the first Harley's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    That appears to be dull nickel wash, not bright nickel plate.
    Chris Haynes, it is 101 years old for crying out loud! Why are you so hung up on shiny? Forest Gumpitis? This is the third thread (at least) where you try to hijack the thread with a problem with shiny. I have three pre-16 HD's with orig paint. All of them have bright nickel cylinders, not dull nickel. Now, there may not be a lot of nickel, but it is definitely BRIGHT NICKEL PLATE, on all of them, and yes, I do know the difference. Just where are you getting your info? Pictures? Palease!!! Until you know your $hit, I suggest doing your homework by inspecting some pre-16 HD's up close that have original plating and quit bagging on people's restorations. Now, go jump in the F650 and eat another cheeseburger! Ok, I shouldn't get personal, but how do you like it when it comes back at you? You are always in peoples face, cutting other's work, and I am sick of reading it. Have a good evening. BTW Lonnie, I love the bike!

Comment

• chris haynes---i seem to remember bruce palmer mentioning something about a "radio microscope" of something like that as a tool to blow up and enhance photographs to reveal certain details when he wrote his book. do you know anything about that? i thought since you were a great contributor to that book you might know what i'm talking about. wouldn't it be great if the picture of the guy on the california bike could be blown up and enhanced enough with todays technology to see if it is actually number 2221

Comment

• Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
        wouldn't it be great if the picture of the guy on the california bike could be blown up and enhanced enough with todays technology to see if it is actually number 2221
        Maybe they could also test the brilliance of the plating, and thickness, at the same time. Maybe they would find that the picture is not 1909, but a 2009 Timeless. Ok, back to the thread. Sorry (kinda) for the rant. Just trying to loosen it up a bit and make it fun!

Comment

• while not giving in to the polished or not polished debate ,i can say i have seen apparent nickel plated strap tank cylinders. 2037 {17 FINS} has a painted cylinder ,and it is the best original example.i was less educated ,and less involved in 1835's renovation.so dont know what it looked like before.i believe painting the cylinder would have been a nice touch. i cant say much about the luster ,but i am sure there is enough evidence that the early cases were polished.
          www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
            I have three pre-16 HD's with orig paint. !
            That my friend gets the ol' heart beating! I dream about original paint bikes on a regular basis. Mostly because I can envision a story behind them. They have soul and link us to the past. Now you threw it out there maybe you could help soothe the craving with a pic or two..... If not how about a dandy description!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

i seem to remember bruce palmer mentioning something about a "radio microscope" of something like that as a tool to blow up and enhance photographs to reveal certain details when he wrote his book. wouldn't it be great if the picture of the guy on the california bike could be blown up and enhanced enough with todays technology to see if it is actually number 2221
              I would be interested in learning more about that. I tried to zoom in on that pic and while it did stay clear to a pretty large state,i n no way would it be clear enough with my photo program to see numbers....
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• 2221 ... it looks like it may have been polished.at least the raw casting was polished down.i wonder how flashy they really were new. i prefer the polished scotch bright look. that and a little hand rubbing gives it a nice look.
                Last edited by jurassic; 01-06-2010, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• I think the Scotch Bright finish is a good default look. As you said, you have to wonder how bright they really were. Craftsmanship was a big deal in those days and competition for motorcycle sales had to be savage. I really believe that consumers in the early 1900's judged a mechanical product by fit and finish. I don't know where I'm going with this, other than to say that I like to see early bikes a bit over restored. I think they may have been shinier(?) and more finely finished than we think.
                  Last edited by exeric; 01-06-2010, 08:00 AM.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

• I wasn't hijacking anything. I asked a question. I was referring to the 1909 photograph. That cylinder sure doesn't look bright to me. It looks very dark. If I don't ask questions how will I learn?
                    [/QUOTE]
                    Last edited by Chris Haynes; 01-06-2010, 11:03 AM.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

chris haynes---i seem to remember bruce palmer mentioning something about a "radio microscope" of something like that as a tool to blow up and enhance photographs to reveal certain details when he wrote his book. do you know anything about that? i thought since you were a great contributor to that book you might know what i'm talking about. wouldn't it be great if the picture of the guy on the california bike could be blown up and enhanced enough with todays technology to see if it is actually number 2221
                      Even if ONE number could be deciphered that would tell the tale, actually any visible numbers at all would. That is the correct side for it.
                      Herbert Wagner
                      AMCA 4634
                      =======
                      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                        Those cases in the old photo look pretty polished to me. The cylinders do not in the photo. However, the cylinders were nickel plated from the factory. Here is a late '08 in orig trim. Looks nickeled after 100 years, and still shows a little shine.
                        Here is what made me ask. In this photo the nickle looks to be pretty flat.

Here are a three nickle carburetors on my shelf. As you can see the bright plated carb looks much shiner than the two nickle washed carbs on the right. The finish on the nickle washed carbs looked like the photo of the cylinder.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• put nickel in different environments, and it will patina differently. If it is slightly acidic in the environment that it is stored, the bright nickel will dull down very quickly to look like Electroless Nickel (EN).

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                            I wasn't hijacking anything. I asked a question. I was referring to the 1909 photograph. That cylinder sure doesn't look bright to me. It looks very dark. If I don't ask questions how will I learn?
                            [/QUOTE]

And I'd like to learn how that rider kept that big number three on his back throughout the whole race !!!!
                            Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                            AMCA #1905

Comment

• man i looked everywhere and couldn't find a pic of the left side of 1835. this pic kinda shows the sager type attachment on the fork. we slightly lessened the total amount of pinstriping on the bike,but still have no idea how 1907's were finished.most likely this engine's cylinder left milwaukee black.while the cases were polished.
                              Last edited by jurassic; 01-06-2010, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• moving forward , i found very little resistence from the top motor mount ,and the intake manifold. no heat required .threads are perfect.and i still haven't found any rust or corrosion to speak of.i'm thinking of trying the cylinder.this is always where it gets tricky. its like ,'WHAT AM I GOING TO DESTROY FIRST".lots of marvel down the barrel ,and hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X