No announcement yet.

Flywheel truing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you converted your kitchen to a shop?

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
      Have you converted your kitchen to a shop?
      I can't speak for others, Larry...

But my shop converts a kitchen daily.

Back to topic, I'd like to offer my taper theory: Its like a nail in oak: With each tightening and straightening, the shaft taper is wallowed and wedged into the counter-taper deeper and deeper.

This molecular-level interference can often only be released by shock.

Its my unproven hypothesis that the nut is basically an assembly device, and the motor could run without them, when all else is ideal.

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-02-2021, 11:52 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

A photo showing exactly where your high and low spots are will make a huge difference in helping you find a path forward. Even better if you could post a video showing how the indicators move as you slowly revolve the assembly between centers.

Generally, I prefer to correct skew first and splay second. From your description of high and low spots that don't seem to coincide; you likely have both going on. Many times I've been able to correct skew, but the splay is what leaves me around .001 on cast wheels. I'd be more afraid if this was happening to you on cast or forged steel wheels such as S&S.

Comment

I continued to work with the wheels today and had more success with a wedge, and pry bar. I'm getting very close to spec, but I am going to take a break and put them aside for awhile. Truing flywheels is like voodoo science; there is a goal, but how you get there is ambiguous to say the least. Again, I very much appreciate the interest, and advice members have shared.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

No comments on the comments below as I am just reading and learning. But I did want to say I enjoyed seeing that Sundstrand name on Cotten's bench. I grew up right down the street from Sundstrand back in the day when they were big in Rockford, Il. Rockford was big in industry years ago. Lots of jobs back then that are now all faded memories and empty buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by rms337 View Post
              No comments on the comments below as I am just reading and learning. But I did want to say I enjoyed seeing that Sundstrand name on Cotten's bench. I grew up right down the street from Sundstrand back in the day when they were big in Rockford, Il. Rockford was big in industry years ago. Lots of jobs back then that are now all faded memories and empty buildings.
              It was Caterpillar "salvage", RMS,..

From East Peoria, about three hours south of Rockford. Much of the plant has been leveled and replaced with malls and big box stores.

(I traded a fourteen-dollar DIXIE 6V regulator for it.)

Wedges kept falling out for me, Eric,
              Always as I was reaching for the prybar. So I used two 'crowbars', one in each hand, the smallest Harbor Freight offered back when.

You can feel the tweak.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Crowbars. Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  And since the wheels might be in and out of the centers a dozen times, ....Cotten
                  Just a dozen,Tom? I lost count on my wheels but my latissimus dorsi muscles are telling me it was a lot.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post

Just a dozen,Tom? I lost count on my wheels but my latissimus dorsi muscles are telling me it was a lot.
                    One associate noted with complaint, Eric,...

That my centers and presses were in separate rooms.

Just another reason I'm out of the motor business, I guess.

...Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Are you going to go with the S&S balance factor, Eric?

Sorry,..

I had to ask.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

I don't know, Tom. I've been talking with a friend who is currently working on a 1942 S.S. We've discussed doing both wheel sets at the same time so we could noodle it out and exchange advice. He's mentioned S&S balancing data. Seems like Sport Scouts are everywhere right now. . . Until you need certain parts !
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

I don't know, Tom. I've been talking with a friend who is currently working on a 1942 S.S. We've discussed doing both wheel sets at the same time so we could noodle it out and exchange advice. He's mentioned S&S balancing data. Seems like Sport Scouts are everywhere right now. . . Until you need certain parts !
                          Beware, Eric,...

S&S prescribes 60% for everything, arbitrarily. (They have also prescribed shaving the female rod top to incorrectly equal the male, which is worse than silly!)

It would be ideal if we could back-calculate the original factor, but everybody tears them apart first.
                          The best study of SS factor, and factors in general is Matt Elvenkemper's information at http://virtualindian.org/1techflywheel.htm, specific to SSs at: http://virtualindian.org/Flywheeltheory4.htm

Factor is quite forgiving in real life, but twenty points is significant.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Good information, Tom. I'll suggest that to my Sport Scout friend. Thanks.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

...Seems like Sport Scouts are everywhere right now. . .
                              Funny you should say that, Eric...

I have three SS manifolds simultaneously on the bench!

(Mostly because I'm slowing down..)

....Cotten
                              PS: There's a degree and a half difference between OEM nut bevels and the best reproductions. I really don't know why.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

very interesting, thanks for sharing. I am hoping to build my 1st engine a powerplus and I hope to try all this stuff. I am slowly getting all the parts together to give it a go. Having pistons made and just got new flywheels, cylinders are honed and cleaned up well. thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X