Winter Side Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FNG1 View Post
    I try to get out to ride as much as the next guy. I agree with Chuck and try to keep it above 20 degrees. This morning it was 17 but warmed up to 38 by 4:30. Tell me more about the oil you use. I use a block heater for the morning start, then I park in the sun if I can. Two weeks ago at work.
    FNG1 - Keep that first number low as in 5W/40. I use Mobile 1. I got 50,000 miles out of a previously seized motor using this oil down to -11 degrees. 10 years of daily riding. I would leave your primary and tranny oil as it is. What you are trying to accomplish is easing the cold start wear and tear a motor goes through trying to flow molasses on an extreme cold day. Better for your starter motor too.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

yep -- 5/40 or 0/40. I like the mobil Euro car formula https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-F...-5-qt/23636902

Both the Guzzi and the japanese bikes described in this thread are plain bearing motors and the 0-40 or 5-40 works very well. On a roller bearing motor like most American V twins -- it positively cranks.

I ran 10-30 in the winter for eons and the bikes were always a tough one to start. Kick or electric didn't matter -- cold oil = hard to turn over.

But, I had to leave my car outside in -10 weather about a decade ago and read up how to make sure it would start in the AM. Everyone said; change the oil. I thought: BS how could something even thinner than 10-30 make any difference. But, I swapped the oil anyways and boy howdy did the car turn over easy. I then decided to put it in the winter bike and viola all my starting issues resolved. Bike cranks fast, oil light goes out instantly and when I had a gauge on the bike it always showed terrific oil pressure equal to or even greater than mineral oil.

Comment

Few years ago, I bought a nearly new standby generator at half price because the guy who bought it couldn't pull start the motor in the winter so he bought an electric start model. I changed it to synthetic 5-40 and it starts right up.
        AMCA #41287
        1971 Sprint SS350 project
        1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Thanks Chuck and Deebs, I'll try that.

Comment

Working...