Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos

Chuck
    I am working with an antique computer and connections that is about to change soon hopefully. Pictures have been taken through the process to share with all who are interested; hopefully I will post them soon. Last night I was up to 2:00 AM putting the frame together from four seperate frame sections all correct components for a 1914 twin. I had Doug, a friend come over who is an expert at sweat brazing we welded the frame together in about six hours. Next is to repair an old damaged and repair from the past where a tube by the muffler/fender mount had broke. Thank you for your interest and stay tuned for further updates. More parts are on there way.
    Joe

Comment

Thanks,Joe

Hey I can relate to the computer trauma same problem in my house,the majority of what I try to do on line is at work

The early bikes just amaze me I only hope in the end that the cannon ball run may swing into western new york because if it does I will be taking some time off in hopes of seeing and filming it

Thanks again and good luck!!!
      Chuck
      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Jackpot

I was searching through parts bins tonight and found the gold mine of parts. Several years ago, Scott, a friend of mine allowed me to dig through his early parts to help me out with keeping these old bikes rolling. Scott told me he appreciates me bringing old bikes to the meets and riding them around. I had my 09 single and 11 double cylinder Harleys out to meets around the time he allowed me to purchase some of these near impossible to find parts.
        I managed to find all the control linkage assemblies tonight, some of those items came from Scott’s old parts. It’s not an easy task to get those parts in proper order. A N.O.S. four lobe cam and followers came from the same parts bin.
        Today I picked up a 1920 J model from another friend this bike is a rolling basket case. I will pick a couple small items including the front fender out of this project bike and then sell the rest, any one interested? To raise money for this costly project I would also like to sell my original paint shriner like 63 FL Duo-Glide.
        This bike is an original paint white bike with red top tanks a reverse paint bike with all the white rubber and leather trimmings including the floorboard mats solo seat twist grips toe pedals. If any one is interested I will post a photo. Many of the meet goers will already have seen this bike, it is a good machine.
        Joe

Comment

Joe! You must be having a great time getting this bike ready. Digging through old treasures, staying up through the night putting a frame together....... man it's an antique freaks dream! Your doing a great job keeping us up to date! I too am anticipating photos when you get the chance. Great Stuff!!!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Yep, nothing more fun than getting old rust and ancient grease on ones fingers as a project like this is reborn from the remains of motorcycles past. Lot of ghosts here!

I would still like to know about that brake.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Photo failure

I attempted to send photos tonight and learned my photo files on my camera are currently to large prohibiting me from posting them on the forum; I was also unsuccessful in reducing the file size of the photos already taken.
              Tonight I learned that 1914 intake pushrods are short, I have several of the slightly longer styles used throughout the latter J/JD years but not the 1914 style. I also have late model intake lifter guides, what’s required are the small type without provisions for a screw on dust cover, furthermore my exhaust lifter pins are to large the 1914 lifter pins are of a smaller O.D. than what is common on later years .
              While attempting to gather all the necessary parts for the gear-chest side of the motor I located all the gears, shafts and decompression accessories from my stock. To run the improved latter style 4 lobe cam the shaft for the cam-followers must be updated along with roller style cam-followers. Other updates will be the cam cover with the timed oil dripper (oil pump) and drive gear from 1915. The oil dripper drive gear is the short style for the aluminum gear-chest cover long style for the later steel cover.
              Through some trading a 1915 original paint rear fender was acquired followed by further trades until the fender found its way to a deserving 1915 twin however the deal was good in return a pair of rebuilt magnetos and a few other parts are on their way.
              Today I received a package in the mail, a 1913/1921 directory of spare parts book. I would to thank Richard Duda for donating this invaluable piece of literature it will be useful in sorting some of the details out.
              I would also like to note that this project would have not been possible if I had not been attending AMCA meets for all these years.
              Today Lonnie jr. sent me a participant application form to file out, one of the questions is what is the name of the team. I filed the name as slojo, second thought is a rename will be necessary and I believe Herb hit the nail on the head “Grey Ghost” Will now be the official team name. Team it is, all the help, long passed away bikes and their Owners make up this team/TimeMachine (Sorry Dale)
              Signing off for now,
              Joe

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                Yep, nothing more fun than getting old rust and ancient grease on ones fingers as a project like this is reborn from the remains of motorcycles past. Lot of ghosts here!

I would still like to know about that brake.
                You are so right about that Herb. Whenever I get into the depths of a motorcycle engine it's like another world. You can see the machine marks that were made so many years ago and you wonder who did the work. Beyond that, you wonder what it was like in Milwaukee, Chicago, or Springfield where these things were created. What did people talk about and did they have the same hopes and fears about the future that we do. When you open up an engine that has been sealed for many years you get a pinhole view of the past and like you said, there are ghosts in there. Even after you get one running; the experience gets even stronger. I guess that's why we're all hopelessly addicted to old motorcycles.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  You are so right about that Herb. Whenever I get into the depths of a motorcycle engine it's like another world. You can see the machine marks that were made so many years ago and you wonder who did the work. Beyond that, you wonder what it was like in Milwaukee, Chicago, or Springfield where these things were created. What did people talk about and did they have the same hopes and fears about the future that we do. When you open up an engine that has been sealed for many years you get a pinhole view of the past and like you said, there are ghosts in there. Even after you get one running; the experience gets even stronger. I guess that's why we're all hopelessly addicted to old motorcycles.
                  WELL SAID ERIC! THAT'S IT IN A NUTSHELL.

Comment

Firing up

Eric I have had the excellent fortune to fire up several early and pre-teen Harley and what an exciting experience it truly is. An all original 1913 that had not run in 50 years, the 1911 double that I rode to Milwaukee in 2003 the same day that I first fired it up, a 1909 single that was built from the ground up starting with just a motor and lets not forget the 1912 Marsh Metz/Imperial twin belt drive. A few years ago I bought several Honda CB 350s some were seized. After diligence I was able free (free what a great term) several of them and fire them up although they are not 95 years old they were just as much fun to fix, fire up and ride away on. Yes Motorsickles ( Motorsickelitis a terminal disease that afflicts many of us in unusual ways) are truly one of life’s great spices.
                    Joe

Comment

I'm rebuilding a transmission today and of course you have to replace all of the bushings, bearings, and snap rings. I never throw any of that worn out stuff away. I can't bring myself to disgard that old junk so I throw it in a box. I know that's silly but I respect the journey it's made and the service it's delivered. I'm too sentimental. My wife reads her birthday cards over the trash can. She'll sincerely say, "That is so sweet" as she lets it drop in the trash.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Team Gray Ghost Rider

I have updated my team name today as "Gray Ghost Rider" Thanks Herb for the planting the seads of idea.
                        Joe

Comment

joe you need to open a photobucket account you can load your photos there. photobucket does the all the crap you need they host your image www.photobucket.com .this allows full screen photos. when your photos are on thier site place the arrow on the photo you want 3 or 4 lines will pop up under the photo move the arrow down to the line that starts with img right click on that line you will see the word copy right click on copy bring that over to the fourm and place the arrow in your post right click and paste after each photo is posted in your reply hit enter to start you next photo one line below on your post. this will keep your photo from posting two wide.when you hit enter they post 1 above the other if this is to much send me a pm for my address mail me your photo card and i would be glad to post them and mail the card back

rob ronky #10507
                          www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                            I'm rebuilding a transmission today and of course you have to replace all of the bushings, bearings, and snap rings. I never throw any of that worn out stuff away. I can't bring myself to disgard that old junk so I throw it in a box. I know that's silly but I respect the journey it's made and the service it's delivered. I'm too sentimental. My wife reads her birthday cards over the trash can. She'll sincerely say, "That is so sweet" as she lets it drop in the trash.
                            Holy Deja Vu .... I've got pretty much every worn out or junk part I've ever taken off a bike and my wife chucks cards in the garbage with reckless abandon!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Here's a round of pics from Joe. Great Stuff!!!

Last edited by c.o.; 11-20-2009, 07:38 AM. Reason: added cool cabin pic......
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Cannonball Bike

Joe, You guys are real craftsmen! Thanks for sharing this project with the rest of us.
                                David Morrill
                                Sylacauga, AL. USA.
                                AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
                                Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

Working...
                                X