Could Use Some Help Identifying This Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Use Some Help Identifying This Engine

I had the great fortune to spend some time at club member Tom Wilcock's place a couple weeks back. In his stash of treasures this little chugger appeared. Does anybody have a clue what it is? The whole darn thing is cast (even the carb!) and looks very well done. Any insight would be great it's really got me wondering. I'll bet Tom's curious too..

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Looks early Thor to me. The intake and carb are pointed the wrong direction, I think. Should be behind the motor. Any markings on the carb?

Comment

Could Use Some Help Identifying This Engine

Enjoyed your visit Cory. Thank you for posting the pictures. Silent Grey Fellow: I can not find any numbers or markings on either the carb or engine. I always wondered if it was a prototype engine because everything is cast iron. Tom, AMCA #381

Comment

No problem on the picture posting Tom!!! Let's hope a definitive answer shows up on that engine!!! It does look like a mill that Aurora would have produced but why no markings? hmmm... wouldn't it be something if it was one of the first? It's pretty wild that it's all cast and the good craftsmanship is very apparent.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Here are a couple of thoughts to ponder.......

Circa 1910 Thor singles had the carb in front of the engine.

Some engine manufacturers did not have any markings on the exterior of their engines. i.e., Spacke engines supplied to the Minneapolis Motorcycle Company did not have markings of the exterior of the engines supplied to Minneapolis for their cycles, c. 1911-1913. "F. W. Spacke Co." can be found molded on the inside of the crankcase wall.

With those thoughts, this engine does appear to be a very early engine...........
          Last edited by talbot-2; 09-16-2010, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Well Tom has taken to tearing the little bugger apart and no markings yet!!!

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

[. I always wondered if it was a prototype engine because everything is cast iron. Tom, AMCA #381[/QUOTE]
              Lowell model company made a motor that was made of cast iron Corburn Benson has one, I have a full scale drawing of a small motor made by the same company and mine has a t head like the pierce but made around 1900

Comment

I have seen all iron H-D engines. They were for non motorcycle applications.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Looks like an early Thor Indian made some C. I. cases the same year that they made alloy ones.

Comment

i'd be willing to bet that this is a holley motor. they started building motorcycles in 1902, with the lower end cast into the frame. but before they made motorcycles they sold engines. they were also licensed to build the french longuemare carburetor in the u.s. the carb on this motor looks like a dead ringer.
                    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

You amaze me Jurassic!
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

I would have to agree with that statement Eric! He's a handy guy to have around alright. Lonnie, are you thinking that this engine could be prior to George M. Holley's Motor Bicycle? I think I see suttle differences between Tom's engine and the engines that I've seen in photos of the motor bicycles. Tom's engine shows case screws only on one side and the carb appears to be different from early Holley carbs that I've seen. Has anyone ever seen a powerplant for the Holley Motor Carriage?

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

rob ronky #10507
                          www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Well it's about time you showed up Rob... You certainly have the photos!!!

Originally posted by rwm View Post

Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

http://www.smethporthistory.org/brad...orbicycle.html
                              rob ronky #10507
                              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Working...
                              X