Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley-Davidson's "Belated" or Correct (1904-1954) 50th Anniversary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pem View Post
    The first instance I remember HD using 1903 as their first year of production is from an ad from the Janesville Gazette, Friday March 20, 1908.

"HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLE

(photo of 1908)

5th year of success.

3 1/2 H. P. actual. Best by test.

PIERSON'S GARAGE
    Janesville, wis."

Paps, between 1911 and 1914 a lot of Harley ads and articles used 1902 as the first year of production. Some even said in 1914 "Producers of High Grade Motorcycles for More than Tweleve years". That would make it 1901. It's just nuts the way advertising worked back then. For example:

In a letter from J.P. Thornley, Chairman of the competition committe of the F.A.M., he writes on Oct. 23, 1912 to a Mr. W.F. Mann of Boston, Mass. the following;

"As fas as advertisements in the trade papers are concerned, I have long since given up any idea of trying to make people tell the truth in the advertising columns of any trade journal. I am sick and tired of the manufacturers and the trade in general. When they spend a little money on a run or race they expect to get value received for their investments, and wherever the trade is involved in any contest there is going to be trouble unless it were possible to so arrange matters that everyone could win. The contest, to be a contest of any kind, means that someone gets the best of it, and therefore someone loses and gets the worst of it. The man who pays for the advertising of another man's machine of course always feels sore, and no sentiment of sportmanship, honesty or decency seems to restrain any of them. They have paid there money for advertising, as they look at it, and they are going to get it by hook or crook; by honest means if they can, but by any old means if necessary."

Whew! This is 1912. Here's another example of what was going on back then. This time from 1910:

Criticise Police Tests.

With reference to the recent contest held in Milwaukee and vicinity as a demonstration to police authorities of the value of various motorcycles for their patrol purposes, C.A. Carpenter, secretary of the Wisconsin Motorcycle Co., Monroe, Wis., sends Wisconsin Motorist the following comments:

"On account of the large amount of news that has been handed out recently, for advertising purposes, in reference to the Milwaukee police order for motorcycles, and which has been more or less misleading, I think a few facts at this time might show up in a new light and also show what a farce it was as a contest.
    "The contest, as you know, was to be a road race to Watertown and return, or somewhere in that vicinity, but was changed many times, and, as the contestants were not all familiar with the road, it was agreed to use confetti and have a man at all important crossroads and forks to guide the riders.
    "Out of seven entries only one kept the correct course, which is evidence enough that the conditions were not complied with by the board, and that those getting off the road and running many miles out of the way had no chance of winning.
    "All reports, which read pretty much alike, make much capital out of beating a twin-cyclinder Indian. Sure, that is good stuff. This was tried once before by two of the same riders, Sporleder and Crolius, much to the discomfort of the Harley rider, though nothing was ever published about it. I say much to the discomfort of the Harley rider, as it was a contest over muddy roads, and I think he will acknowledge that he was badly worsted in that contest.
    "In this contest, all admit that, as he was the only one that followed the correct course and signed the check sheet, as a rider, he was entitled to first place, but, as the board did not wish to purchases a rider, but a machine, I think it might have been well to consider the condition of the machines on the return run, or the actual distance covered and miles per hour. As a matter of fact, parts of the winning machine are still missing, the rider returning without the brake chain.

Here is the actual score, as most of them agree upon:
    Sporleder, 5hp Indian 62mi 1hr22min 45mph
    Smith, 7hp Merkel 95 mi (none given) none
    Crolius, 4hp harley-D 74mi 2hr1min 36
    Odell, 4hp Indian 82mi 2hr20min 35
    Blankenh'm, 4hp Comet 80mi 2hr40min 35
    Parsons, 31/2hp R.S. 110mi (none given) 30

"When you come to consider that all except Crolius lost their way and had to make many stops to inquire the way, it is astonishing that they came as near winning as they did, and very evident that they must have made much better time on the road than the winning machine.
    "While the twin-Indian made nine miles per hour better than the winning machine, it was decided before the start that this machine would not be considered in the contest. This shows why the twin-Indian was beaten, and for no other reason.
    "If the Milwaukee people wanted home product, of course they would necessarily have to bar twin-cylinders. However, as almost the unamimous verdict of the various police departments over the United States has long ago decided in favor of the twin-cylinder high powered machine for this work, it would seem as though the Milwaukee police board had allowed their patriotism to carry them to a point where it is detrimental to the service."

I hope this gives you a flavor of what was going on back then. Of course Harley won this contest with our friend S. Lacy Crolius, then advertising manager for the Harley-Davidson Motor Co., the winning rider.

Dick
    Dick,

That is a great post that sets the scene and mindset of the day and explains perfectly how early Harley-Davidson history got so damnably mixed up until the modern MoCo doesn't know fact from fiction and claims to own bikes that never existed.

Part of the fun and reward of this hobby and sport is to know what really happened. As you know from your research about Perry E. Mack, the TRUTH is far more involved, exciting, and mysterious than a few cheap paragraphs of phony information and a closed mind attitude can ever be.

Thanks for the excellent post!
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by bmh View Post
      So I see now. After a hundred and how ever many years, nothings really changed. It's always been about slick marketing, not so much motorcycles.
      Well yes, but they did have to sell motorcycles to survive and that was the primary thing. Don't forget, competition was cut-throat and H-D was an upstart "western" brand that faced mighty Indian. In a way, Crolius was doing his job in the most effective way he knew how -- lying like everyone else!

But why should we continue to accept those old lies today? The true facts are so much better and the lie version is also part of the story. More bang for the buck you might say!

Like John Harley, Jr. says: "Grandfather and the Davidsons were always forging ahead and rarely looked back." That's why it's up to us to look back and figure out what really happened and not swallow the old advertising lies as fact.
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• how did 1904 emerge as a baseline?is there any ad or publication or statement from the factory in the last 106 years that references 1904 as their first year?from what i have seen it appears that the founders used the 1903 date in 1929,and held firm to it up till the 100th.i ask again ,was there a 50th celebration held in 1954?was the 50th anniversary enthusiast put out in 1954?if the company has claimed 1903 as their anniversary and stuck to it since at least 1929,should we not accept that .regardless of when the first bike appeared or where the 50th medallion was placed,these 4 guys agreed that 1903 was their first year.they said so in 1929 ,in 1953, in 1963,and AMF said it in 1978.yet today the company comes under very harsh criticism for holding their 100th anniversary in 2003.if they were happy with that date 80 years ago ,why can't we be happy with it.
        Last edited by jurassic; 01-11-2009, 02:02 PM.
        www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Lonnie, I think most of us agree with you that 2003 can and should be used for the 100th anniversary but I for one have a problem with the SNO #1 bike. It just didn't exist in 1903. There is no doubt the founders started all this in 1903 and possibly earlier. It's just that they didn't make a prototype full size motorcycle until 1904 and didn't make any for sale until 1905. The only evidence we have that a motorcycle was made in 1904 is the article Herb found in the fall 1904 Milwaukee Journal. Now we have two articles. I found one in the Sept. 9, 1904 Milwaukee Free Press that backs up everything found in the Milwaukee Journal article. There is tons of evidence that HD was producing bikes in 1905. There is no evidence that I know of that HD produced a motorcycle in 1903 for sale to the public. That I think is what we should be talking about. Don't you find it unusual that there is no 1903 evidence at all. No drawings, blueprints, letters, receipts or public record.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I got carried away.

Dick

Comment

• Originally posted by pem View Post
            Lonnie, I think most of us agree with you that 2003 can and should be used for the 100th anniversary but I for one have a problem with the SNO #1 bike. It just didn't exist in 1903. There is no doubt the founders started all this in 1903 and possibly earlier. It's just that they didn't make a prototype full size motorcycle until 1904 and didn't make any for sale until 1905. The only evidence we have that a motorcycle was made in 1904 is the article Herb found in the fall 1904 Milwaukee Journal. Now we have two articles. I found one in the Sept. 9, 1904 Milwaukee Free Press that backs up everything found in the Milwaukee Journal article. There is tons of evidence that HD was producing bikes in 1905. There is no evidence that I know of that HD produced a motorcycle in 1903 for sale to the public. That I think is what we should be talking about. Don't you find it unusual that there is no 1903 evidence at all. No drawings, blueprints, letters, receipts or public record.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I got carried away.

Dick
            Dick,
            Why not 1901? We have seen the original drawings of the first H-D engine dated 1901. Maybe the Ford motor Company should back date their anniversary back to when ole Henry started thinkin about cars. No Sir, Facts are facts. And the fact is that Bill Harley and the Davidson Brothers didn't build thier first motorcycle until 1904.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
              how did 1904 emerge as a baseline?is there any ad or publication or statement from the factory in the last 106 years that references 1904 as their first year?from what i have seen it appears that the founders used the 1903 date in 1929,and held firm to it up till the 100th.i ask again ,was there a 50th celebration held in 1954?was the 50th anniversary enthusiast put out in 1954?if the company has claimed 1903 as their anniversary and stuck to it since at least 1929,should we not accept that .regardless of when the first bike appeared or where the 50th medallion was placed,these 4 guys agreed that 1903 was their first year.they said so in 1929 ,in 1953, in 1963,and AMF said it in 1978.yet today the company comes under very harsh criticism for holding their 100th anniversary in 2003.if they were happy with that date 80 years ago ,why can't we be happy with it.
              There was no 50th celebration I know of other than the 50th Birthday celebartion at the Capitol Drive Plant during 1954 Golden Anniversary production.
              Be sure to visit;

Comment

• dick ,i hear what your saying and i agree.but this thread is titled HD's belated or correct 50th anniversary.we could argue about the first appearance of a harley motorcycle for many more pages i'm sure.while there are many reasons to believe that the founders considered 1904 as their first year,there are also many valid points to argue for 1903 as well .it is what the 4 founders were thinking in 1953 that i am wondering about.thats all.were they thinking 1903 or 1904 when they began preparing for a golden anniversary.

Comment

• if we must consider the first appearance of a harley in print"september 9 1904". i'm sure we can all agree that for the bike to be in a race on sept 9 then it was probably built earlier than sept 9.an being the prototype may have taken a long time to build.and just because there is no mention of the bike "in print" does not mean that it was not being raced or ridden prior to sept 9 1904.

Comment

• Well Chris, that is what's so great about our country. We can sit here and have a discussion and exchange ideas and beliefs without fear of persecution. I know where you are coming from in ref to 1904. It certainly didn't help that HD claimed 2003 as the 100th and celebrated it with badges on their 2003 models when they celebrated their 50th with badges on their 1954 models. That kinda got things screwed up don't ya think. Hopefully a simple statement from the motor company acknowledging that there were no 1903 models produced will put this controversey to rest. I for one feel ok with the 1903 birthdate with the caveat that there were no bikes produced in 1903. That is what I think.

Dick

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                      it is what the 4 founders were thinking in 1953 that i am wondering about.thats all.were they thinking 1903 or 1904 when they began preparing for a golden anniversary.
                      The answer to that question is simple. They weren't thinking anything as they were dead.
                      Be sure to visit;

Comment

• AMF started all this crap when they decided that 1978 was the 75th.
                        Be sure to visit;

Comment

• Lonnie, I think that is the problem too. What were they thinking in 1953? I agree with you 100%. And that is what is causing the confusion. Why did they use 1954 as their anniversay model. I just don't have a clue.

I also agree with you that the Sept. 1904 date doesn't prove conclusively that that was the first time HD raced a motorcycle or road it on the street. Like you say common sense tells us that they were running that bike up and down Chestnut St. for weeks. Most likely months. But it is all we have. That's it.

Why doesn't the motor company have any proof? Why!

Dick

Comment

• I think the proof is in the sworn court testimony of The Founding Fathers as described in "At The Creation".
                            Be sure to visit;

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                              The answer to that question is simple. They weren't thinking anything as they were dead.
                              Ya got us there Chris. TOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• I haven't read all 175 posts, so I apologize if any of the following have already been refuted.

In 1990, I wrote in "Inside Harley-Davidson" that four motorcycles were begun in 1903, two prototypes and two production models, and that the two production models were completed in 1904. This information was from a circa 1913 magazine article, and doubtless was provided to the magazine by Harley-Davidson.

The 50th "birthday" cake was cut around August 14, 1953, that being the photo processing date for the Pohlman Studio (offical photographers) picture number 20177.

When the factory executives cut the 50th "birthday" cake, new 1954-models were coming off the line, with the new Golden Anniversay identification. To me, the 1954-models recognized the fact that the Harley-Davidson endeavor (not the company) had passed the fifty-year milestone.

What was the beginning of the endeavor, anyway? The endeavor began as either a hobby or a hope, or both. Over time, the endeavor evolved into a serious business effort. In my opinion, there's no exact date that marks the birth of Harley-Davidson. The company name, including the word "incorporated", didn't appear until that legal step was taken in 1906. But that fact, and the subequent different legal names of the company, have no bearing on the concept of Harley-Davidson's "first year." To me, Harley-Davidson's "first year" was 1903 and that their "first production year" was 1904. But there are other ways of looking at it, as evidenced by this thread.
                                Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Working...
                                X