Cut downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
    I'm sure that bike would be accepted in any Bob-Job, Bobber, Chopper, Hot Rod, Street Rod, Lead Sled, Old School magazine!!! As always nice work Jurassic!!!
    thanks for the vote of confidence cory,but after many years i have learned that with most magazine editors ,it is a popularity contest.and with me being less popular than some ,and possibly for actually speaking my mind,that i have been blacklisted from most publications.which is fine by me as most publications do not cater to the early stuff.nor do they understand it.
    Last edited by jurassic; 01-01-2009, 08:56 PM.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

I get what your saying......there aren't many mags left on the shelf that I'll spend my money on. It's all for show and there isn't much substance left. I think that's why I consume my AMCA mag so fast and feverishly sit and scratch until the next one arrives! Oh and come to think of it I guess a lot of the good bike pics get posted here anyway........
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
        It's BOBJOB! Never was bobber. That's his weak kneed cousin. As far as I'm concerned I'm Pre-school period. Was that when you started to ride a tricycle Chris? Rich
        I dunno Rich. I am only 63.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

cutdown

Long time no see Mr. Lovejoy. I have photos of two of Lance's cut-downs that I will send you soon. Have a great New Year. Chris, you got me by one year you very old man you. Rich P.S. Lonnie that two cammer is sweet.
          DrSprocket

Comment

The Cut downs are Pre WWII machines with modified forks and frames to lower the machine for improved handleing, sometimes having smaller diameter wheels.

After the War many returning service men had the itch for motorcycling. Some that had survived horrific experiences, and were somewhat addicted to the adrenalin high of their hair raising experiences of the war. Personal philosopies changed. Desiring to experiece the thrill of more speed than stock machines could offer they began Chopping things off the bike to eliminate weight and decrease drag. Sometimes parralleling their personal desires to Chop off the unneccessary superfluities of Life. These were the original Choppers.

What currently passes for Bobber refers to the large stock rear fender being bobbed short, like a bobbed tail cat.

As the 60 's rolled around the cutting of the frame at the steering head to change the rake of the front forks and the extension of the front forks became the craze. These period modified machines then usurped the name Chopper. This was when the name Bobber began to distingish the earlier machine from the Captian America style of chopper.

It was during this period that I heard a LOT of grumbling among AMCA club organizers of what a Crime it is to cut a frame to make a raked chopper out of an original machine { that had survived the scrap metal drives of the War } in order to satisfy some passing fancy. It was felt that our club was there to help rescue machines from this fate, preserving examples of what the Motorcycle was originally.
            William McClean
            AMCA # 60

Comment

cutdowns

That is true Bill but out west the bobjob were more for dirt competion. Hence bobbed fenders on both ends due to laying it down , weeds, mud, and dirt accumulation, etc. they competed in TT's, hare and hounds, and some hillclimb events using Jd's, knuckleheads, and panheads. I have many photos. Out here the first chops had british tanks, rear fenders, and lights because they were smaller and lighter than the stock american items. the first chops also had short frontends. That was 40's and early 50's for bobjobs and 50's for chops. Then in the early 60's they started to rake the neck and install longer front forks. Either glide, girder, or springer. Late 60's came the bondo moulding and ton's of chrome. It's great to have the period modified class so we can save some of thes machines just like we save the stockers, comp. machines, etc. Almost nothing left the dealer without a few mod's wether seats, bars, etc. Hence the large aftermarket boom by Buco, Beck, Nationbilt, Superior, Chicago, and more.rich
              DrSprocket

Comment

By eliminating the lower rear fender, below the hinge, it made tire and wheel changes easier for the competing machine.
                William McClean
                AMCA # 60

Comment

cutdowns

Remember what George Miller says, "bobbers are for fishing". Rich
                  DrSprocket

Comment

hi rich,sorry but i'm a little slow.it was just this morning till i realized who you were. welcome to the forum . you will ,no doubt, be a great asset. i wasn't riding in the 50's or 60's so i cant say for sure.i remember hearing the term "bobjob" when i was a kid,but i cant recall hearing "bobber" till much later.maybe even the 80's.i could be mistaken,as different regions used different terminology. and john,yes the two cam bike will have both front and rear brakes.i'm working on the wheels this week.
                    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

We have an entire section at Classic American Iron Magazine with plenty of photos and even some video of cut downs. Try this direct link at http://www.caimag.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71
                      Buzz Kanter
                      Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                      [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                      [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

'Bobber,' 'Old School', 'Ole Skool', 'Chopper', 'Custom', 'Dresser' hell even 'Stock' are just names used today as they have been for years to describe the 'Style' in which a bike has been built or the owner is going to build. I don't see the big deal about the useage of any of the names.

Young guys (and 'older guys' like myself) use those terms to describe what they see in the early sixties and seventies bike mags and what they pick up from each other. They're just nick names really. They're immediately understood amongst the group. No different then Hot Rod, Lead Sled, Custom, Radical, etc.

Just 'Cool' language to be different from all the 'Squares' 'Man', 'You Dig'.

My wife's favorite is the one I use for the Gold Wings type bikes. I call them 'Land Barges"
                        She laughs whenever I say it, which I don't understand why because I'm serious when I use that term.

Old School, New School, Same School...I never liked School..Hrdly

Comment

Not unlike the term "Bagger", hell, we always just called them "Garbage Wagons"!
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

cutdowns

You can call them whatever you like. Just like alot of other folks do today. If you missed the point, we were just sorting out the origin of when they originated. Most of my info came from riders of the machines in question who rode said machines in the era's in which the names were originally coined. Most them are no longer with us but what they said is not forgotten and should be passed on to those who were not there or didn't hear them speak. That's the base this whole club was founded on. Rich AMCA #47
                            DrSprocket

Comment

I didn't miss the point, just commenting on others post regarding 'slang' useage. Hrdly

Comment

Cutdown, Bob job, or Chopper?

Rich,

Remember the golden rule. When in doubt it is a custom chopper! We don't want to upset the (road) apple cart.

Love and Respect
                                S/L the B....
                                It's a joke, just a dumb joke. Please don't send out the death squad.
                                Last edited by s/l; 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Working...
                                X