32E Generator Repair/Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32E Generator Repair/Restoration

I am wondering if Dale Cashman who back in the late 90's was from the Virginia Beach Area is still working on and restoring Generators. If he is I was also looking for a possible current contact number or email for him if anyone can help me out. Thanks
    Last edited by Austy; 06-22-2024, 09:39 AM.

I will look to see fi I can find it but it should be in the magazine. He is in Texas now I believe. I had him do 3 for me a couple years ago and we had others who added theirs to the pile, .for a total of about 6. We arranged to give them to him at Wauseon. Took a couple weeks and we got them back.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

I’ve had good luck with Dick Lynn out of Ny. Fast, reasonable and no problems. PM me if you want his number.

Comment

Phone # for Dale 1-573-754-6294 , remember depending on where you call from the time difference. I think it's Winnsboro Texas.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy\
        AMCA #12766

Comment

Paul Benassi has rebuilt about 15 generators for me. fast, high quality & affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
            Paul Benassi has rebuilt about 15 generators for me. fast, high quality & affordable.
            I second Paul's work. He has done 5 generators for me over the years with no problems

Comment

Thank you Rollo I was able to make contact with Dale today. FYI, he is now in Missouri
              Last edited by Austy; 06-26-2024, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Just for added info, Rob from Retro-cycle did a conversion from 6V 3 brush to 6V 2 brush on my 57 with the electronic cut-out replacement. Has worked fine since he did it 5-6 years ago or so. He just did a rebuild on my 68 genny and I went home, put it in and works perfectly. So if you are on the east coast I highly recommend him. Nice guy also.
                D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Howdy chaps,

I did what Mr. Bagin did with the 32E on my 41 FL, u can view the sequence of mods at my gallery below commencing with the install of a Quick Start 2000. The foundation of this conversion is the superb VTronic regulator. You will need to fuse it, no mechanical breakers. As I run all LED’s for low system load, I’ve fused the regulator at 10amps and the system at 15. Some would bypass this mod and just go to Cycle Electric under the premise a generator of this vintage is not reliable. Generators of this era are very overbuilt having had to deal with third brushes creating excess heat by overly duty cycled operation. With electronic regulation they are loafing, brushes last longer, commutator segments far less blackened and worn.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...41FL/i-466wFK5
                  Cheerio,
                  Peter
                  1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I had my 32E rebuilt by Rich Brown (ad in our Antique Mtcy. mag). Very nice work, and a good guy to do business with. The 32E on my '48FL was done by the Dragon Man back in 1986 and it still works quite well.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      ...The 32E on my '48FL was done by the Dragon Man back in 1986 and it still works quite well.
                      I got Mel indicted, Eric!

DRAQON4.JPG

....Cotten
                      PS: Sorry I can't remember the year or rag, but I included the backside of the clipping because its relevant.

AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Paul Benassi sells voltage regulators that are potted (the circuit board is in an aluminum container which has a sealing material that protects it from moisture, etc. I am an electrical engineer that does board level design of commercial products and anything that is designed for use outdoors (in heat/humidity/pollution) will be coated with conformal coating or potted to protect the electronics. So, if you plan on actually riding your machine in the rain or using it regularly, I recommend that the regulator you use have some type of sealant on the circuit board. Components on these boards are so small these days (resistors the size of pepper flakes) that moisture and dust can easily form parallel paths around them for the current to flow which in the worst-case cause circuit failure. I would not recommend you coat the boards on your own unless you research the coating as several materials that can protect a circuit board from moisture will actually conduct electricity. Modern active electronic regulators are a lot more fragile than a wire coil switch that our motorcycles were designed to operate with. On top of that, most of our beloved Harleys have the regulator mounted at the front of the motor where is gets a healthy dose of water/exhaust/heat cycling and general microscopic trash sprayed all over it. Potting or coating also protects the components on the circuit board from vibration which can also cause failure. I am not promoting one vendor's product over another; the electrical portion may work just fine - it just pays to keep the circuits dry and uncontaminated.
                        Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63
                        1915 Harley Davidson 11F Twin

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

I got Mel indicted, Eric!
                          So, I assume you were taken off his Christmas card list, Tom:)

Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post

So, I assume you were taken off his Christmas card list, Tom:)
                            Too long of a story, Eric,..

But third hand from a top Illinois State Police Inspector who handled me, or maybe it was the super-shady middleman that was a witness in court, told me:

Mel "beat his chest" at the judge demanding me by name.

I never replaced the '65 cases he felonized. Still have the chassis scattered.

....Cotten
                            PS: Back to topic:
                            I have 32E cores, some not fossils, a 52E (whatever), shelved M61s, M65As, etc.,
                            Can be delivered to Davenport Liberty@npoint.net Thanks!
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; Yesterday, 08:05 PM.
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                            X