the first Harley's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking Herb! That's one great machine that's for sure!
    And possibly a bike with a great story behind it too. Time will tell. Something really good is forming, maybe.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• i just put the bike back as it was found.it would have been too much major surgery to have put it back to 1905 -06 specs.besides i found after inspecting all the parts and how they were assembled ,that the bike was most likely built this way back in the teens.all the modifications on the bike are improvements,and are very functional ,and show signs of use .i now view the bike as a period modified,instead of a hodgepodge.in the spirit of leaving the bike as it was ,i just did a soft restoration,adding some black paint with no bodywork ,or clear coat.finishing it off with a thin coat of varnish,and a little patina.
      www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Your doing a great job! I like the direction your heading with it. I hope to hear it run one day!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• prototype

Comment

• ive been studying this pic for along time.i got the fork figured out ,but it looks like the neck on the frame has a webbing inside of it,from the top to the bottom.it almost looks like it may not be a repair,or it may be an afterthought.also the oil tank is definatly taller,but is the gas tank bigger too,or is the coil holder smaller?something looks different.it also has three piece pedal cranks,and it looks like the pedal crank hanger casting is below the center of the bottom frame bars.i'm trying to get the frame built but pretty much everything on the bike is different from those that came after it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
              ive been studying this pic for along time.i got the fork figured out ,but it looks like the neck on the frame has a webbing inside of it,from the top to the bottom.it almost looks like it may not be a repair,or it may be an afterthought.also the oil tank is definatly taller,but is the gas tank bigger too,or is the coil holder smaller?something looks different.it also has three piece pedal cranks,and it looks like the pedal crank hanger casting is below the center of the bottom frame bars.i'm trying to get the frame built but pretty much everything on the bike is different from those that came after it.
              Can't wait to see how this one turns out. It certainly seems like you're up to a challenge........a noble undertaking for sure!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• Just stumbled on this picture...... I figured you may be able to shed some light on it Herb..... I see a couple of familiar faces on the bikes on the right-side........

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

• I also just came across this.... not sure where it came from originally.........

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Just stumbled on this picture...... I figured you may be able to shed some light on it Herb..... I see a couple of familiar faces on the bikes on the right-side........

I could have sworn that photo is in the Creation book, but I guess not. Should be....

Anyway, it's a great photo and we know those guys: From right to left is Lacy Crolius (arms folded); Walter Davidson; Oakley Fisher; and (I think) Ralph Sporleder. This was the Milwaukee "factory" team c1908. (Sporleder looks "too cool" and sort of like Lee Marvin in The Wild One).
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======

Comment

• That photo is in David Wright's book "The Harley-Davidson Motor Company, An Official 90 Year History' on page 16.
                      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777
                      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

• Tommo, is there much for earlier photos in Mr. Wright's book? I fell out of the Harley world for several years and am slowly trying to catch up. If there's early photos, racing or otherwise, I may have to try and round up a copy.

Herb, thanks for the clarification on that pic!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• There's 10 or 15 early shots but only 3 or 4 of them are what I'd call rare, the rest are the same run of the mill photos every author uses.
                          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                          A.M.C.A. # 2777
                          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up Tommo! I stop in at a used book shop about 85 miles south of me from time to time and I've picked up a few out of print books for a reasonable price. I'll maybe keep my eyes open for curiousity sake.
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Tommo, is there much for earlier photos in Mr. Wright's book? I fell out of the Harley world for several years and am slowly trying to catch up. If there's early photos, racing or otherwise, I may have to try and round up a copy.

Herb, thanks for the clarification on that pic!
                              David Wright's book is worth having. There is some inside info gleaned from old employees plus like Tommo said a few rare early pix. One that stands out is a c1907 sidecar photo with Oscar Becker in the saddle and all the "boys" gathered around.

Another good book for the photos is Wolfgang Wiesner's book: "Photographic History of H-D" with some seldom seen archives photos of several early Harley collection bikes taken in the 1920s plus others.

When I look at photos like these I can't help but wonder about the final fate of each bike. Where it ended up. Was it scrapped or maybe lying today in some farm ravine junk pile or under the ruins of a collapsed chicken coop or barn loft somewhere out in the coulee country....
                              Last edited by HarleyCreation; 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM.
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======

Comment

• florida tank

Comment

Working...
                                X