Flywheel truing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By any chance, Tom,..

Do you still have any of the original pistons and such to determine the original factor?

No matter what the model, when possible, the fossil record should rule.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

yes by chance, I still have the whole assembly, except for maybe the piston rings - can't remember right now off the top of my head :-) The engine is apart, but I just pulled the shafts and flywheels, rods and all out and set them aside, but their still together. I will have to read up on how to get the info, but I will try and then get back to you guys with the info. 1 piston has a hole in it and the other is at the piston making shop, having new ones made. When I get it back I will try to figure it out and let you know what it is. I think it is stock - guessing, my bores were stock and the whole engine looked pretty good inside.

Comment

For a guesstimate, Tom,..

Please weigh your intact piston, pin, and perhaps your new rings if similar design.

And then weigh your rod tops:

TOPWEIGH.jpg

The original reciprocating weight can then be calculated as two complete piston assemblies plus the rod tops.
        While on "knife-edges", weights can be applied at the wristpins until it achieves 'balance'.
        The applied weight plus rod tops divided by the original reciprocating weight will give the original factor.

My memory fails, but I think the difficult aspect with a Sport Scout is that the pinion main is smaller than the sprocket main, so the knife-edges must be different heights.

.....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-11-2021, 06:57 AM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

I did some looking today, I thought I had everything needed. I forgot, what I don't have is the wrist pins or the original rings. I will try to find some, I am getting new wrist pins, I would think they would be close to the same weight as originals ?

Comment

It appears, Tom,...

We might squeeze out a guess, but the true factor shall remain a mystery.

(...If there ever really was one!)

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
            X