Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Any Board Member Here.........help Our Club!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Any Board Member Here.........help Our Club!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris Haynes
    I have sent many letters to the powers that be. Obviously they have been ignored. :-(

I think it is time the board got more involved with this web site WE are paying for this and seems to me that WE are being ignored!!!!!

Last I knew there wasn't a web master controlling/monitoring the site.......what gives???

GET RID OF THE SPAMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chuck #1848
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

If you read our presidents report on the intro page of this web site you will see that Michael wells has not been this web sites coordinator for some time.
    I don’t know who is in control but Rocky said in his report that the guys that run the AACA web site may be helping out.

I thought it was a requirement that you had to be an AMCA member in order to register for membership on this forum, but it’s obvious that nobody is checking if people registering are current members of the AMCA.

I have been watching the welcome to our newest member section on this forum and have noticed that nearly every other person that registers gives a membership number that is questionable.
    I have reported this but its still happening.
    It would be interesting to see the membership list (now Disabled) just to see how many of the 4452 registered members are current AMCA members.

Pete.

Comment

It's quite obvious that Rocky's contempt for this web site has allowed it go un-maintained. Rocky claimed that this web site is a costly facet of the AMCA's budget. From what I see, the forum is riding on the coat tails of the web site so it's a freebe. The AMCA web site was created as a recruitment tool to get new members (i.e. people surfing the web). Recruitment is the sacred cow of this club so you would think this web site would be sacrosanct and given high priority as a valuable club tool and not allowed to be invaded by spammers.

I really enjoy this feature of our club and have always been grateful and appreciative of the efforts and money put forth to keep it going. I would also bet that other administrative branches of this club find this web site to be essential to making their tasks easier such as: Membership, pre-judging, renewals, and marketing.

So Rocky, you may hate it but eveyone else loves it.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I have already sent a notice to block that "SOB" that invaded our forum. I am also trying to get membership verified before allowing someone to post. I personally would like to see REAL names and membership numbers instead of the current form
        Kevin
        Kevin Valentine 13
        EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Originally posted by kval View Post
          I have already sent a notice to block that "SOB" that invaded our forum. I am also trying to get membership verified before allowing someone to post. I personally would like to see REAL names and membership numbers instead of the current form
          Kevin
          Agreed.....
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thank You Kevin

Kevin
            Kevin,

Thankyou for your help I to also agree that there should be names and membership numbers.

The last straw for me was the spam in the Obituary thread's
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Real Names

Kevin
              Kevin,
              When we signed up we were asked to provide a "screen name". I sure don't have a problem using my full name, but after going to user options, I couldn't see where to change it.
              As far as the value of this forum to the club, I think it's priceless, the knowlege base here is outstanding. I also like the tone of this forum, a little humor mixed in sometimes, but no silliness, and no "attitude". I think if anything the Club should promote this forum. For a long time I kind of knew it existed, but never checked it out. Once I looked at the forum and started reading the posts, I was hooked. I'm sure there are a lot of us on the forum like me, that don't post a lot, but I read the posts almost every day. Where else would the average guy regularly have access to some of the most knowlgeable members of the Club? Also, I'm sure for many of us, this Forum is our main contact with the Club. It helps us feel a like we are a part of the Club, even if we can't attend as many events as we would like.
              Doug McLaughlin #6607
              Doug McLaughlin #6607
              NorCal, USA

Comment

Beautifully stated Doug. That's exactly the way I feel.

Eric Smith
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I have no problem with my name...I use it here and at other boards.

George Greer
                  Markt Einersheim, Bavaria.
                  Germany

member number is in wallet downstairs and I am just too tired now to go and get it.

Just renewed my membership too.

George
                  George Greer
                  AMCA # 3370

Comment

We are aware of the problem and will begin removing the spam messages one by one and block that person's email and/or server.

However, this may only be a temporary solution.

The answer to the problem is new forum software, that will allow the administrators to guarantee that only club members are on the forum.

Budget and policy issues regarding the website will be discussed at the Davenport board of directors meeting.

Please, give us some time to combat the problem.

Geoff Ringlé
                    The Antique Motorcycle Club of America Inc
                    Business Development Manager
                    Geoff Ringlé

Comment

Club

Originally posted by D.Mac View Post
                      Kevin,
                      Also, I'm sure for many of us, this Forum is our main contact with the Club. It helps us feel a like we are a part of the Club, even if we can't attend as many events as we would like.
                      Not wrong Doug. For the vast majority of overseas members, it's the only contact with the club, apart from some of the European Chapter members.

I thought that there was a Government agency that you could report Spammers to. Is this the case in the US, because these parasites could be passed on to them. Not that I would expect a rapid reaction, but I know in Australia there has been some pretty good prosecutions of these oxygen thieves recently.

Kevin, recently when the list was discussing the growth of Spammers within the ranks, we discussed including your real name and member number in you signature block. Some of us adopted this. Just go to User Cp and make the changes to your sig block.

Best wishes all.

Ken.
                      Last edited by Baytown; 08-07-2008, 04:40 PM.
                      Ken Kemp
                      Nth Queensland
                      AUSTRALIA
                      Member # 8756

47 Chief
                      2006 BMW K1200S
                      Getting seriously interested in Vincent
                      2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
                      SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        It's quite obvious that Rocky's contempt for this web site has allowed it go un-maintained. Rocky claimed that this web site is a costly facet of the AMCA's budget. So Rocky, you may hate it but eveyone else loves it.
                        The internet is not going away. Kicking or screaming the "antiques" in the club need to learn & modernize or risk losing the future generations that will carry on the after we're gone.
                        JU

Comment

Kevin
                          I totally agree with you Kevin.

What started out as a web site where people were honestly sharing valuable information, and a few of us were using this site as a teaching instrument, soon got turned into a turn off because someone was able to hide behind a alias name and post whatever he felt. If that person would have had to use his real name, he probably would have entered the discussions in a civilized manner.
                          Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                          AMCA #1905

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ringle View Post
                            We are aware of the problem and will begin removing the spam messages one by one and block that person's email and/or server.

However, this may only be a temporary solution.

The answer to the problem is new forum software, that will allow the administrators to guarantee that only club members are on the forum.

Budget and policy issues regarding the website will be discussed at the Davenport board of directors meeting.

Please, give us some time to combat the problem.

Geoff Ringlé
                            The Antique Motorcycle Club of America Inc
                            Business Development Manager
                            What are we using now
                            Jeff Bowles
                            Arkansas
                            Membership # 14023
                            1957 Sportster

Comment

It seems to me that at one time, it was suggested by Michael.....possibly???? that maybe a few club members would have the ability to delete the spam when they came across it. Then I never heard anything about it again. If it were put into motion I'm sure it would be removed in a timely manner. I also agree with previously stated posts that indicate that this web-site is important for our club and it's members.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X