Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dukekleman View Post
    Ed,
    Can you describe your fuel delivery line (appearance , material, etc.) to the carburetor and photo the line from end to end.
    I have an idea of what maybe causing your short term fuel delivery.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, the motorcycle runs well and Normal for a short while and then stalls? After sitting for sometime it'll run again and then stalls again? Repeating this scenario...
    Hello and thank you for your question and support.
    i am attaching a picture showing my motorcycles fuel lines, if you would like I can share more specific pictures but basically they are regular steel lines.
    Is there anything of concern that you can think ok? I have been using these lines since I bought this motorcycle many years ago without problems.
    Yesterday I disassembled the carburetor bowl and noticed that the float was displaced (?). The only thing I can think of is that the dirt caused by the damaged fuel filter net may have caused this to not fully allow the fuel to reach the cylinders. Out of that, I have also disassembled the carburetor for a good cleaning and will test the manifold for possible leaks.
    Regards, Ed
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

I observed many, many over the decades, Ed!

The majority were vacuum leaks;
      It is over-enrichened to start, but the extra air starves it out.

The highspeed needle is a large orifice, compared to the delicate idle bleeds, which are prone to capturing glass beads and the like:
      image_42912.jpg
      (Best cleaned with a needle or safety-pin, and a narrowed .009" feeler gauge for the slot.)

While you have the carb off for inspection, please re-test the manifold, even if you have tested it before.

....Cotten
      PS: More than a few decades ago, returning the hundred miles from the Memorial Day Springfield Mile late at night, the gas pumps under the lights were shrouded with mayflies like 'Cousin It".

I shielded my bungs the best I could as I filled up, but a month later, the 'running out of gas' symptom appeared.
      An exoskeleton had blocked my crossover line.

So I admit, it’s not always a manifold leak... .. .
      Hello,

Yesterday I removed the carburetor bowl to find out it was sticky and the float was misplaced…possibly this was caused due to the damaged fuel filter net that allowed dirt to go into the bowl and start accumulating on the sensitive parts? I am attaching a short video for you to see how misplaced it was.
      out of that, I completely disassembled the carburetor for a good cleaning and it is now ready to be refitted to the motorcycle after the manifold leak test. For that I have a device that allows me to pump air inside the cylinders with the help of a small compressor or bicycle air pump.
      video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

I observed many, many over the decades, Ed!

The majority were vacuum leaks;
        It is over-enrichened to start, but the extra air starves it out.

The highspeed needle is a large orifice, compared to the delicate idle bleeds, which are prone to capturing glass beads and the like:
        image_42912.jpg
        (Best cleaned with a needle or safety-pin, and a narrowed .009" feeler gauge for the slot.)

While you have the carb off for inspection, please re-test the manifold, even if you have tested it before.

....Cotten
        PS: More than a few decades ago, returning the hundred miles from the Memorial Day Springfield Mile late at night, the gas pumps under the lights were shrouded with mayflies like 'Cousin It".

I shielded my bungs the best I could as I filled up, but a month later, the 'running out of gas' symptom appeared.
        An exoskeleton had blocked my crossover line.

So I admit, it’ not always a manifold leak... .. .
        Hi Cotten,

I have some good and bad news to share:
        Good news:
        I fitted back the carburetor with the settings as it was before but before that, I did the manifold leak test, see video
        Bad news:
        My motorcycle now doesn’t even start anymore, just tries to and it seems like the timing is just wrong, but I haven’t touched the timing before, should it be expect3dmto set the timing again?
        The coil is brand new, so the spark plugs. There are no leaks and the battery is good.
        Would you have some recommendation? I just can’t figure out what is wrong.
        Thank you, Ed

Comment

Ed,
          The photos don't show the fuel line , more carburetor, intake manifold and the bike.
          Perhaps a simple question, Is it an OEM style fuel line with OEM flare fittings on each end?

Comment

I have no idea what's going on in your video, Ed!

All that foam makes it look like it is leaking everywhere,

And the sound suggests it isn't a constant air supply.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Ed,
              The photos don't show the fuel line , more carburetor, intake manifold and the bike.
              Perhaps a simple question, Is it an OEM style fuel line with OEM flare fittings on each end?
              Let me send some pictures for you tomorrow…then I will be in my garage and you can better judge. I believe them to be original from the bike….i will contact you tomorrow.

Comment

I have no idea what's going on in your video, Ed!

All that foam makes it look like it is leaking everywhere,

And the sound suggests it isn't a constant air supply.

....Cotten
                Sorry for the poor video then. There is no bubbles at all on the foam when using constant air flow or neither in this video. The foam is a bit tick to help to identify leaks.
                it doesn’t hurt to make a compression test as well…I will do that.

Comment

Please thin your soap solution, Ed,...

Or you won't be able to see bubbles form.

The tiniest leaks take a half a minute to form 'blisters' of foam.

MANBLSTR.jpg

manblstr3.jpg

These examples show porosities can appear anywhere, not just at the nuts and seals.

..Cotten
                  PS: My interweb service went down, and I just now viewed your displaced float.
                  Dirt cannot move your float setting. It had to be assembled that way.

It is shiny and molded, but I see no sprues on top like an OEM Armstrong;
                  If it has "MOLDTHREAD" on the bottom, it should do just fine until you encounter digestive fuels.
                  If it has "Linkert" on the bottom, you are lucky it has survived at all!

If there is no script, I would weigh it, and if it is more than seven and a half grams with the lever attached, it is a boatanchor anyway.

I also just saw:
                  Originally posted by epazikas View Post
                  ..after the manifold leak test. For that I have a device that allows me to pump air inside the cylinders with the help of a small compressor or bicycle air pump.
                  You must have a regulated, constant air supply, Ed!

The natural leakage past the intake valve guides alone is orders of magnitude larger than the leaks we seek. Tire pumps, air mattress pumps, and shop vacs (if you can believe somebody tried) are futile... .. ..
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-29-2024, 06:27 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

MANBLSTR.jpg

manblstr3.jpg

These examples show porosities can appear anywhere, not just at the nuts and seals.

..Cotten

If it has "MOLDTHREAD" on the bottom, it should do just fine until you encounter digestive fuels.

If there is no script, I would weigh it, and if it is more than seven and a half grams with the lever attached, it is a boatanchor anyway.

I also just saw:

The natural leakage past the intake valve guides alone is orders of magnitude larger than the leaks we seek. Tire pumps, air mattress pumps, and shop vacs (if you can believe somebody tried) are futile... .. ..

hi Cotten,
                    The float was fitted correctly before, this is sure. Possibly it got displaced because of time and use or it was not to tighten, I can’t tell. Now the float is aligned and back in place. The float brand I don’t recall it but I think it is marked Linkert at the bottom, anyhow it is in good shape and it was working before for a few years without any issue.
                    I will do another lead compression test with a soapy solution as per your recommendation, let’s see if the result will be the same.
                    I am a bit slow on these troubleshooting activities because I am in sick leave and it is not every day that I am feeling well, my apologies if I delay or miss any comments.
                    Last edited by epazikas; 05-30-2024, 04:18 AM.

Comment

My experience with the Tedd Cycle float, Ed,..

TEDDFLOT.jpg
                      Was that it quickly softened in fuel, and eventually increased in size:

TEDBLOT2.jpg

U.S.A. fuels are often "digestive".

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Ed,
                        Hello again and my apologies for been late. Here are some pictures taken from my motorcycle fuel lines.
                        regards, Ed
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

My experience with the Tedd Cycle float, Ed,..

TEDDFLOT.jpg
                          Was that it quickly softened in fuel, and eventually increased in size:

TEDBLOT2.jpg

U.S.A. fuels are often "digestive".

....Cotten
                          Hi Cotten,

Thanks for sharing these picture, this float is exactly the same as I have (see picture) and I have been using this one for at least couple of years. It’s weight is 6 grams.
                          i never had problems with that, but if you have a good alternative then please let me know,
                          Attached Files

Comment

MANBLSTR.jpg

manblstr3.jpg

..Cotten

I also just saw:

Hello Cotten, find attached video clip showing the manifold leak test that I did with a light foam.

Comment

Ed,
                              Thank you for the fuel line photos. That helps clear up any thoughts I had on your problem.
                              If you haven't already done so, get a quart sized container, place it at the end of the fuel line on the carburetor side, open your fuel control valve and allow fuel to fill the quart jar. While this is occuring analyze for consistent flow and look at the sample for any contamination ( rust, paint chips, sand, water or old tank sealer if applicable) .

Duke

Comment

Ed,
                                Thank you for the fuel line photos. That helps clear up any thoughts I had on your problem.
                                If you haven't already done so, get a quart sized container, place it at the end of the fuel line on the carburetor side, open your fuel control valve and allow fuel to fill the quart jar. While this is occuring analyze for consistent flow and look at the sample for any contamination ( rust, paint chips, sand, water or old tank sealer if applicable) .

Duke
                                Thank you Duke….i haven’t done this test before but will do….
                                cheers
                                Ed

Comment

Working...
                                X