Ryan's A.M.C.A. Giveaway bike build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Ryan,

Nice build, and I am interested in seeing it completed.

Now, If the shop there is as dusty/gritty as is most shops that do machining......

I would put a plug on the engine crakcase vent.....and everywhere else that has open holes.

Would be a shame to let a preventable piece of junk to enter the engine unnoticed and ruin your engine later on.

Keep up the good work.

George Greer
    George Greer
    AMCA # 3370

Comment

• Thanks for letting me be a part of the build Ryan. It was great working with you, the bike is a true and amazing piece of art and is the coolest 45 I have ever seen!

Comment

• I thought about the cable roller a bit more. Will the load stress on the roller fatigue the case half and eventually pull the case material from the case ? A chunk out of the case half would be disasterous. An alternative to stressing the case may be to fab up a bracket that fastens to the cylinder mounting and turns on down to the area the roller was intended for. Just a thought. Paps

Comment

• Originally posted by George Greer View Post
          Hi Ryan,

Nice build, and I am interested in seeing it completed.

Now, If the shop there is as dusty/gritty as is most shops that do machining......

I would put a plug on the engine crakcase vent.....and everywhere else that has open holes.

Would be a shame to let a preventable piece of junk to enter the engine unnoticed and ruin your engine later on.

Keep up the good work.

George Greer
          Thanks I put tape over all the holes yesterday.

Originally posted by TEACH View Post
          Thanks for letting me be a part of the build Ryan. It was great working with you, the bike is a true and amazing piece of art and is the coolest 45 I have ever seen!
          Thanks Kevin, means a lot. I appreciate all the help and all the stuff you taught me. See you in a week!

Originally posted by Paps View Post
          I thought about the cable roller a bit more. Will the load stress on the roller fatigue the case half and eventually pull the case material from the case ? A chunk out of the case half would be disasterous. An alternative to stressing the case may be to fab up a bracket that fastens to the cylinder mounting and turns on down to the area the roller was intended for. Just a thought. Paps

Thanks for the ideas, I will be sure to keep an eye on it as I start riding it.

We have been working like crazy the last few days trying to get everything done before the paint was finished today so we could start doing final assembly. A couple more of Carl and Matt's friends stopped by to give us a hand. Dave Monahan came from Minnesota for a few days, and Ross from Florida rode up on his panhead. He has had the same bike for over 30 years and has put over 600,000 miles on it!!

Yesterday Dave and I checked the carb out to make sure it was good and then mounted it. It was new old stock so it was all good. Then I had to drill some holes on the air cleaner backing plate that we made in the winter in order to mount it on the carb.

Here is the cut down air cleaner

While I was setting up the mill to drill the holes...I found this in the cabinet...my grandpa worked at Cleveland Twist Drill his hole career after the war so he actually helped me build my bike and many of Matt and Carl's!

Next I put together the headlight

Last night we did all the parkerizing but since we have been putting in such long hours and it was going to take a while for the solution to heat up...I decided to take a quick nap

These are all the parts parkerized.

This afternoon we got all the powdercoating back! Here they are hanging up fresh out of the oven.

The front end all put together for good.

Here I am standing on one foot while carrying the motor for the last time

Comment

• Here is how she sits now.

Comment

• Wow Ryan that bike is shaping up so nice! Been watching progress with great interest. What an opportunity. Hey - are you guys going to post a video of the first start and test ride? I know I would shure like to here it crank up.
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

• Great Job Guys keep up the good work and informative posts.
                Joe

Comment

• Your bike is looking great Ryan. At first I was surprised to see a picture of Ross at the Olsen's place in S.D. but then I shouldn't be surprised at all. Ross and Indianut are from St. Pete and are 2 of the hardest riding bikers I've ever known. They have proven you can literally ride the wheels off these old bikes.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

• Did anyone ever tell you to wear a bra Ryan ? Those jugs are a bit to large to go without one. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbenash View Post
                      Wow Ryan that bike is shaping up so nice! Been watching progress with great interest. What an opportunity. Hey - are you guys going to post a video of the first start and test ride? I know I would shure like to here it crank up.
                      Thanks! We will definitely post a video for all to see

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      Your bike is looking great Ryan. At first I was surprised to see a picture of Ross at the Olsen's place in S.D. but then I shouldn't be surprised at all. Ross and Indianut are from St. Pete and are 2 of the hardest riding bikers I've ever known. They have proven you can literally ride the wheels off these old bikes.
                      Ross was really cool, he told some awesome stories and I'm sure there are many, many more that he didn't have time for.

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                      Great Job Guys keep up the good work and informative posts.
                      Joe
                      Thanks Joe!

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                      Did anyone ever tell you to wear a bra Ryan ? Those jugs are a bit to large to go without one. LOL.
                      lol I haven't found one strong enough to hold them up

Today we finished up the wiring, got the primary all ready to go, and hooked up the throttle cable. Its getting so close! We've been couped up in the shop so much Matt and I decided to head into town for some dinner. It was my first time ever riding a panhead!

Here is how the bike sits now.

Comment

• AAhhh
                        Gray is good. Nice paint choices. Silent Gray is my favorite color of all Grays.
                        Joe

Comment

• Ryan,
                          Your bike is a true headturner. wow...
                          I'm looking forward to hearing it come to life.
                          Bob

Comment

• Thanks guys.

Sorry for the lack of updates but we have been work on both mine and Matt's Sears so haven't had much time. Right now I'm knocking out all the little stuff. Yesterday I worked for a while on rerouting a lot of the wiring to fit better the way everything is set up. Last night I got both tanks and the dash bolted down for good. A good friend of Matt and Carl's, Tim Yeates from Gibraltar flew in a few days ago and yesterday drove to Minnesota to pick up a bunch of Sears parts and my seat that Jordan Dickinson upholstered for me. It looks awesome, thanks Jordan!

I still have a list of things to do but its getting so close!!

Comment

• Ryan!! Very...very...very... cool!!! That bike is going to turn some heads in Sturgis!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                                Ryan!! Very...very...very... cool!!! That bike is going to turn some heads in Sturgis!!
                                Thanks!

Well I just finished up everything tonight so expect to see a video of her firing up tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                                X