original one and the carburetor problem is not resolved. My lessons learned is to avoid these kind of new valves that are made of two separate pieces. The fuel and time can sooner or later release the peak and block the petrol flow.
      As it is now, the motorcycle starts easy and works smooth, it was a big plus to have refreshed and clean the carburetor,but I noticed that the timing is out, so this is my work for the coming days when time will allow me.
      I have also checked for air leaks on the manifold and everything is good.
      Attached Files

Comment

I replaced the rubber tips, Ed,...

With PEEK:

PEEK floatvalve.jpg

...Cotten
        PS: There are other designs of 'viton' valves that survive better,...

SOFTTIPS.jpg

But still subject to wear:

vitonwear.jpg
        The made-in-India variety were sold for two decades as viton, but obviously were not (before and after fuel exposure shown here):
        VITON not.jpg

Some were not even concentric!

RUBBRTIP.jpg

Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-01-2024, 12:31 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          I replaced the rubber tips, Ed,...

With PEEK:

PEEK floatvalve.jpg

...Cotten
          PS: There are other designs of 'viton' valves that survive better,...

SOFTTIPS.jpg

But still subject to wear:

vitonwear.jpg
          The made-in-India variety were sold for two decades as viton, but obviously were not (before and after fuel exposure shown here):
          VITON not.jpg

Some were not even concentric!

RUBBRTIP.jpg

I even didn’t know there are so many options available. What I did was to use the original one I have from my motorcycle.

Comment

Linkert carbs sold solid needle with seat that always worked for me.Now VTwin has similar #35-0822 for 30 bucks,....with SS needle.I never had any luck with viton tipped needles for linkerts

Comment

Colony's are fine, Folks!

(2023 suggested retail $22.50)

I found most originals sealed great, after I placed the seat on the benchtop, dropped the needle in, and whacked it with a wooden screwdriver handle. If it didn't pass the suck test, I whacked it again.

And frankly, all modern metal-needle valves benefit from the same treatment.

....Cotten
              PS: Just about the time I thought I saw everything in a Linkert...
              gummytip.jpg

PPS: Anybody use the GroseJet?
              GROSEJET.jpg
              Doan need no steenking needle!
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-02-2024, 04:36 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
              X