!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • c.o.
    replied












    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Barry
    I believe Delrin is the name for the plastic (might not be). It has ben so long since I purchased the material that I can 't be sure. The plastic has an almost translucent appearance with peculiar stripes running through it.

    Balancing is left to Cornell engineering, they have all the sophisticated equipment for a proper balance procedure. I have balanced my own flywheels and then had Cornell redo them, prior to assembly my results were nearly identical to theirs.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Barry Brown
    Guest replied
    Joe , is that "delrin" you are using for the sleeves?
    As you progress with the flywheels I was thinking about balancing and wondered if you had ever tried any unorthodox methods such as a tube with liquid ? a system that i believe Duesenberg used ( with mercury?) and something that wet coast Indian guru Don Doody ( son of Howdy) uses on his Chiefs?

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    Stroker

    We have photos and a You Tube video to update everybody on my weekend efforts.

    I am full tilt on motor preparations, cylinder and flywheel work are currently in process. The entire intake system has been reworked and is near completion. U.P.S. did not show Saturday so my overnight shipment has not arrived this weekend (a special tap) which leaves the cylinder in the Okuma machining center waiting to be finished.

    Yesterday and today were consumed by the flywheel project. Lonnie's flywheel casting are nice I wish they would come with instructions....if they did I probably wouldn't read them until the machine work was first finished (just my nature). A considerable amount of time went into reverse engineering all the dimensions.

    After my numbers added up the flywheels were machined manually on the Monarch and Bridgeport. They currently are near size with about .015" of material left for finishing. I would like to look into heat treat and shotpeening prior to finishing the wheels.


    I either machined or metal finished 99% of the flywheel surfaces to remove the as cast finish. The cast surface holds dirt from the oil, combustion, unfiltered intake air and fuel. Clean the casting surfaces and oil will better drain to the bottom of the case when the motor is shut off. The metal finishing also removes casting surface impurities and inclusions to better the quality of the finished part.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtA6gHzn2Mw This video demonstrates making the intake compression sleeves.

    To clear all things in the way, the flywheel stroke must be increased 1/8 inch further off center. This strokes the motor from 3.5" to 3.75 inches. Include the .030" over bore and the motor jumps up from 61" to 65.8 C.I.. Mountain Motor! (small mountains).

    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 07-06-2010, 04:56 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    With several sets of plastic intake manifold compression seals made today, I moved on to machining the flywheels that Lonnie at Competition sent last week.

    The flywheels arrived as cast and have plenty of stock to remove to bring them to net shape. Today I just brought them to a workable condition, ruff machined. I then studied the engine case set and the old worn out flywheels to determine what the final dimensions should be.

    A check of the parts book describes two washers to be used in the assembly. I am not sure if one washer is for flywheel thrust on the sprocket shaft and the other is for thrust between the flywheel and rod set. Once the dimensions are finalized the rest of the machining will continue. It would help if I had the original washers the book is referring to, or at least some more information on the size and placement of the wshers.

    Well I finally did it, I could not resist anymore. A ride on the 48 pan to Buzz's house for some quality time with good friends, food, and home brewed fire works. I had guilty conscience only part of the time.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:

Working...