No announcement yet.

Could Use Some Help Identifying This Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for that link rob, this will be several hours of good reading. in most of the pictures i have seen of holley engines, they look like they changed them around a little every year. if toms engine were a holley, i believe it would be 1901 or earlier. this is just a wild guess though. i appears that the holley car was chain drive, and toms engine is belt drive. its a mystery.
    Last edited by jurassic; 10-29-2011, 08:45 PM.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Courtesy of Tom.....

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

could use some help indentifying this engine

Just noticed this 1903 Marsh also has what looks like the identical carb. The engine is also similar with the long studs for the head and cylinder. The crankcase is different. Mine has mounting holes on the bottom. Tommarsh.jpg

Comment

Tom, it's hard to tell from these old ads but while the carb looks close, I'm wondering about that exhaust valve pocket? Does it look like it extends out past the cylinder a little further than your engine? This is proving to be a tough one. This is an add from 1902.

Here's a little clearer image from 1903.

1900 I could be wrong but the carb appears to be closer to the cylinder. The pulley on your engine has me wondering though. Do you think anything had been apart on it prior to your disassembly?

Last edited by c.o.; 02-22-2012, 11:40 PM. Reason: additional ad
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Cory It has been apart before. It shows the usual chisel marks on the crankpin nuts. Tom #381

Comment

Working...
            X