Cyclone production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclone production numbers

I was talking to a guy the other night and he claims the company that made the Cyclone motorcycles only produced 6 of them from 1912 to 1917 and that they were only painted yellow.
    I have tried to search here for some information but it seems that I recall that they also being painted blue and although I don't know the amount of motorcycles made, I have to believe that there were more than 6 if they were being used in racing and hill climbing.
    Is there some one here that can point me in the proper direction.
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

I can't recall production numbers off hand Chuck but your definitely right on the "blue" theory. Here's a shot of J.A. McNeil on a clearly NOT yellow machine. Somewhere I have pic of Don Johns on a blue machine as well. You've renewed my interest in Cyclone again. I'll do some searching and see if I can't help you out. I do think that there were more machines built than six though. In the meantime maybe somebody else will read this and provide you with some answers!

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

I can't vouch for accuracy on this site but it's something to start with.......

http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?ID=1701325
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

It dawned on me that Walneck's back issues are available on google books. I asked about the hybrid mentioned here... http://books.google.ca/books?id=igE3...rcycle&f=false .... in an earlier thread but nothing came of it. The article starts on pg. 24 and if nothing else it's a pretty good read. It mentions at least two dealerships on each coast so there had to have been a few bikes made in the Cyclone run.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory,

I found a couple of articles to, one was the half million dollar auction you posted
          I learned something about them last night, I always thought that they were built specificaly for racing and hill climbing the article mentions "road bikes" I couldn't find anything to the amount of them produced I realise that they were only in business for about 7 years and if the 6 or 8 are close to being true, then it only ad's up to one a year.
          throwing road bikes into the mix would make me think maybe 6 or 8 a year.
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Oh another thing, I would love to see a cyclone hooked up to a flexi in one of those "teens" track races.........that's just the sidecar part of me
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

6 machines??!! ridiculous! there are over 6 remaining. Jurassic has all the details, maybe he will chime in. Blue? maybe but how can you prove it other than anecdotal.

Comment

In 1973 this beauty was for sale for $3500. Restored from a racer back to a road bike by the original guys who built it! ! How's that for a change? Left to right Roy Egberg, Andrew Strand, Paul Paladi. Could this bike now belong to Lane Plotner? I think Lane's bike came from Harrahs and $3500 was big bucks for an old bike in 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                  6 machines??!! ridiculous! there are over 6 remaining. Jurassic has all the details, maybe he will chime in. Blue? maybe but how can you prove it other than anecdotal.
                  I will be the first to say that I know very little about them I just found it a little hard to believe that there were only that few made also.

The one article that Cory posted a link to states 12 known to remain I honestly don't know the amount as for the color blue seems that somewhere I read about that just don't remember from where or who.

Real nice photo of that bike Barry I didn't know that Cyclone made road bikes that was something I learned about them since first asking about them, that is a real interesting rear supension that bike had what year is it?
                  Last edited by Chuck#1848; 01-25-2010, 08:48 AM.
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I think it is a 1915, The colour blue comes from a conversation collector Dan Statnekov ( Cyclone owner) had with the now dead legendary board and other track racer Jim Davis who claims to have raced against one painted that colour.

Comment

I remember an old timer telling me that the best combination was a Cyclone engine in a Harley frame with a Merkel fork.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I think it is a 1915, The colour blue comes from a conversation collector Dan Statnekov ( Cyclone owner) had with the now dead legendary board and other track racer Jim Davis who claims to have raced against one painted that colour.
                        I am mistaken. It is a 1913

Comment

Cyclones

Lane's Cyclone is a road model (have rode w/him on at least a half dozen road runs) with out the rear rack. Bill Lattin's Cyclone is also a road model and does have the rear rack attached. Shorty Thompkin's Cyclone was the one that sold last year for mega bucks. In 1982 at the old Hanford meet (held down down in the town square) had close to a half dozen Cyclones in attendance. I had several photos of them but have loaned them out or gave them to some one. All of them were yellow. Bill's dad Jim has the original Don john's machine that raced and won the race here in Sacramento in '14 or '15 (I have the clipping from the local paper from that date here somewhere) and Joe Petrali was hanging on the rail at track side. He was about 10 yrs. old. it's what got him into racing. I remember when that machine was first hauled out to the old SandHill Dick mann meet and jim jumped right on it. It still had nylons wraped around the open ports at the bottom of the barrels. I've had photo's of at least different 12 motors. Hope this helps. The Ghost
                          DrSprocket

Comment

Wow, for some reason I had thought I had read about the color blue in a book somewhere and just assumed when I posted the J.A. MacNeil pic that the bike he was on was blue. That's a very interesting story on going on Jim Davis' word when choosing a color for a Cyclone. I'm sure he possibly could have raced against a blue bike but did it come that way from the factory? Thanks for weighing in Barry.
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Dr.Spocket! Did the Don John's old racer get fired up at the Sandhill meet? I'm sure it sounds awesome! It's nice to see a real deal survivor from that era. Especially one that John's wrestled around the track! Some of the best race stories involve him.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X