1976 FLH Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 FLH Build

My first Harley was 1978 but I currently ride a 2011 SG. I have been wanting a new project so I decided to rehab a Shovel or Pan. Wanting either in a FLH I decided a Shovel would be my best first attempt. Wanting to stay very close to original with windshield, fairing and bags but not Judging quality. I would just like to have a good looking good running Shovel for local riding.
    I decided to find a project bike and rebuild from the frame up. Found a 1976 @ Bike Week that had not run in 3 years. Many parts had been chromed but many of the original parts were there.
    Found out later the fairing was not original but Bags are and they are in good shape.
    Second week of owning I got the frame and assorted parts back from the sandblaster and powder coated. I have rebuild the transmission and have it in the frame.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    Last edited by marksg; 04-01-2023, 07:06 PM.

Transmission was disassembled and found in very good shape. Ordered a Jim's rebuild kit, replaced main bearing, a couple of bushings, seals and retainers. Pulled front forks apart and good condition but valves were pretty worn so I ordered a rebuild kit from VTwin with springs and valve. Seperate order for new seals and washers.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Started assembly of painted frame. Installed new cups, races and bearing for triple tree. Installed fresh trans and skid plate.
      Only problem I had with disassembly was where someone had used a 1/4 - 20 on the gas tank mount and it stripped the threaded bung. Had to cut the bolt off and will need to revisit this when I get to the assembly part. I will try to drill and re-tap the bung.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Went ahead and tore into the top end. Pistons are .010" over already but in perfect condition. Lots of carbon build-up. Good thing I was going to rebuild the S&S carb anyway.
        I haven't decided on how far to go on the engine yet. I will ring and hone the cylinders, lap the valves, change valve seals, upgrade the cam, replace all seals and gasket.
        Thinking about splitting the cases while I have it this far.
        If anyone has any recommendations about certain parts or areas I should replace, rebuild or give special attention to, now is the time.
        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Looks good, certainly no grass going under your feet.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I bought a wire wheel and a couple of polishing wheels for the grinder to clean up all the old parts. Found the wire wheel works great for the raw trany cases and used the polishing wheels for the lower fork tubes and misc parts.
            Expecting the fork rebuild kits by Fedex today.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Old fork valves showed some wear and corrosion so I ordered a rebuild kit that included new valves and springs. @ 240# I need all the spring I can get and I figured the old springs probably sagged a little after almost 50 years. Sure enough the new springs were about 3/4" taller unloaded.
              Finished the front end and mounted a bare wheel to check run out. Not great but I will keep it a little while. I am changing the bearing, seals, tire, tube, and liner.
              Decided to change the rear shocks to Progressive 412's. I had replaced front and rear with Ohlins on the Street glide and the difference was worth the money.
              Spent most of the day Sunday cleaning and polishing parts. Used paint remover and pressure washer to get paint off of cylinder heads.
              Would love to clean up and pain the wheel hub but figure the only good way to do that is to re-spoke and if I do that I would replace the rim as well. Maybe a future project.

Attached Files
              This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Nice job Mark. Reminds me of when I did my 1967 FLH swap meet find. I find it's amazing what gets done in garage's from shore to shore. Home restorations rock! The best is when the ridin' begins. Great work!
                DrSprocket

Comment

Before you split the cases, check the rods for up and down play, as well as twisting the front rod/piston. That will be your tell if a rebuild is needed.
                  AMCA #41287
                  1971 Sprint SS350 project
                  1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                  1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                  1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                  96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                  2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                  plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Thanks Bob, I usually overdue my efforts when I start a project. And I still work 55 hours a week and have a wife.
                    One of my large projects 10 years ago was an airplane build that took two years, where most people take ten.

Thanks Rich. I hope people enjoy the read. I am mostly doing it for my to just force myself to take pictures and document. I always enjoy reading others builds.

Joe, I had seen the process to check rod bearings and I have done that and feel they are good. My main purpose would be to replace the left main bearing and seal just because and to clean up the cases. Someone has painted them black and I would like to take them back to raw. I hate to do that without a way to keep the bearing dirt free and clean them when done.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Since you'll have the trans apart, I would install an Andrews 2:60 first gear and get rid of the stock 'granny low ' first gear.
                      VPH-D

Comment

Thanks, This and the recommendation by Joe are exactly what I am looking for. In this case the tranny is complete and back in the frame.

Comment

Mounted the front tire, replaced bearings and installed on the bike. Connected all the wiring at the triple tree. Wiring still looks good and all connectors here look good. I noticed all the electric on the bike uses the frame as a ground. I can not find any kind of ground going back from the front end to the frame either in the drawings nor do I remember removing anything when I disassembled.
                          I am thinking that grounding through the greased neck bearings is a bad idea. I figure I will run some sort of ground wire/strap from the lower triple tree to the frame.
                          Started the rebuild on all the brake components. Air did not get the caliper pistons out so I reconnected the front master cylinder and bled the brakes enough to get caliper pistons out front and rear.
                          The components are in good shape and can be rebuilt. Seems to have the original front caliper with decent brownish anodizing? So I just cleaned it up and rebuilt piston seals. The rear looks to be a later model style but repop. I had poor black paint so I stripped it and repainted and rebuilt. Stripped both master cylinders, painted and rebuilt. I have also ordered both new hoses. The existing had brake fluid so old it looked like mud. I was surprised when none of the cylinders were pitted. When I rolled the bike off the trailer when bringing it home the only leaks were the brakes leaving a trail of brake fluid as I tried to use them coming down the ramp.
                          Headed off to NC to do some riding on the SG for the next week.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Replace the stainless bushings and support pins if they are worn at all. The banana calipers are heavy and the early mount system is weak, and requires yearly inspection.
                            vph-d.

Comment

Thanks, The support pins and bushings are good. However for some reason the rear pad pis are half worn through. Those are being replaced.
                              This project may slow down a little as I picked up a 63' Duo-Glide this week while visiting and riding NC.

Comment

Working...
                              X