Help me choose my next build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KNUCK View Post
    I just finished up another WR so I would have to go with the WRTT. Your lucky, I don't have anything to do, so hope to find something at the AMCA Dixon meet later this month.
    I have a line on a 45 year old stash of wr parts 80 year old grumpy bastard. Dow corning pistons NOS tanks crank shafts cams 3 sets of cylinders cases MR3 carbs I could go on and on. he will only sell me one thing at a time and he is only selling to me. this stuff was not for sale. He's the high side but he's got it all and tons of knuckle stuff. I'll post some pics tomorrow. my set of cams come this week. I didn't need them but it got my foot in the door

Comment

Another vote for the 249 Indian!

Comment

Originally posted by jruff View Post

Cotten come on put your 2 cents in. I was surprise you didn't comment on the Linkert MR3 and I have plenty of bikes worse then those
        I put in exactly that, Jruff!

I can't afford much more inflation.

Your pics of the MR3 are greatly appreciated, as I record model stamps in particular, Thanks!

Can't comment on it otherwise; I do a lot of inspection with my eyes closed, and never trust pictures.

...Cotten
        PS: I imagine your bronze body would survive better than the aluminum: http://www.beautyofspeed.com/gallery...rt/linkert.htm
        But all bets are off when it comes to the ZAMAK venturi!
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-06-2023, 02:31 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Can't comment on it otherwise; I do a lot of inspection with my eyes closed, and never trust pictures.

...Cotten
          PS: I imagine your bronze body would survive better than the aluminum: http://www.beautyofspeed.com/gallery...rt/linkert.htm
          But all bets are off when it comes to the ZAMAK venturi!
          Cotten, I'm going to be looking at an aluminum body MR3 is the venturi and probably the area around it the only areas of concern? I do appreciate any input you offer

BTW ITW did the rebuild on my MR3

Comment

Cotten, I'm going to be looking at an aluminum body MR3 is the venturi and probably the area around it the only areas of concern? I do appreciate any input you offer

BTW ITW did the rebuild on my MR3
            When inspecting any antique American carb, Jruff,..

There are always multiple 'areas' for concern, and often some unique damage or wear.

The borewear issue is common to all models, but those with bombsights cannot have their venturies saved by conventional swaging over-size to then cut to fit. So a radical approach would be necessary for a 'blue-print' rebuild.

ITW isn't here to defend themselves.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

ITW isn't here to defend themselves.

....Cotten
              Well I'm hoping ITW doesn't need to defend themselves. This is the first Linkert carb I had do deal with, there is an M88 that's on the bike now and starts on 1 or two kicks. My pan has an Super E

Comment

Well I'm hoping ITW doesn't need to defend themselves....
                Me too, Jruff!

I was the one who 'liked' your uncles' pics on the D-day thread, Thanks to all vets, dead or alive.

(And I don't do "likes".. . .)

....Cotten
                PS: If you ever take it apart, I could use pics of the nozzle and needle tips, even though I have never held one in my hands, and don't ever expect to.. .. Thanks.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-06-2023, 10:20 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

....Cotten
                  PS: If you ever take it apart, I could use pics of the nozzle and needle tips, even though I have never held one in my hands, and don't ever expect to.. .. Thanks.
                  I'll get you some pics in the next few days. Uncle Dominic was a huge influence on me

Having fun after war time. I wish the Brats of today had been able to get to know men like these who went willing to war and risked everything shed blood, lost their lives so these f tards could have a f---ing cush life...now I'm just getting pissed OFF 7 UNCLES AND MY DAD SIGNED UP NOT DRAFTED!!! AND ONLY TWO F---ING FLAGS ON MY STREET ON MEMORIAL DAY
                  1526226_10205638047894635_7245912845498232970_n.jpg18760_1356867485873_1731672_n.jpg my Uncle Nick on th e back of Dominic's Knuckle. Two up on a solo seat 18760_1356867525874_4285009_n.jpgUncle Nick 18760_1356867565875_4081061_n.jpg
                  Attached Files

Comment

OK, so two votes for the Indian Vertical and two for the Norton SS. This make me the tie breaker. Soooooooooo because I must have more time then sense, I'm going to do both. No time No space and no sense. So lets get started, tomorrow I will start a new topic and so we have more fun I'm going to try to do everything inhouse. The Indian started today the S.S. will start a day or two later.

Comment

Mr3, mr4, m53
                      image_38481.jpgimage_38482.jpg
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I'm only a student of carbs, Folks...

And I'm used to it, but forensics get real difficult when everythings' been stripped for the swap meet.

Back to JRuff's original toss-up, the point I should have expressed is that you fix your worst first lest you may never get to it!

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-10-2023, 10:03 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Back to JRuff's original toss-up, the point I should have expressed is that you fix your worst first lest you may never get to it!

....Cotten
                          I think the Indian is the worst out of 25 maybe more I'm really not sure. Don't think I'll get to them all I spent too much time on other peoples bikes when I should have been doing my own. I'm working on telling people NO! We'll see how good that works out. I'm building the Indian in my livingroom because the two shops have other people crap in them

Comment

I had something like a 249 come through the shop once, Jruff!

Come to think of it, it probably is your worst.

...Cotten
                            AMCA #776

Comment

....Cotten
                              Cotten I have pics of the MR3 how do you want me to send them?

Comment

Cotten I have pics of the MR3 how do you want me to send them?
                                I am not the only student of these things, Jruff!

So please post them here, so posterity might also be able to find them.

Looking forward to learning something, Thanks!

....Cotten
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X