No announcement yet.

Dads Sport Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the parts missing from the bike is the horn. So I had to go thru my stash of parts for the right horn for 1941 ( and thru 1945 I think ). Fortunately I had one, and it has the right look for the bike:

EC1DE13C-7F57-49D9-A9BA-AC4A92E3E6E3.jpeg

I always liked the design of this horn face, I think the art deco style goes with the skirted fender style.

. 06E85092-D18D-4093-8B36-02583D54B274.jpeg

. 45842FDC-B45D-4F3F-AB99-A9D87FE42BBF.jpeg

It honks, so we’re good. Going thru my box of horns I also have the horn face Indian used on their military bikes, it’s exactly the same but it doesn’t say Indian:

. 097ECD42-EC54-4C0C-938E-D828195022D2.jpeg

Which I always thought was weird, I mean did they think the Nazis or the Japanese cared who made the motorcycle? Didn’t the jeeps have Willys stamped on the tailgate?

One last thing, I have also found this same horn face with WARDS stamped on them:

. D3456EC5-DCBD-498F-BA6F-237939B7AA98.jpeg

I have no idea what they came off of, but they show up at car shows from time to time. The horn itself is usually different then the Indian style.

Comment

While I was on the chassis I figured a few things needed to be cleaned up. The rear stand before and after:

1941 sscout 30.jpg1941 sscout 31.jpg

The main frame got the same treatment. For some reason the front of the frame was painted gold, and at some point in time both the front and rear frame section were painted white, then covered up in black. This thing gonna get some nice semi gloss black and be done with it.

1941 sscout 33.jpg1941 sscout 34.jpg1941 sscout 35.jpg

Next up I tackled the fork.

Comment

The forks looked ok except for all the paint missing from the right fork leg, so I took it apart and gave everything a good going over, cleaning the chromed parts and painting the rest.

1941 sscout 36.jpg1941 sscout 37.jpg

There is a ton of little parts on these forks.

1941 sscout 38.jpg1941 sscout 39.jpg

I was surprised how well the chrome cleaned up, I wasn't a fan of the chrome spring but its growing on me.

1941 sscout 40.jpg

All this fork stuff took like a week or so to wrap up, and then my friend Pete called the rear frame section all done, so that'll be next....

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hey no problem.

So I got the rear frame section back from welding but before painting it I wanted to give it a little test fitting. I scrounged up a set of cases and trans housing as a fixture and checked it out.

1941 sscout 42.jpg1941 sscout 43.jpg

1941 sscout 44.jpg
            after a little juggling and filing I was happy with it, so I don't foresee any problems during assembly. Then I gave the rear frame a quickie paint job and we're good.

1941 sscout 45.jpg1941 sscout 46.jpg

Next up I'll do the shocks.

Comment

2C331CA9-912D-4780-BC41-7F49435502BA.jpeg

Before I get to the shocks another part missing from the bike is the headlight. So I had to dive into my stash again and luckily I had the correct Dietz light with the wires coming out of the pedestal. Also the right patina for the bike. That’ll look good I think.

Comment

ok, lets get to the shocks. Gonna take them apart, make sure no broken springs, clean them up and reassemble.

1941 sscout 47.jpg

yuck, these need a good cleaning, but at least no broke springs.

1941 sscout 48.jpg

a little elbow grease, lacquer thinner, 3m pad and spray paint ready to reassemble.

1941 sscout 49.jpg1941 sscout 50.jpg

My homemade spring compressor worked fine, but those spring retainer clips are a bear to get out and put back in. It all worked out in the end.

1941 sscout 51.jpg

Comment

Well, time to start digging into the engine.

1941 sscout 52.jpg1941 sscout 53.jpg

Intake manifold off, like Cotten observed the original builder might have altered them, looks like he is right...

1941 sscout 54.jpg1941 sscout 55.jpg1941 sscout 56.jpg

someone did a little creative grinding, the second picture above shows comparison with stock manifold.

Next up I deal with a broken off spark plug....

Comment

It looks just about like all the Bonnes, Joe!

Obviously they were hand-hogged from the standard casting.
                    (Like so many industries, the "burr bench" was probably an "entry position".)

The carb bore that matters is the venturi, and with today's highway speeds, "dropping in" a Bonne venturi and nozzle should help.

Please don't forget to grind the manifold flange flat, and lathe-cut the carb flange to match.
                    (If your lathe is a small one, you may need to conjure a counterweight.)

CRBCTRWT.jpg

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-03-2021, 01:49 PM.
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

During disassembly the spark plug in the front cylinder refused to come out. Multiple applications of PB Blaster over a couple days and a longer breaker bar resulted in the plug snapping off at the threads, immediately followed by a string of curse words. So the head comes off, many more shots of PB Blaster alternated by a little heat from a propane torch and I figured it would easy-out out...

1941 sscout 58.jpg1941 sscout 57.jpg

Yeah, that did not go as expected....the plug body and the thread insert have apparently become one...oh well, I think Greer sells the inserts....

Comment

So I continued with tearing down the engine to see what I can find

1941 sscout 59.jpg

Somebody wasn't paying attention when they put it together in the past....

1941 sscout 60.jpg1941 sscout 61.jpg

So I pull the front cylinder and get a big surprise....any guesses?.....

1941 sscout 62.jpg She's a stroker........

1941 sscout 63.jpg

So I guess the title of this post should be my fathers Big Base Stroker Sport Scout....

Comment

It probably wouldn't have helped here, but there is a spray penetrant called Kroil, or AeroKroil that works much better than PB Blaster. Its expensive, so I save it for the tough jobs. Keep up the good work.
                          AMCA #41287
                          1971 Sprint SS350 project
                          1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                          1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                          1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                          96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                          2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                          plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

A 50/50 mix of acetone/ATF works great as a penetrant. Hope this helps someone......Smitty

Comment

some of us ADORE stroked flatheads. Yippee!!!

Comment

Well the teardown continued

1941 sscout 64.jpg1941 sscout 66.jpg

1941 sscout 65.jpg1941 sscout 67.jpg

wait a minute, what the heck.....

1941 sscout 68.jpg

Facepalm......I have found a lot of weird hardware on this bike, square nuts, socket head cap screws, flat head socket head screws, somebody must have dipped into a coffee can full of nuts and bolts when they put it together. Well, it'll get the proper hardware when I assemble it.

Comment

Working...
                                X