No announcement yet.

1913 Harley twin engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do believe that Ross did indicate that he was going to do a "repro" with the engine. I don't think that's the same as passing it off as real........... If he doesn't have the rest of it at this point, why not put it in a repro frame and ride it???? I think the more bikes we can put on the road the better..........

Comment

Make no mistake,I would never represent a finished motorcycle using this motor I have as being 100 percent original if and when we finish it. Where possible we will endeavour to locate original parts but it's getting pretty clear at this point that repro parts are the only way to get this engine on the road.If I wanted to pass it off as a fake the last thing I would do is post it for all the world to see.I feel very fortunate to have this engine and we will take our time and hopefully do it right as not to offend the original four founders.We're going to KEEP it, BUILD it and then RIDE it. Cheers

Comment

Right on! Put it on wheels. Martin must be jealous!

Comment

Ross,
          Thanks for sharing and good luck on your new project!
          I enjoy and try to learn from all of the constructive input this forum presents. Based on constructive input.......i hereby nominate Martin to be the AMCA Forum Chief of Reproduction Police. Seems to be qualified and the position appears to be open.
          Best regards
          johnny

Comment

RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!!!

Ross,

If it were mine and that was the only alternative to get it up and on the road was to go the repo frame route I would do the same.
            Should you get started on this project how about posting the progress photos.......to tease us

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
              I feel very fortunate to have this engine and we will take our time and hopefully do it right as not to offend the original four founders.
              You're not going to build a chopper with this motor?

That just gave me a really useless and terrifying thought: I wonder what the earliest Harley ever got built into a chopper? I remember years ago seeing a JD chopper but never anything older than that.

But in a nightmare LSD lunatic dream scenario I can see some hot dog building a chopper around an early motor like this 1911!

I wonder if it ever happened?

PS: Ross, I think they made about 400 1911 twins so that's a scarce motor considering what total 1911 production was.

Comment

Thanks HC. Not to worry, there will be no 1911 chopper project. However I once messed up a perfectly good 1967 BSA 650 in 1974. Harley rear wheel, sporster tank, moulded raked frame.I was the baddest man around(so I thought). Painted it with spray bombs.No key just a toggle switch etc etc. etc. Why not chop a Harley you ask? Remember I am Canadian. At the time that was a big bike. Ahh the good old days. Interesting to note the next two bikes I owned after that was a 1913 Indian( which I still have) and a 1943 WLC which was my daily rider. It's long gone but I have since replaced it with a 1942 WLC done up in Canadian military trim. Both my two sons and I ride the hell out of it. 400 twins produced, WOW! If I wasn't excited before I sure am now Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation

PS: Ross, I think they made about 400 1911 twins so that's a scarce motor considering what total 1911 production was.
                  I would like to correct HarleyCreation (myself) about "thinking" they made about "400" 1911 twins.

But I just looked at my early H-D (compiled) production chart to double-check my so-called memory and find that it actually says "about 700 doubles" for 1911.

The "about 700" number comes from an old 1914 source with info from the Factory and I correct the earlier "400" number that I gave.

Sorry Ross if your motor ain't quite as rare as I said but it's still a real honey!

Comment

Thanks for the update HC. 700 still sounds good to me. I have spoken to many interesting people who own complete machines and engines. Everyone has been extremely helpful. Many thanks to Danny,Lonny,Jim,Bill,Stuart,Brad,Ralph,Nick,Bruce, Tony. Can't wait to get your book!

Comment

Thanks for the update HC. 700 still sounds good to me. I have spoken to many interesting people who own complete machines and engines. Everyone has been extremely helpful. Many thanks to Danny,Lonny,Jim,Bill,Stuart,Brad,Ralph,Nick,Bruce, Tony. Can't wait to get your book!
                      Glad you're not mad. My error. I received your letter and your book is signed but please be patient as we are being hit by a spring blizzard which disrupted my plans for trek to the city!

Comment

Mad? Never. It's a hobby not politics or religion. By the way I would also like to buy your book Classic Harley Davidson Pub. 1999 Got any? If so another autograph would be great and I'll send you some more money. Thanks

Comment

Mad? Never. It's a hobby not politics or religion. By the way I would also like to buy your book Classic Harley Davidson Pub. 1999 Got any? If so another autograph would be great and I'll send you some more money. Thanks
                          You're right. It's a hobby and suppose to be fun. When it stops being fun a guy has to check himself. Some take it very seriously.

I don't believe that I have any copies of Classic H-D, but I'll check.

I'd say that you wouldn't believe the snow that is piling up here today, except that a guy in Manitoba WOULD believe it!

Did you get a gear/timing cover with 304A?

Comment

No timing cover. Blast. But I ordered a repro. for now. By the way it's minus 22. Last week guys were out riding. Go figure.

Comment

Hey Ross,

If Herb doesn't have a copy of Classic Harley-Davidson.......you could try rustcycle on ebay, he's selling a copy....he's out of Ontario and the item # is 160102274040......I got my copy from Cole's bookstore a couple months ago, it's another great book! Please keep us posted on your project progress. It would be cool to watch it come together......

Got about eight inches of snow here last night......and I was just getting used to the nice weather.........

Comment

Thanks C.O. I will follow up on the book. My friend loaned me his, it's great. I will post from time to time. I usually get the job done, but not as fast as others. You know how it goes, 50 hour work week etc, etc. My son needs my attention right now on the 36 Indian Jr. Scout and I am finishing a 13 Indian. But I am gung ho pumped to work on this project.

Comment

Working...
                                X