Good~looking 1932 vl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...716579195.html

The numbers are struck very, very deep, but I guess some folks have said even that is normal.
    Several years have deep vins, 37 is one of many

At the moment we have an arms race going on between the AMCA judges and the guys making number stamps, but I like to think the judges are still ahead.
    They are not, several bikes with post factory vin have passed inspection, judges only see obvious defects.

Comment

Well, I judge Harleys and most of those guys are pretty good on earlier engine numbers. Bad numbers is a disqualification from the AMCA judging process, so please let the judges know of any judged bikes you think might have bad numbers. Now that the knucklehead engine cases (and frames) and being reproduced, there is a big financial incentive to pass off new bikes as old. As we have Antique in the Club name, these machines should be kept out of our judging system.

Comment

Hi govmule84. I sent you a PM.
        Eric

Comment

Hi Steve,in Wisconsin and Florida the engine number is sufficient.

Comment

Dear Johnny, nice to hear from you again and hope you are still having fun with old bikes. Our judging system does not require a title on the bike, and for pre-1970 Harleys we spend a lot of time looking at engine numbers. In Europe our Chapter has a reasonable database of good Harley engine numbers 1910-1970, but this will not be published. As I said earlier we are still just ahead of the sellers of number stamps, and want to keep it that way. We are seeing knucks and 45s with repro frames and/or engine cases being put forward for UK titles, but these are modern bikes rather than antiques so are not eligible for historic plates. In the past I'm sure some repro bikes were put through the AMCA judging system, but hope this is no longer possible.

The UK now gives titles on frame numbers, so we are looking at a lot of factory frame date codes to authenticate machines for our national DMV. We still have many old WLA/WLC Harleys over here, many of which had the engine numbers changed, or even blank replacement cases. Usually the engine number has been stamped somewhere on the frame, but we must have a lot of old Harleys titled as ZE-35T, which is the forging number on the headstock.

Comment

I bought this bike & traded it to a good friend a few months ago. We both were very happy with the deal.
              It has legit 37UL cases with perfect vin numbers & had a 37 HD Arizona title.
              It runs fantastic & is very well constructed. basically a 32VL chassis with a 37UL motor, primary covers , & 4 speed.
              lots of repop, but it was cheap, looks very good, & runs & handles great,
              It has a 37 only front brake & later star hubs.
              I probably should have kept it instead of trading it away, but my friend really wanted it & I wanted his other 37.

Comment

Heres a UL / VL circa 1953

Comment

Working...
                X