Cyclone production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyclone

Cory, It's never been fired that I know of since John's stepped off the saddle. The patina is so perfect no one wants to wrench on the motor. Just an iconic piece of history. I have seen and heard one on the track at Davenport years back.
    DrSprocket

Comment

Rare Bird

They spoke of the Cyclone racers as "yellow devils" at the time, so the blue option must have been unusual even then.

While 6 Cyclones total may be too low, they did not make very many. In all my years of looking in old mags I have seen just one road model delivered, and that was to a dealer as a demonstrator. Big production was promised at that time, but never proved up as the Joerns company folded shop and unfolded their chair line.

Also, I have looked at 1916 motorcycle registrations and not a single Cyclone is listed for Wis. NONE! If there was any significant road bike production, something would have turned up. But there was not a single one. My gut hunch is that Joerns mainly built racers, and then quit.

Barry, didn't you once post a c1915 photo with a Cyclone and a Milwaukee stamp on it? Could you repost that? I have my 1915 file out and think that race might be mentioned. If you want to...
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        I remember an old timer telling me that the best combination was a Cyclone engine in a Harley frame with a Merkel fork.
        Could be. One of the Cyclones at Dodge City in 1915 broke its frame and was out. By Sept. they didn't have enough running bikes to send one to the Chicago Speedway race. Too bad as the "yellow devil" would have scorched the smoothly planed boards.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======

Comment

Comment

Blue Cyclone Racers

I was going through my copy of American Racer today and found five black & white photos of Cyclone racers. All but one say they were taken in 1914 or 1915. Each of these early photos has a dark colored tank/frame (maybe blue) with lighter colored "Cyclone" lettering.

The one photo of what appears to be a yellow Cyclone racer was taken former racer D.O. Dave Kinnie with a restored racer in 1979. Could be blue Cyclone racers were more common than we thought.
            David Morrill
            Sylacauga, AL. USA.
            AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
            Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
              Cory, It's never been fired that I know of since John's stepped off the saddle. The patina is so perfect no one wants to wrench on the motor. Just an iconic piece of history. I have seen and heard one on the track at Davenport years back.
              I guess I could see where a fella could be torn on whether to touch that old Cyclone. Man it would be cool to hear it run though! I've seen pics of one on the track in Davenport. Did the pilot of the bike crank it up? Just curious..... I could see how one would want to be mighty careful as well.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by dlm32 View Post
                I was going through my copy of American Racer today and found five black & white photos of Cyclone racers. All but one say they were taken in 1914 or 1915. Each of these early photos has a dark colored tank/frame (maybe blue) with lighter colored "Cyclone" lettering.

The one photo of what appears to be a yellow Cyclone racer was taken former racer D.O. Dave Kinnie with a restored racer in 1979. Could be blue Cyclone racers were more common than we thought.
                I too dug out my copy of Steve Wrights book and the old photos do appear as though the paint is dark in color. Maybe my eyes are just fooling me.......

Here's an ad from '17. It doesn't seem like too bad of a deal even for then... too bad it didn't specify what color it was......

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                  I too dug out my copy of Steve Wrights book and the old photos do appear as though the paint is dark in color. Maybe my eyes are just fooling me.......

Here's an ad from '17. It doesn't seem like too bad of a deal even for then... too bad it didn't specify what color it was......

Cory,

Is he refering to Buffalo NY in the ad? what year is the magazine the ad is from?

Heck....I'm south of Buffalo
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Chuck, I got the ad from a 1917 copy of Motorcycle and Bicycle Illustrated magazine. I assumed the ad was based out of New York....... better get diggin'.........
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

And the hunt begins...... It all starts with a lead. Kinda feels like National treasure and the clues. Best part is the hunt

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                        Chuck, I got the ad from a 1917 copy of Motorcycle and Bicycle Illustrated magazine. I assumed the ad was based out of New York....... better get diggin'.........
                        MC Illustrated was def. a New York publication. The delivered Cyclone I saw from a late 1915 mag was to a eastern state. Maybe even Buffalo, N.Y. I'll try to find it.

Big drop in value to $100 suggest Cyclone was NOT well thought of like it is now. Mags in one place described it as a "freak." That was like a curse back then. Plus by 1917 the company was defunct and the bike an orphan. Should have bought a Harley, Ex, or Indian!

Barry, I'll try to identify that race. BTW, I'd bet $100 that is Carl Escherich. That's his face!
                        Last edited by HarleyCreation; 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM.
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======

Comment

Herb, I am really curious to know who that tall guy with the Harley jersey is. Looks like a "spy" from Harley ! Is that a camera strap? It is the only Harley reference in the photo. The sticker on the back read it was framed in Milwaukee.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                            Herb, I am really curious to know who that tall guy with the Harley jersey is. Looks like a "spy" from Harley ! Is that a camera strap? It is the only Harley reference in the photo. The sticker on the back read it was framed in Milwaukee.
                            From "Milwaukee" on back I'm assuming it's a Milwaukee race.

Too bad, but I found 4 races held at State Fair Park in Milw. in 1915. Still looking as time permits. I know Cyclone was there in some: Don Johns and Carl Escherich are named.

Tall guy might indeed be spy. Face doesn't show up too good, but height might be clue to who he is. If we find out his identity (name) we probably know all about him!
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======

Comment

Here's a close up. of the "spy"

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                                Here's a close up. of the "spy"
                                He is a spy alright. But what you don't understand is that he was really from the Wigwam.
                                Be sure to visit;
                                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                                X