No announcement yet.

VL Trans rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a great thread! Lots of hidden tips for the VL trans. I recently put new sealed bearings in my transmission and also replaced the clutch plates but I'm having a hard time shifting in to first or second from an idle. Once the bike is moving the rest of the up/down shifting is fine. When at an idle though, trying to get into first requires a lot of moving the bike back and forth and double clutching to finally get it to go without grinding. I notice that even after adjusting the clutch that the bike is still noticeably harder to push when the clutch has been released than when the bike is in neutral and the clutch engaged. From reading this post I'm thinking my thrust washer is too thick and causing some additional drag?

Comment

• That’s usually the problem when they won’t go into gear without grinding. Replace thrust washer with thinner one or grind .005 thousandth off.

Comment

• Hi Ray,

I sent you a PM a couple of months back. Just wondering if it got to you?

Peter

Comment

• Originally posted by 34VLRay View Post
          That’s usually the problem when they won’t go into gear without grinding. Replace thrust washer with thinner one or grind .005 thousandth off.
          Thanks for the insight 34VLRay, Ill give it a try

Comment

• Originally posted by sny View Post
            Thanks for the insight 34VLRay, Ill give it a try
            Follow up for future reference:
            A thinner thrust washer along with light filing and cleanup of the drive disc hub side fixed my problem shifting into first.

Comment

• Grumpa,
              Would you please provide the part number of the seal you installed in the output shaft? To cut the recess, did you just insert an expanding collete in the bronze bushing?
              Thanks!
              NC riding
              1936 VLD in process
              1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
              1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
              2006 KTM 950 Adventure
              2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

• Harley-Davidson part #12035B seal for output shaft. Works well on 31 up

Comment

• Thank you! Enjoyed reading your trans build story and learned a lot from it.
                  1936 VLD in process
                  2006 KTM 950 Adventure
                  2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

• Originally posted by NCriding View Post
                    Would you please provide the part number of the seal you installed in the output shaft? To cut the recess, did you just insert an expanding collete in the bronze bushing?
                    NCriding,
                    I believe I used seal 12022 if you're referring to the seal added in post #29 - #33. Modifying the gear was alas, beyond the capacity of my little benchtop so I had a buddy at work do the deed. He noted that the gear was "hard as fuk" and whatever he did ended up with a pretty loose fit to the seal

Glad you enjoyed the thread - like I might have mentioned earlier; it takes an entire village to raise this idiot.
                    I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

Comment

• Grumpa,
                      Yes, I was referring to posts 29-33, thanks for the info! Sounds like my antique South Bend lathe is not the tool for the job, I’ll see if the big Jet we have at work will get the job done.
                      For such a “simple” gearbox, it appears to have challenged more than a handful of us. In my case, due to the upgrade of using sealed bearings that do not maintain the main shaft and output shaft offsets.
                      1936 VLD in process
                      2006 KTM 950 Adventure
                      2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

Working...
                      X