• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harleyson's View Post
    Bitte, gibst du uns die Geschichte uber der Zyclone photo.[/QUOTE

TWO INTERESTING OLD-TIMERS

http://www.harleysons.de/CyclonePLAbel.JPG

P. L. Abel "the wandering Jew" and the Strand motor,

used on the old Cyclone motorcycle (1914)

The Cyclone was the first motor to get near the 100 mile an hour mark,

and speed records made by it stood for many years.

The overhead cam shaft and liberal use of ball bearings throughout seems

to be the source of the soup. Instead of push rods two shafts with bevel gears

as shown extend from the timer case to the top of the cylinder. The cams act directly

on the ends of the rocker arms, which are provided with rollers. Instead of a gear train

to drive the Bosch magneto it is also driven by a spur geared shaft on ball bearings.

The Cyclone used the once famous cradle spring invented

by Oscar Hedstrom and used by the Indian until 1916.

Mr. Abel, the Owner of this interesting motor,

started in the bicycle game in 1883 on the west coast.

In 1899 he moved to El Paso, his present location.

He was a member of the original League of American Wheelman, No. 2445.

He formerly had the Henderson agency in El Paso, but is now doing mostly repair work.

(Motorcycling, March 12, 1930)
    there is a certain person i know who has an un finished cyclone ,and i believe when he told me the story of acquiring it west texas was mentioned. interesting. i will check it out.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Originally posted by sveger View Post
      Folks I dont want to be picky, but who is the source of the fact that Andrew was Swedish? Strand is a common name in Denmark as is Anders (Andrew in english). Joern (Jørn) is an even more common name in Denmark and not at all in Sweden as far as I know.

I`d say Indian for Sweden, Cyclone for Denmark, Iver Johnson for Norway, Harley for Scotland, Excelsior for Germany etc?

Sverre
      AMcN
      http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
      Please don't forget the great Norwegian Ole Oleson Evinrude!

Fritz,

Interesting little history. The photo must go with it.

Also found this:

"Cyclone"
      George A. Ashley
      Distributor for Greater New York
      1213 Bedford Ave. Brooklyn
      aus: Motorcycle Illustrated, Sept. 2, 1915 (ad)

I wonder how many Mr. Ashley actually distributed?

Several, few, one, or none?
      Last edited by HarleyCreation; 02-15-2010, 01:16 PM.
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

So our combined resources can't even come up with a 4th road model Cyclone?

How sad....
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
          So our combined resources can't even come up with a 4th road model Cyclone?

How sad....
          Don't lose the faith ......
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
            Don't lose the faith ......
            You are right. Keeping the faith in spite of everything is important. We know that the motorcycles Fates (gray and yellow ghosts!) are on our side. Everything so far proves it, altho one should always expect the unexpected in this game.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======

Comment

Cyclone racer in H-D frame with Merkel fork.
              http://www.khulsey.com/motorcycles/z...ohc_racer.html
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I hear that Reading Standard racers were equipped with Cyclone engines and possibly took over Cyclone. Any truth to this?
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                  You are right. Keeping the faith in spite of everything is important. We know that the motorcycles Fates (gray and yellow ghosts!) are on our side. Everything so far proves it, altho one should always expect the unexpected in this game.
                  Then let the digging continue.........
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                    I hear that Reading Standard racers were equipped with Cyclone engines and possibly took over Cyclone. Any truth to this?
                    I've heard something similar Chris but it was a last attempt at holding onto some form of the Cyclone line ........here's a pretty good article. There seems to be no references for proof but the three pages make a good read anyway....

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...ike?page=0%2C0
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Notice in the blurb about the R-S/Cyclone that it continued to have reliability problems.

If the few Cyclone road models produced also were unreliable, that might have contributed to their sudden demise before real production got underway. Along with WWI economic factors, of course. That was a bad time for small motorcycle factories.
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======

Comment

• I recall reading somewhere that Reading sold the design etc. to some firm in Europe. I have always speculated that this design may have then morphed into the late twenties "Koehler Escoffier " bevel gear ohc racing twin of which I read only 13 were made and has an uncanny resemblance to it's possible forebearers. Am I alone in this idle speculation?

Comment

• It appears that the Cyclone motorcycle wasn't a very good design. It looked better than it ran.

For example, here are two newspaper articles that aren't too flattering.

09/16/1916, The Evening Tribune, Albert Lea, Mn.

"The Cyclone motorcycle is some cyclone all right, all right. And even if it looks in action like a yellow streak, it doen's seem to show a sign of a yellow streak while on duty."

03-18-1917 Galeveston Daily News

"Motoring Department: I am anxious to know the proper method of grinding in valves. I have a Cyclone motorcycle which has developed leaky valves and have tried to stop the leaks and cannot get good compression. Perhaps you can advise me how to do it and how to get the results. An early answer in your columns would be very much appreciated. C.E.L."

Looks like you can ad another one to your list Herb as this second one is on Texas. And we even have the intitials of the owner.

Dick

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Originally posted by pem View Post
                                It appears that the Cyclone motorcycle wasn't a very good design. It looked better than it ran.

For example, here are two newspaper articles that aren't too flattering.

09/16/1916, The Evening Tribune, Albert Lea, Mn.

"The Cyclone motorcycle is some cyclone all right, all right. And even if it looks in action like a yellow streak, it doen's seem to show a sign of a yellow streak while on duty."

03-18-1917 Galeveston Daily News

"Motoring Department: I am anxious to know the proper method of grinding in valves. I have a Cyclone motorcycle which has developed leaky valves and have tried to stop the leaks and cannot get good compression. Perhaps you can advise me how to do it and how to get the results. An early answer in your columns would be very much appreciated. C.E.L."

Looks like you can ad another one to your list Herb as this second one is on Texas. And we even have the intitials of the owner.

Dick
                                Good finds!

That first one is a little obscure to me, but the second is clear enough.

Yep, looks like we got a 4th road model Cyclone in our virtual registry.

Is there a number 5?
                                Herbert Wagner
                                AMCA 4634
                                =======

Comment

Working...
                                X