Winter Side Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Side Car

I ride every day. Even in the New England snow. I picked up this 79 KZ750 twin in 2012 with a seized piston for $50.00 at a local tag sale. Applied Marvel Mystery oil and let sit for two weeks. Shifted into 5th gear (not first) and rocked back and forth until the piston let go of the cylinder wall. Cleaned the carbs and changed the oil. 50,000 miles later it's still going. Velorex sidecar I picked up in Springfield. I could not take not riding over the winter. It really depressed me so I built this. I can't tell you how happy this bike has made me. It's my pick up truck.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

...Some more winter sidecar pictures

Comment

Ok these are the last ones I promise.
      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Hack's where it's at, DEEBS!

I kept mine out of the salt, though;

Fourteen below was the coldest I rode, but only three miles to work on a 450 Honda.

(Kept the oil in a coffee can on the stove pilot the night before.)

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

DEEBS!
          Young fellow like you might want to consider putting a plow on that rig and make some extra cash for next Christmas !!!

Comment

Paul, I believe the Plow Glide has already been invented. It puts a tractor to good use.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

And now for something completely different. Salt has always been a problem for me with corrosion. I have ridden every winter since 2013 and early on there were time I could not get the axle out from the wheel to change a tire. Solution: Water proof grease on every fastener and Salt Away with cold water. Hot water makes the corrosion worse. Gotta really get up under the fenders where salt likes to hide. This system has greatly reduced corrosion on my winter bikes.,
              This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Had to take down the sidecar for sandblasting and powder coating in 2021. Lots of salt corrosion. I got a clear coat on top of the black that is supposed to be impervious to chemicals like magnesium sulfate. Gone through a few winters and still holding up.

Comment

Another piece of equipment I can't live without in the winter is Craig Vetter's Hippo Hands from the late 70's. I collect these from eBay because, quite frankly, almost nobody rides in the winter and there are NOS units available. The early version had shoelaces but did not fit right over a modern front master cylinder. Vetter would stamp his trademark with different color paints. The yellows are early and the blues are late. My sidecar uses the late blue tubular units that you have to install your mirror through a provide hole on top. My record low temp riding is -11° for a 30 miles round trip to work and back. With Hippo Hands I have never needed gloves or heated grips (can't use heated grips with the antique charging system).

Comment

I've been a year round rider for a touch over 30 years now; the last 20 years in Chicago. I've never actually used a hack for the winter -- so I can't claim to be a "snow" rider; just a "cold" rider.

My weapon of choice is my 1979 Guzzi SP1000. Despite 12 winters, corrosion isn't my issue. The guzzi cycle parts hold up to salt spray really well. My problem is batteries. Getting a good one that cranks well at 20 degrees is tough! However, when I switched to 0-40 synthetic, my starting issues all but disappeared. However, ALL the aftermarket chrome on the bike was dead within a season. The Guzzi chrome -- such as the header and cross over -- no issues at all.

You can see in the photo from this summer's road trip out in Colorado how rusted the outside of the mufflers are . . .but that's the worst of it.

I do stop at around 20 degrees. I learned over the years that MC tires lose a ton of pliability below freezing. On a hack, not an issue -- on two wheels; it can get interesting if you push the lean angle too much.

I love to use ATV winter handguards. They are a bit less bulky than hippo hands. The second photo is a picture of the "mitts" as I call them on the 69 Guzzi which I rode for a few seasons before swapping to the SP.

My original winter bike was a KZ400; that one survived a few seasons before the salt really tore it up and it was replaced by a CB500T which lasted 8 seasons before the rust monster started to claim it.

Indeed, I learned the hard way that heated grips and heated gear doesn't work well with vintage bikes. Today, I use a 7v heated vest which I wear under a pair of WW2 shearling bibs and a B3 shearling bomber jacket. I basically kit up like a WW2 Allied bomber gunner and have been able to cruise for hours in 20-30 degree weather like that. Everyone stares at me like I have three heads . . .but I"m clam happy.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Much respect Chuck. I love my 98 EV11 Guzzi. 216K miles and still going strong. It's been to the Artic Circle. Never did anything to the engine except a million oil and filter changes. I run 5W/40 in it. Just had it out today. 35°. Balmy!
                      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

nice. i’m “only” at 163k on the SP. nothing but oil changes. i did replace the cam chain at 150k and the clutch at 156k, but otherwise, it just rolls along.

Comment

Best thing to stop the salt monster is Woolwax lanolin undercoating. They use it on the salt trucks up here and the beds last years not months. Here is the small kit, probably best for bikes. Once I got set up with quarts and a spray gun, I buy it by the gallon.

https://amazon.com/woolwax-Spray-Can.../dp/B07R7N8FZT
                          AMCA #41287
                          1971 Sprint SS350 project
                          1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                          1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                          1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                          96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                          2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                          plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I try to get out to ride as much as the next guy. I agree with Chuck and try to keep it above 20 degrees. This morning it was 17 but warmed up to 38 by 4:30. Tell me more about the oil you use. I use a block heater for the morning start, then I park in the sun if I can. Two weeks ago at work.

Comment

Originally posted by joe fxs fxr View Post
                              Best thing to stop the salt monster is Woolwax lanolin undercoating. They use it on the salt trucks up here and the beds last years not months. Here is the small kit, probably best for bikes. Once I got set up with quarts and a spray gun, I buy it by the gallon.

https://amazon.com/woolwax-Spray-Can.../dp/B07R7N8FZT
                              Woolwax looks good. I use a similar product called Fluid Film. I use this on my pick up and bikes to keep salt corrosion down.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X