Judging System Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Period Modified vs. Original

I have a 1963 Police FL and have documentation from the MoCo that the HD componnents are as they were manufactured and constructed. However as a Police model in 1963, the ticket book holder, radio head unit, tranceiver/tranceiver box, lower police metal storage boxes, siren, pursuit and rotating beacon lights were "after market". So would this only be able to be entered as Period Modified?

http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/q...DSC00109-1.jpg

Thanks...Dale

Comment

Accessories, as long as they are from the corresponding period, are not judged as long as they don't detract from the bike. Your bike would be judgable in the regular class for 1963, not period modified.

Comment

JWL!

So even Police accessories are to be overlooked on a civvy machine?

I wish I never let go of a siren, but running one in The Land Of Blago (and that other guy) is an offense.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton,

That's my understanding. I've been told at the breakfast meetings at meets where I've judged that any accessory that is period correct and doesn't detract from the bike is not to be judged. It's been a couple years since I judged but I don't think the rule changed.

Besides, werent most police bikes just civvy bikes with the police package added at the factory? I know some CHiP bikes had special items not readily available to the public. I don't know of any special serial numbers or other distictions that a judge could use to tell a bike that came from the factory as a police bike from a bike that was made into a police bike after it left the factory.

If I'm wrong I'll stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
            Brian, Can you get us pictures of the three different versions? I have chrome and stainless versions. I don't know which came when.
            Here they are, The first one on the blue tanks is from a late 51. These are chrome plated brass and are marked "D.L. AULD co" inside under the D. There is another smaller line of script that I can't make out. They seem to have been used until early 52. Note how square the tops of the letters are.

This next set is on a somewhat early 52. The tanks were repainted green by the current owner in the 60's but the emblem is original. These appear to be made of stainless. Note the now rounded look to the tops of the letters. This is the version that is being reproduced. Don't know if the originals were marked. Maybe someone could let me know as I do not have a set here to look at.

Sometime towards the end of 52 there was a slight change in the lettering of the O. On previous versions the lettering was flat, now the O has a dimensional appearance to it. This emblem on the red tank is actually from a 54, It's just a better pic the area where the change was made. Looks like maybe a die repair. Again I don't know if they are marked, but would love to know.

Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

So, are these differences a matter of being at the right breakfast table, or should they be logged into a reviewable database?

Just causeing more trouble,

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Sounds like the perfect project for you, Tom. This is a good idea of yours. Get even more involved in judging by petitioning the powers-that-be to organize the judging results into a database form that could be searchable, be online, and available at least to the owners of the bikes in question. Then roll up your sleeves and offer to help set it up! This is a volunteer club, you know?
                I think it would be a great idea to make something searchable of the piles of judging results, and somehow also respect the privacy rights of the bikes' owners. Great idea, Tom! You have some ideas on how the pie could be sliced, and you're the perfect person to honcho the project! Wattaya say?
                Gerry Lyons #607
                http://www.37ul.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                  Sounds like the perfect project for you, Tom. This is a good idea of yours. Get even more involved in judging by petitioning the powers-that-be to organize the judging results into a database form that could be searchable, be online, and available at least to the owners of the bikes in question. Then roll up your sleeves and offer to help set it up! This is a volunteer club, you know?
                  I think it would be a great idea to make something searchable of the piles of judging results, and somehow also respect the privacy rights of the bikes' owners. Great idea, Tom! You have some ideas on how the pie could be sliced, and you're the perfect person to honcho the project! Wattaya say?
                  At your service!

What's it pay?

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Does the English word "volunteer" ("vä-lən-ˈtir") mean anything to you, Tom?

Actually, it came to English circa 1600 from the Old French: voluntaire (now volontaire), from Latin "voluntarius"

Meaning: a person who voluntarily undertakes or expresses a willingness to undertake a service, in this case, with no promise of monetary compensation, but great personal rewards and accolades upon completion of the task, "for a job well done," and the perpetual admiration of your AMCA fellows.

Try it, Tom! Everyone who makes the Antique Motorcycle Club of America function does it! Ask if you can get involved, turning whatever records the club keeps on judging into a searchable database, for all those good reasons you were stating a little while ago! You'd be performing a valuable service to your fellow clubmembers.
                    Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
                      Here they are, The first one on the blue tanks is from a late 51. These are chrome plated brass and are marked "D.L. AULD co" inside under the D. There is another smaller line of script that I can't make out. They seem to have been used until early 52. Note how square the tops of the letters are.

This next set is on a somewhat early 52. The tanks were repainted green by the current owner in the 60's but the emblem is original. These appear to be made of stainless. Note the now rounded look to the tops of the letters. This is the version that is being reproduced. Don't know if the originals were marked. Maybe someone could let me know as I do not have a set here to look at.

Sometime towards the end of 52 there was a slight change in the lettering of the O. On previous versions the lettering was flat, now the O has a dimensional appearance to it. This emblem on the red tank is actually from a 54, It's just a better pic the area where the change was made. Looks like maybe a die repair. Again I don't know if they are marked, but would love to know.

Thanks Brian
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                        Does the English word "volunteer" ("vä-lən-ˈtir") mean anything to you, Tom?
                        Yeah. Right.

I demand $60 an hour just to ride someone's motorcycle.

This has truly become a rich man's pastime.
                        I'll stick with my public service of scrounging through garbage, thank you.

.....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Brian, do you think it is safe to say that most of the 1951 emblems are chrome plated brass? Thanks for documenting those variations.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                            Yeah. Right.

I demand $60 an hour just to ride someone's motorcycle.

This has truly become a rich man's pastime.
                            I'll stick with my public service of scrounging through garbage, thank you.

.....Cotten
                            But hey!

Lets negotiate!

To begin with, ANYONE in such a position would require the Club to supply a state-of-the-art PC with full wireless capabilities and subscription, right?

Of course, it's use would be restricted to appropriate vintage motorcycling promotion and data collection, and all hardware and intellectual properties would be surrendered upon the end of the incumbent's tenure, right?

That's only fair and honest.

And then anyone in such a position would also need transportation and expenses to attend the many National and international meets, of course.

Then I could consider occupying the office of course, old buddy old pal.

.....Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-19-2010, 11:02 AM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              Brian, do you think it is safe to say that most of the 1951 emblems are chrome plated brass? Thanks for documenting those variations.
                              Eric, From what I've seen The first stainless ones don't start to show up until 52 somewhere in the 2000's serial numbers.
                              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                                But hey!
                                Lets negotiate!... Then I could consider occupying the office of course, old buddy old pal. ...Cotten
                                Talk to a member of the BoD, Tom. I think they're approachable. Most are on this forum, but they don't participate much. It might not be too far beyond the realm of possibility that you would no longer be an "outsider."
                                Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Working...
                                X