Can these wheels be saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can these wheels be saved?

Popped my old tire off and found some rust. Really don’t want new ones. Just sand and paint? Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Very common, just do as you suggested and they will be fine.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Wire wheel then Rustoleum primer or silver bridge paint.

Comment

Thanks. I think they have plenty of steel left in there too

Comment

After getting the rust off, I use a rust converter spray on them. You can use the Rustoleum brand and Eastwood has it too. It seems to hold up better and prevent future corrosion.

Comment

And for the future, never use a pressure washer or wand type carwash to clean your bike. Every spoke hole is a potential access point for water to enter the rims, and once there it starts the rusting process all over again. It also cane get past seals, and into every little gap causing things like rusted/frozen axles, ruined wheel bearings, etc.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Personally, Edgemont,...

I would ALOX-blast the rust down to 'gray metal', before encapsulating it with the goober of your choice.

There are many.

.....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Never use dish soap to mount your tires it is corrosive. Spend the couple bucks and buy some Ru-Glyde at the auto parts store it works wonders.

Comment

I use baby powder. And it makes your tires smell good.
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ammorest View Post
                    I use baby powder. And it makes your tires smell good.
                    Dave
                    Beware baby powder isn't talc anymore, Dave,...

A lot of it is corn starch, which holds moisture.

I found a discarded cone of pool table talc in the dumpster!

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Beware baby powder isn't talc anymore, Dave,...

A lot of it is corn starch, which holds moisture.

I found a discarded cone of pool table talc in the dumpster!

....Cotten
                      The Great Dumpster Diver strikes again !!

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post

The Great Dumpster Diver strikes again !!
                        Diving will never be the glory it was before '08, Folks...

Note also that pool cue chalk is great for filling bastard files to prevent loading up with soft metals.

Not only is there a zilllion uses for broken cues, but I fashioned straightening mandrels for HX airvalves from pool balls.

And those who know my booth from Davenport know that old "felts" don't go to waste!

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

One recent product I have used is Evaporust. Many people like this because it is non-toxic and not harmful to the environment. Awesome if you have time to soak the part over-night. Best results on metal parts that are smaller and corroded or appear to be unsalvageable; plates, stands, bearings, rails--it's good for all that and of course bolts. My vertical wheels all look like edgemont's photo when I remove the tires that usually have to be cut off the rim when you get them used from sellers. Anyway, they also make a spray form Evaporust and carry it at your local auto-parts or hard-ware store. I've never used the spray, though have had much success with the soak method and wire brush after. They really do look virtually new and all you do is apply, wait, brush and clean.
                          -JR

Comment

I had a pair of '40's 16" rims stripped of chrome at St. Louis Plating a few years ago. Has anyone had any experience with powder coating rims black ? Does it hold up ??

Comment

There is an old article in IMI about that very issue. I think it is one of Mike Tomas's early writings on chief wheel tech issues. That was one of the remedies he suggested for preventing corrosion and extending the life of the vintage Indian motorcycle wheel. He also suggested replacing all spokes with modern ones as the modern steel is stronger than what they made then, in the 30s, 40s and 50s.
                              -JR

Comment

Working...
                              X