Clevis pin tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clevis pin tool

I made this simple fixture to drill homemade clevis pins for the cotter pin. I use 1/4" rivets, and turn the head down on the lathe. I always keep an extra clevis pin, and cotter pin in the bike toolbox.

apa.JPGape.JPGapd.JPGapf.JPG

In the last picture, (left) raw rivet, (middle) OEM H-D clevis pin, (right) finished clevis pin.
    Last edited by exeric; 03-28-2021, 03:25 PM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Thanks for posting. Looks like a nice setup.
    I’ve sheared clevis pins before and I’d think the rivet would be too ‘soft’ to use for a brake clevis pin. Have you had any trouble with them?
    Ralph

Comment

That's a good point, dommi7. I have about 10 old clevis pins and found 3 that were heat treated. I can see where hardened is good, and also where tough is good so would be curious what other think. Easy enough to heat treat small parts like that. I'm building my old trusty '51 right now and going through all the assemblies that rattle, and feel sloppy.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Nice jig. But 3 nos Factory parkerized clevis pins cost 10 bucks. What's the value of your time?

Comment

Originally posted by BNSONS View Post
          Nice jig. But 3 nos Factory parkerized clevis pins cost 10 bucks. What's the value of your time?
          ...another good question! BUT: 1) satisfaction of doing it, and 2) who needs a pound of rivets, may as well put them to use! = Priceless

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Actually, I made this fixture for Henderson, and Excelsior clevis pins. That box of rivets cost about $10. I have 2 Hendersons and each bike needs 8 clevis pins, and Excelsors use just a few less. I've also made a good number of pins, and clevis' for other brand X owners. . . There are other motorcycles out there in the world
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

What do you suggest on how to remove broken cotter pins out of clevises? I seem to have a collection of those.

Comment

I have a collection of small drifts that I have made by grinding old taps. You can make them to suit, and they are hard enough to move something like a rusted in cotter pin without bending. Easy to break though.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by BNSONS View Post
                  What do you suggest on how to remove broken cotter pins out of clevises? I seem to have a collection of those.
                  Have you tried a common chain-breaker, BNSONS?

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Eric,
                    Where are you buying your rivets?

Thanks Steve

Comment

My favorite store, Steve; McMaster Carr. No minimum order, easy to deal with, fast shipping, and a huge catalog of industrial stuff. A bit pricey, but not that bad, and quality has always been excellent.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric and Cotton, those are both good ideas that I will try.

Comment

Eric,
                          Thanks that is where I shop quite often!

Comment

Big Flats Rivets in NY sells rivets of all styles for about 10 cents apiece depending on size. No minimum but shipping is about $9 for the small flat rate box he uses.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              There are other motorcycles out there in the world
                              Sure. But only one of the original American companies is still in business. :-)
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                              X