No announcement yet.

1913 Harley twin engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. My want ads for a 1911 frame will be in magazines later this year. If I can find a frame, then I will pursue other parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      By the way the two articles on Lonny's HD were the best read in years. My favourite article to date in the AMCA mag. Thanks for all the hard work and research on the early Harley's. Time for another early book on HD before another 6 hour movie comes out.
      I agree Ross. Hands down, the best article I've read in our magazine; like finding a box of Linkerts at a garage sale for $5. I loved your last sentence Ross
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks guys for the kind words about the Isam early Harley/Lang article. That's means a lot to me. I enjoyed researching and writing it. Learned a ton of new stuff. That missing/lost first Harley-Davidson intrigues me greatly. There could be follow up on that some time. There's more to the story as I hinted at the end.

Yes, the below 10,000# 1911 doubles are only from old records and not existing engines. But it does suggest that some non-A numbered twins were made. Maybe not many. That suggests the 1911 twin was introduced mid-year. I could figure out the approx dates from the regs If you guys are interested.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======
        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
          Thanks guys for the kind words about the Isam early Harley/Lang article. That's means a lot to me. I enjoyed researching and writing it. Learned a ton of new stuff. That missing/lost first Harley-Davidson intrigues me greatly. There could be follow up on that some time. There's more to the story as I hinted at the end.

Yes, the below 10,000# 1911 doubles are only from old records and not existing engines. But it does suggest that some non-A numbered twins were made. Maybe not many. That suggests the 1911 twin was introduced mid-year. I could figure out the approx dates from the regs If you guys are interested.
          Definitely interestested. Howard I am in Tennessee at the moment doing the A M C A road run. When home i will send you all the 11 double serial numbers and folks I have visited in the past few years
          Ross

Comment

I am currently working on my 1911 Merkel twin. It came with a single, and twin motor when I got it many years ago. I am curious if H-D frames of that vintage were designed for both engine types like the Merkel was.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Eric I was an early Indian guy thru and thru until this project 1911 HD twin. The 11 double frame is not the same as the single.Another big "one off" is the tool box and the gas tank. As for Merkel I am not up to speed. Luckily for me there was at least one original example to photograph extensively and take measurements. Then the hunt in earnest began. I now have everything both original and re-fabricated. Ken as far as your 11 single HD frame goes you may get lucky. On my way down to this road run I stopped in a Harley dealership which I believe to be an 11 rolling chassis with a 13 single engine. Maybe you can sweet talk theminto some kind of trade??? However the bike looks like it's been that way for a very long time. PM me and I'll give you the location.
              Ross

Comment

I envy you having a 1911 Harley double, Ross. It's my favorite pre J era Harley as they have a look all to their own. Just by coincidence, I've been reading Herb Wagner's 2 part articles on the history of H-Ds twins in the 2003 "Antique Motorcycle". Herb is such good story teller, and H-Ds roller coaster ride with their doubles in the early days is a great story.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for reminding me of those stories. Time for a re-read.
                  Ross

Comment

Here's a snapshot of 1911 Harleys chronologically registered in the 1909-1911 Wis MC Regs. As mentioned , 1911 motor numbers ran from 7600-10,000, plus all A-only numbers.

First 1911 number appears in Oct 1910: #8012, 4 HP, followed by #8340, 8143, 8744, 9542, 9302, 9112, 8947,9165, 9717, 9305, 8825, 8542, 8679, 8849, 8962, 8730, 9463, 8790, 9371, 9235, 9103, 9434, 9173, 9004, 9592, 9392, 9857. These were all singles registered between Oct 1910 and April 1911.

Also during April 1911: #9873 & 9889, both doubles.

In April/May 1911 the first A numbers appear, all singles. April: #435A, 169A, 769A. May 1911: 950A, 609A, 946A, 443A, 959A, 459A, 379A, 870A, 463A.

The first A-marked twin also shows up in May 1911: #922A, 7 hp.

In May 1911 more twins: 293A, 9119A (seems too high, mistake?), 137A, 1364A.

Unfortunately, the record abruptly ends here when they stopped recording motor numbers.

Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by HarleyCreation; 09-25-2016, 11:55 AM.
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======
                    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Great stuff Howard. As you know 922A is the former Otis Chandler twin sold at auction after his passing. I visited that bike at the new owner's home shortly after the auction. I tracked down the restorer and he told me that 922A was a decent original prior to the full blown resto. Nice that you actually have that number in old records. Mine is 304A.
                      Ross

Comment

Ross, it's July, and I just saw your 9/23/16 mention of a 1911 chassis. My want ads had no results. The 11 would be a belt drive, and 11 was the last year of a straight, top horizontal frame tube. In 1912, the top tube mitered down to the seat, for the new gas tank. I will pursue leads, and will be at Wauseon and Davenport. Ken Brugioni, kbrugioni@aol.com, Tinley Park, Illinois.

Comment

Hi Ken, I too will be at Wauseon vending at H1. Drop by for a visit.Since the last flurry of emails I have taken the 1911 twin engine apart and rebuilt fins etc and put in a new crank pin and such. The motor showed little wear inside and even the flywheels are stamped with 304A same as the engine serial number. I am happy that everything on the inside and the outside is matching numbers. Will be back at the project in the fall.Right now trying to hurry a Shovelhead along for upcoming AMCA Road Runs. Cheers
                          Ross

Comment

Working...
                          X