No announcement yet.

1976 FLH Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Cotten, waiting on my clear timing plug to do it advanced.

Comment

Why time thru the hole.When your timing mark is in the right place in the hole,paint a white line on the alternator rotor & inner primary so you can time thru the primary inspection hole.Put the timing plug back in before timing.Works best with no oil in the primary for timing.

Comment

Please static time it first, Mark...

I ground an old pair of cheap pliers so the advance cam could be twisted to advance while the points could then be adjusted to where they just break with a 'static line' (a 12v bulb on leads).

The plastic plugs never worked for me.
        Just block the machine up straight and run it for a minute before you remove the plug.
        (Be careful with a rag over the hole because it can get sucked in.)

Duffey's method probably makes it possible to watch it move over a wider arc, if you need to...

...Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-09-2023, 09:51 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Every Shovel I build gets a Daytona Twin Tech single fire,multi spark ignition & VOES switch.If you want powerful smooth running with long life,ditch the points & those BS POS advance units.I agree with Cotton to static time before dynamic timing,On electronic ignitions that say to static time @ TDC,set the mark to the right of the hole [about 5deg BTDC].Also make sure you time to the right mark by checking the piston position at the marks.....You can watch the timing advance with my method.

Comment

Following up,
            Finished most all but the tins paint. Rode the bike for a few weeks and got it tuned well. The bike is riding very nice so time to pull it back apart for paint.
            Don't think I had mentioned I found a fairing at a swap meet that was painted the same color as the existing parts.
            This is the existing paint before I pulled it apart for paint. New paint will be Vivid Black with Birch white fiberglass parts.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            Last edited by marksg; 09-12-2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Starting to go back together with new. Still waiting on the fenders.
              Went with the age appropriate AMF tank stickers.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
              X