Need referrals for 24 Scout tank pinhole repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need referrals for 24 Scout tank pinhole repairs

I have a 24 Scout with old paint with pinholes in bottom. I've cleaned it inside with Evaporust and a hand full of bolts and have knocked the rust loose that was keeping it from leaking. Surely there is someone out there who provides as a service soldering up the holes or cutting and patching the weak bottom while maintaining most of the patina to the tank. HELP!!!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Daron, I think that Indian head tank decal is much later so saving the paint (and decal) could be optional. Would open up a few more options for you,
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

pisten-bully, you are correct that the decal is later but the patina is even on the bike painted in probably the 30's. Not confident I could get the similar look with a new tank distressed to look old.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I would consider a quality tank sealer. I've repaired my own tanks via solder, and new panels and that requires surgically clean metal to work with; ergo, all paint is removed. You really don't have anything to loose by using a tank sealer and if the repair doesn't work, you can always remove the sealer with paint remover, and MEK. Just make sure the sealer has clean metal to stick too.

Love your Scout and I can see why you want to preserve it.
        Last edited by exeric; 03-09-2021, 06:02 AM.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Pin hole rust: almost completely rusted through
          The Linkert Book

Comment

Beware Daron,..

Sealers are primarily to prevent future corrosion.

Please don't trust even the most fuel-resistant sealer readily available, 'Red-Cote', to fill every microfissure.

Your tanks must be mechanically sound first. Any oldtimey radiator shops left in your neighborhood?

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-09-2021, 05:04 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yet kitabel and T. Cotten the potential repair must be better than a sealer as a band aid. The bike is rebuilt and sound enough to ride so sitting on a few gallons of gasoline above a hot twin isn't something I take lightly. The goal is to replace by patching the porous bottom of the tank with new metal. A scar at the bottom edge will match the rest of the bike so I can live with that. Worst case it becomes shop art and I buy a new tank and distress it.

Comment

If you knew you were going to do a mechanical repair, why ask?
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Exeric , To find someone willing and capable to do it for me. Thought that was clear.

Comment

Find a radiator shop that builds them for vintage/brass cars. Easy job for them.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Daron View Post
                      I have a 24 Scout with old paint with pinholes in bottom. I've cleaned it inside with Evaporust and a hand full of bolts and have knocked the rust loose that was keeping it from leaking. Surely there is someone out there who provides as a service soldering up the holes or cutting and patching the weak bottom while maintaining most of the patina to the tank. HELP!!!
                      I recommend a franchise fuel tank service called Tank Renu. They started primarily for antique tractors and four wheel vehicles. I used it for a leaky tank on an old Sportster but one that wasn’t in relatively bad shape overall. It cost me $300. Yes I could have bought a repop or ever a good used for less than that but it is what it is. They can actually effectively create a ghost tank inside the damaged tank out of a fuel friendly resin. It was it even 1/4 “ thick but is tough as all get out. A friend used them on a old Willys Jeep Wagon with holes animals could and did enter the tank. It has work for him for years. It’s worth a look as an alternative. I had to drill a wider passage in the petcock bung to get it big enough for it to fit the id. The resin is tough even to drill. they are around the country I had one right near home. Just know that prep work takes off all finish

https://www.gastankrenu.com

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post

Just know that prep work takes off all finish

https://www.gastankrenu.com

Mike Love
                        I'm sorry Daron I know you are trying to keep the original paint finish. I am certain there are some talented paint artists out there that can create a believable faux aged look while you put the original tank away as an original part for whole retention purposes. Here is an article from Hotrod.com about the subject of faux age.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/aged...evable-patina/

Mike Love

Comment

Thanks Mike, I agree with all that and it likely may be my route. A new tank is available from Germany for $1200 and my caps and pumps fit it. My paint is from probably 30’s and decal is wrong so it’s a viable option. I appreciate all the input so far. That’s why I reached out to the community.

Comment

You could try a local welding company, look in the yellow pages (haha) or google. Don't tell them it's a gas tank until you see them, they get nervous. Once they see it's never had gas in it, they will be fine.
                            AMCA #41287
                            1971 Sprint SS350 project
                            1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                            1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                            1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                            96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                            2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                            plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by Daron View Post
                              I just looked at the photo of the tank and I may be wrong and maybe its already been discussed but the Indian brand image looks like a stencil.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                              X