No announcement yet.

1930 V engine disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Colony are the only ones making new VL valve covers, so the finish will be whatever they are using. Our judges should not be too harsh on a zinc finish as cadmium is so hard to get done these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      I think Colony are the only ones making new VL valve covers, so the finish will be whatever they are using. Our judges should not be too harsh on a zinc finish as cadmium is so hard to get done these days.
      Thanks Steve. Here are some more pics of my flywheel. I don't see an 80 stamped anywhere so guessing that means it's not a stroker? I do see the "C" stamped on top.

fullsizeoutput_eb0.jpg IMG_0987.jpg IMG_0988.jpg IMG_0993.jpg

Comment

80 is not stamped on them. It is the raised casting number that will tell you what they are. Your pictures are too small for me to read them on my phone.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
          80 is not stamped on them. It is the raised casting number that will tell you what they are. Your pictures are too small for me to read them on my phone.
          Hmm need to figure out why some of my photos shrink so much when posted! Anyway the casting numbers are:
          150 30H
          150 30J

Comment

The C means the flywheels were originally balanced for cast iron pistons, like many of the earlier VLs. The 80 is lightly stamped where you saw the C on 1935/6 stroker flywheels for the 80 inchers. 1930 flywheels have no timing mark, as this was a 1931-36 feature when the timing plug was put at the top of the left crankcase. Earlier 1930 flywheels have faint casting numbers. All casting numbers are the same, except for the first 1930 small flywheels. later recalled, for the first 2000 bikes built.

PS. What are your engine and belly numbers?
            Last edited by Steve Slocombe; 06-30-2017, 04:04 AM.

Comment

The C means the flywheels were originally balanced for cast iron pistons, like many of the earlier VLs. The 80 is lightly stamped where you saw the C on 1935/6 stroker flywheels for the 80 inchers. 1930 flywheels have no timing mark, as this was a 1931-36 feature when the timing plug was put at the top of the left crankcase. Earlier 1930 flywheels have faint casting numbers. All casting numbers are the same, except for the first 1930 small flywheels. later recalled, for the first 2000 bikes built.

PS. What are your engine and belly numbers?
              The flywheel has a timing mark. I clearly see the "C" on both sides but on the left side it's pitted. There could be a faint 8 in there or it could just be my brain connecting the pit marks. Lol! I measured the distance between shafts and its looks exactly 2" center to center.

I was just reading in your book about the case numbers and mine appears to be an exception. The left case casting is "112 30H" (no hyphen), the engine serial number is "30V9XXXC" (the X are real numbers), the belly is stamped "31-1633" and it has a timing plug.

The right case is the most worn of the two and doesn't have any other visible numbers except the casting of "112 30F" and "D D D" under the crankshaft hole.

Comment

Well, that's a later 1930 engine number, although they go quite a bit higher, with an early 1931 belly number and 1931 and up flywheels. The 1930 VL was the most produced year of the flathead big twin and, being the oldest, the most butchered for spare parts. I doubt we're going to see this one in for AMCA judging of the engine numbers, and in any case they could be early replacement cases. Just keep having fun with this well engineered old motor...

Comment

Well, that's a later 1930 engine number, although they go quite a bit higher, with an early 1931 belly number and 1931 and up flywheels. The 1930 VL was the most produced year of the flathead big twin and, being the oldest, the most butchered for spare parts. I doubt we're going to see this one in for AMCA judging of the engine numbers, and in any case they could be early replacement cases. Just keep having fun with this well engineered old motor...
                  Well today was my lucky day! I met Steve White and he went through all my engine parts with me. I learned a ton! He too thought the numbers on my case seemed fishy. I was in denial but in the back of my mind I knew the font didn't look right, the "30" was just too modern looking. I have yet to see another engine case use that same font. Long story short I am now the proud owner of a very nice 31VL left case with perfect numbers and in far better shape than mine is.

Comment

Yup, Steve is a great VL booster in the Northwest, and I'm glad you ended up with a good '31 engine case. Be careful with this judging lark though, as it's a slippery slope and hard to come back to 'just a rider' bikes...

Comment

Yup, Steve is a great VL booster in the Northwest, and I'm glad you ended up with a good '31 engine case. Be careful with this judging lark though, as it's a slippery slope and hard to come back to 'just a rider' bikes...
                      Hah I can see how it could get to that! My budget will keep me focused on just building a rider. Was cool to get to see a complete restored '30 though, definitely my favorite year.

Here's a pic of some of my cleanup progress today.
                      7A130EBF-C499-4FB6-ACE0-B5B344B76097.jpg

Comment

Hi,are you still in need of an early cam cover?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyfire View Post
                          Hi,are you still in need of an early cam cover?
                          I found one, thanks for asking though.

Comment

Update

It’s been over a year but I’m still working on this motor. Obviously not in a rush and hasn’t been my only project. Steve White (pictured) has been helping me when I have time (and $$$!) this pic is from a few weeks ago

1CEB1AB0-E051-4CE7-9A63-53029CF83B98.jpg
                            Attached Files

Comment

You found a good spot, Steve does good work.

Comment

SNY, Keep at it. Live and learn. Don't listen to Chris's snarky remark. If the previous owner hadn't mushroomed the guide pin heads and you didn't used the hammer handle through the generator hole on a cam cover that was clearly weaken by corrosion you'd have been alright. Good luck , Rich
                                DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                                X