Good~looking 1932 vl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good~looking 1932 vl.

Greeting's, spotted this 1932 VL on Tuscan, Arizona Craigslist. Haven't seen the UL Lower with a VL top in awhile.
    He's asking $25,000-- The UL bottom is a 1937, & has a 4 speed also.
    00k0k_2ovRVyEW9vl_1200x900.jpg
    01717_d7Y63gbFhJj_1200x900.jpg
    00F0F_3Orc7gcGGt9_1200x900.jpg

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 11-02-2018, 12:24 AM. Reason: additional pics.

Nice bike, but how would you get it titled in the US today? On the 1937 engine number, or on some bogus 1932 frame number? Would it vary by State?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      Nice bike, but how would you get it titled in the US today? On the 1937 engine number, or on some bogus 1932 frame number? Would it vary by State?
      Yes Steve, most States have an individual criteria for title's. I imagine this M/C went under an Assemblers/Rebuilder's title? For what it's worth, the owner listed they racked-up 850 miles for a break-in on the rebuild. Looks like the plate just expired (Sept.2018) on the VL Bitsa.
      *M.A.D.*

https://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/6716579195.html
      Last edited by JoJo357; 11-02-2018, 05:23 AM. Reason: additional info.

Comment

I've never seen this done, a VL top on a UL bottom. Can someone explain to me why one would do this other than "this is what I had on hand?"

Serious question, not being a turd.

Comment

Circulating oil.

Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
          I've never seen this done, a VL top on a UL bottom. Can someone explain to me why one would do this other than "this is what I had on hand?"

Serious question, not being a turd.

Comment

Wisconsin and most places I know would title it off the engine number so..... 1937 it is.

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
              Circulating oil.
              Um... don't Us have circulating oil?

Wouldn't it be easier to just... you know, leave the U tops on the U bottom?

Comment

Um... don't Us have circulating oil?

Wouldn't it be easier to just... you know, leave the U tops on the U bottom?
                The UL lower unit was used for the circulating oil, since VL's were total loss. I guess..."Necessity is the Mother of invention", or is it, 'Mothers of Invention'? haha. The VL top end, mated to the UL bottom was utilized because of clearance issues. The VL frames were single down tube, while UL's were double down tubes. It was all because of the front exhaust pipe. Also, the VL bottom would mate with a UL top end. Many moons ago, i bought the Easyriders book on, 'What Fits What'. Interesting to read, even if you didn't apply the switches. That book is still available. Just like this UL/VL--VL/UL mismatch was listed in Bruce Palmer's book on..."How to Restore Your H.D., on page 194.
                *M.A.D.*
                Last edited by JoJo357; 11-02-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                  The UL lower unit was used for the circulating oil, since VL's were total loss. I guess..."Necessity is the Mother of invention", or is it, 'Mothers of Invention'? haha. The VL top end, mated to the UL bottom was utilized because of clearance issues. The VL frames were single down tube, while UL's were double down tubes. It was all because of the front exhaust pipe. Also, the VL bottom would mate with a UL top end. Many moons ago, i bought the Easyriders book on, 'What Fits What'. Interesting to read, even if you didn't apply the switches. That book is still available. Just like this UL/VL--VL/UL mismatch was listed in Bruce Palmer's book on..."How to Restore Your H.D., on page 194.
                  *M.A.D.*
                  Ah, the fit of the pipe, that makes sense. Thank you for solving that puzzle for me.

I have that "what fits what" book. I thought I remembered them mentioning something about this only working with late VL stuff or something? I'll have to go back and reread that. That was a fun book.

Comment

Ah, the fit of the pipe, that makes sense. Thank you for solving that puzzle for me...
                    Which also includes one-year-only 1936 VLD cylinders with 9 bolts for the new 9-bolt heads that served ULs to the end.
                    As part of this conversion, the engine, trans and brake drum sprockets have to be aligned via some work on the VL frame. It's a sharp-looking hot rod bike, but the seller calls it "restored." It's a restoration of nothing. A fantasy bike. And worth nothing like $25K.
                    Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Aren't you being a little..."Hard on the Beaver" Gerry? I looked at the F.O.G. M/C's, and loads of them aren't original either! As far as the 32/37 VL is concerned, it's a Bobber basically. You have to give credit where credit is due. Looks like a professional job, and not everyone goes through the trouble of mating a UL lower into a VL chassis. I agree with You on the price, it's a little steep, but then again, how does anyone justify something like this?
                      s-l1600.jpg >>>>1941 FL-OP-Sold for $150,000.00

*M.A.D.*
                      Last edited by JoJo357; 11-04-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                        Aren't you being a little..."Hard on the Beaver" Gerry? I looked at the F.O.G. M/C's, and loads of them aren't original either! As far as the 32/37 VL is concerned, it's a Bobber basically. You have to give credit where credit is due. Looks like a professional job, and not everyone goes through the trouble of mating a UL lower into a VL chassis. I agree with You on the price, it's a little steep, but then again, how does anyone justify something like this?
                        So I agree the price was high on this thing, but that doesn't mean I don't want to buy it and run it around.

Guy sent me a pic of his VIN when I inquired about it. I'm not going to post it here because I think that's not my place, but it very, very clearly has a pretty bad numbers job. Caveat, all you emptors.

Comment

I do not no what your last words mean but thanks for the heads up on the VIN

Comment

Originally posted by pan620 View Post
                            I do not no what your last words mean but thanks for the heads up on the VIN
                            "Caveat emptor" is a Latin term (from caveat, "may he beware", and emptor, "buyer") that generally is used to remind folks that sellers often have reason and motive to conceal a good's flaws from a seller, who may not have the information, time, nor experience to ferret out all the problems.

I was jocularly saying go over it with a fine-tooth comb as you would any bike purchase, but pay attention to the VIN pad, which contains fckery.

Comment

So I agree the price was high on this thing, but that doesn't mean I don't want to buy it and run it around.

Guy sent me a pic of his VIN when I inquired about it. I'm not going to post it here because I think that's not my place, but it very, very clearly has a pretty bad numbers job. Caveat, all you emptors.
                              I blanked out the last 2 digits on that VIN#. Cleary looks like a re-stamp. But, the Arizona DMV issued a legitimate title. The Belly numbers looked good, and matched.
                              No offense Gov, but I feel it is worth posting this information when a M/C is questionable.
                              fullsizeoutput_4d7.jpg

*M.A.D.*
                              Last edited by JoJo357; 11-23-2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X