No announcement yet.

harley eight valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you google "freddie dixon harley" there are several write ups and articles ,some from the HD museum that state that the engine was purchased from the freddie dixon estate,and that it was at one time in a different chassis ,with a transmission,when it broke some world records.it appears that harley is convinced that it was dixons engine,and is describing it as such.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

i personally like camerons version.if this old engine could talk.

Comment

i bet it can but unfortunately probably never will again in the hands it's in. i bet it would draw thousands to see and hear it go around the track just one lap alone at davenport or even barbers paved track. i'd pay $50 for a ticket

Comment

8 valve Harley`s

I have followed this thread with interest and I know I have several pictures of the European 8 valves at home that I will try to find and scan.
          I have allso a picture taken in John Camerons garage showing the Freddy Dixon HD as it was after he restored this.
          I have several Poloroid photos from inside John Cameroons garage that once where given me by Easy Russ in Grand Rapids that used to be John`s friend.
          Will see if they are of any interest and maybe scan them too.

Thanks to Jurrasic for images-

Regards
          Sverre
          And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
          This is a great theory.
          If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Well Then The Harley Museum Is Out And Out Lying If They State They Purchased It From The Freddie Dixon Estate . They Are Creating More History Just Like They Have Always Done To Suit Their Needs.

Comment

i think maybe somone needs to just go to the museum and see how the bike is described before we start jumping to conclusions,and yes someone should speak to camerons son . is anyone documenting the known surviving 8 valves?there cant be more than 8 or so. with so many repops being made this might be a good idea.i'd be willing to bet the guys at the factory know where all the real ones are.
              Last edited by jurassic; 07-04-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

i just wish they would stop putting the "patina" on the repops----might as well be counterfeiting $100 bills. i think the guys doing that are doing our hobby a great disservice. all we want it the truth. is that so hard??????

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
                  i just wish they would stop putting the "patina" on the repops----might as well be counterfeiting $100 bills. i think the guys doing that are doing our hobby a great disservice. all we want it the truth. is that so hard??????
                  patina is only skin deep ,it is much easier to hide the truth under a restoration.

Comment

true---that is why it's so important to find the trail and document it here. i sure appreciate all you've done. seems like the factory has never appreciated anything we've done. i still think 54 was the 50th. as johnny paycheck said----you can't change the truth in the slightest way

Comment

Comment

i don't think youi'll see much documentation on these bike it's like herb said use your imagination on what heppend to the bike leftover from racing gee boss we smashed um up real good them indian racers wont get are secrets .here is 1.35$ we got for the scrap metal (somebody tell tom not to bring his race bike out when the big wigs are around) who would document a back door sale maybe the second seller or the aunt who had the barn where the bike was left for 15 years. hence a ledgend begins
                        rob ronky #10507
                        www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                          i think maybe somone needs to just go to the museum and see how the bike is described before we start jumping to conclusions,and yes someone should speak to camerons son . is anyone documenting the known surviving 8 valves?there cant be more than 8 or so. with so many repops being made this might be a good idea.i'd be willing to bet the guys at the factory know where all the real ones are.
                          I just spoke with John Cameron's Grandson, Craig Taylor. He tells me that bike was sold to Daniel Statnakof back in the '90's. He also said that John had an identical machine that was sold to Jim Lattin.
                          Last edited by Chris Haynes; 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

i googled battilani,and found this. wow!!

Comment

damiano rogai , italy

i found this on harleyson's site

Comment

I have been corrected. The bike Jim Lattin has is a two cam with standard top end not an 8 valve. John's 8 valve had a number plate with # 4 his two cam was # 5.
                                Be sure to visit;
                                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                                X