• Show
Clear All

• nuklhd
    replied
    nice. no more pretending huh?

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Finally got those little air cleaner bolt locks, so I was able to put that on. I think it's pretty much done now.

I kicked and kicked until I got oil returning, so that's one less thing I don't need to check on startup.

We still have crystals of salt on the roads... I cannot bring myself to torture a bike like that.

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Got a neat new horn.

Took it apart, greased up the internals, cut a new gasket, tuned the diaphragm, and voila!

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Finally made a little turnout to finish off the exhaust.

It's six degrees here. Six.

Feel like I'm never gonna ride this bike.
    Last edited by govmule84; 01-02-2018, 06:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
    Snow and knuckles were made for each other, give it some gas, you'll have the thrill of a lifetime
    Man, that thing's pretty.

Leave a comment:

• 1950Panhead
    replied
    but we may also be getting snow and rain and such, so that may be a no-g
    Snow and knuckles were made for each other, give it some gas, you'll have the thrill of a lifetime

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Alrighty. Got me a new kicker gear from the Good Old Motorcycle Parts Co. They're kind of close to me, and they actually have parts on their shelves, so they don't drop ship from V-twin and make me wait forever. Plug for those guys.

Stuffed it in there, buttoned 'er back up, and now we're ready to go again; I got full stroke on my kickin' pieces. I'm gonna try and fire it off Saturday, but we may also be getting snow and rain and such, so that may be a no-go. Anyone want to come over and drink beer and watch and laugh?

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Well, startup didn't happen as planned. I put fluids in the old girl, and we got her off the table, and when I went to kick it, my kicker stops here:

I tore into the cover, and I think this might be the problem... this ditch in the ramp is pretty deep.

I think the gear teeth are going into the ditch, but are unable to come out. Does anyone have any thoughts for me on this? Advice on what brand of aftermarket piece to replace it with?
    Last edited by govmule84; 12-03-2017, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Originally posted by Rubone View Post
    Very cool Liam. I have a large '48 star flag to go with my 44UL.
    That's rad! I noticed how "off" the flag looked, but I didn't think too much of it. Now the front fender looks juuuuust right!

You got pics somewhere of your UL so's I can go ogle it?

Leave a comment:

• Rubone
    replied
    Very cool Liam. I have a large '48 star flag to go with my 44UL.

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    I got a strange package in the mail today.

Turns out Dick, the oldtimer who had the bike before I did, always wanted to find a 48-star flag for the flag holder. I told him I looked for them, but they were too much money.

So he sent me something he bought from ebay.

I'm super-stoked... it was one of the most thoughtful gifts I could have imagined. Sunday is startup day. I have some stupid little stuff to install (Air cleaner element, replace worn shifter linkage, add fluids, replace seat toggle pin), and then my buddy is coming over to help me take it down off the table.

Stay tuned...

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Thanks! Documenting isn't that difficult; my phone has an awesome camera and all my pics upload to the cloud auto-magically. It's more work to remember to take the photo than it is to shoot it!

I'll see what I can do about a video.
    Last edited by govmule84; 11-22-2017, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nuklhd
    replied
    it is turning out very nice. a video of startup would be cool. I know the pics and documentation are a bunch of extra work so thanks for that.

Leave a comment:

• govmule84
    replied
    Originally posted by Rooster View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, that' an aftermarket direction-reversing bracket for use with a 'pull' spiral.
    Does the inner wire push or pull when you twist the grip? Perhaps the spiral has been changed to a 'pull' spiral, which often happened in the chopper days when running 'alternate' carburetors.
    It pushes. I would like to see the correct arm just for reference; nothing in Palmer's book looks like it would work to me. I can't really find a photo of anything that looks about right. Maybe I have the cable routed incorrectly.
    Last edited by govmule84; 11-22-2017, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rooster
    replied
    Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
    .........No idea what the hell this throttle arm is. The "right" one don't work. (Carb is M74B)

If I'm not mistaken, that' an aftermarket direction-reversing bracket for use with a 'pull' spiral.
    Does the inner wire push or pull when you twist the grip? Perhaps the spiral has been changed to a 'pull' spiral, which often happened in the chopper days when running 'alternate' carburetors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X