• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet law numbers in this morning's newspaper; 7 April 2008. ...bill
    http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps...804070331/1001
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

That sums it up doesn't it ? But then again those who don't wear helmets or "beanie" helmets are already brain dead .

Comment

Helmets are a touchy subject, anywhere. Virginia, of course, requires helmet use and offers a pretty good Driver's Training Program, too. I don't have a problem wearing a lid, but it's fun to ride without. I went through the course, nearly 12 years ago. At that time, a woman in the class (of 15), on Day 2, had completed a course run, brought her bike to a complete stop (feet down, too). It was surreal; failling to bump it out of gear, she let go of the clutch! The bike was about 250 cc's; it jumped and hopped, but she held on to the throttle grip, twisting. Eventually, the bike hit a nearby curb and she sailed with the machine a few feet into the air. Luckily, she wore a full helmet that covered her chin. She landed on top of the bike (still grasping the throttle) but slapped her face on the asphalt. Wow, only a minor scuff on the chin for her. We were all stunned, amazed and speechless. What a display. The woman, in her late 40's early 50's, called it a day and gave up on the class. Too bad, we tried to convince her to hang, but she was spent. The helmet had really done the job, though.

Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Footwear (to cover the ankle)

After all that, nothing scares me more than seeing a guy with his date on the back of the bike, dressed in shorts and a tee, wearing sneakers, though.
        Last edited by rashd; 04-07-2008, 02:11 PM. Reason: grammar
        # 5844

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
          That sums it up doesn't it ? But then again those who don't wear helmets or "beanie" helmets are already brain dead .
          geez barry thats a pretty rough generalization there.you know i served honorably in our military for 6 years , owned my own business for 21 years , just got my son graduated from college , been married for 22 years , never collected a welfare check EVER! and i have been fortunate enoufgh to aquire a nice little bike collection .i give generously to a lot of local charities .so you show me the brain dead part of me !tom c
          1946 chief 1948 chief 1948 wl 1950wl 1941ulwith sidecar 47 chief(in the works)65bsa

Comment

Originally posted by rashd View Post
            Helmets are a touchy subject, anywhere. Virginia, of course, requires helmet use and offers a pretty good Driver's Training Program, too. I don't have a problem wearing a lid, but it's fun to ride without. I went through of course, nearly 12 years ago. At that time, a woman in the class (of 15), on Day 2, had completed a course run, brought her bike to a complete stop (feet down, too). It was surreal; failling to bump it out of gear, she let go of the clutch! The bike was about 250 cc's; it jumped and hopped, but she held on to the throttle grip, twisting. Eventually, the bike hit a nearby curb and she sailed with the machine a few feet into the air. Luckily, she wore a full helmet that covered her chin. She landed on top of the bike (still grasping the throttle) but slapped her face on the asphalt. Wow, only a minor scuff on the chin for her. We were all stunned, amazed and speechless. What a display. The woman, in her late 40's early 50's, called it a day and gave up on the class. Too bad, we tried to convince her to hang, but she was spent. The helmet had really done the job, though.

Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Footwear (to cover the ankle)

After all that, nothing scares me more than seeing a guy with his date on the back of the bike, dressed in shorts and a tee, wearing sneakers, though.
            That's similar to the guy I saw once try to climb a tree with his motorcycle. Trying to start out suddenly he was going full blast, ran right up a tree, bike flipped and he flew off. Unhurt, luckily.

The undenial thing about the human body and concrete or a glass and steel auto is that the human body has about the same consistency as an egg when you drop it.

Still, I'll say this from the old helmet protest days: "Let those who ride decide."
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by 23JDCA 808 View Post
              Helmet law numbers in this morning's newspaper; 7 April 2008. ...bill
              http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps...804070331/1001
              Interesting article that ends on this provocative note:

Comparing accident rates by state can be tricky.

For example, New Hampshire and Iowa, which have no helmet laws, reported fatality rates of 3.0 and 3.5 per 10,000 motorcycles, respectively, in 2006. By comparison, the rates in Mississippi and Maryland, which require helmets for all riders, were much higher — 20 and 12 per 10,000 motorcycles, respectively.

Helmet law advocates note that cold-weather states such as New Hampshire have a much shorter riding season and that roads in states like Iowa with flat, open terrain and extended visibility are less dangerous.

"There are a lot of factors at work here," said Russ Radar with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "You can't look at just the fatality rate of any given state and make judgments based entirely on that."
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Comment

Helmet laws suck

While I would always wear a helmet myself where I now live (even if there wasn't a helmet law), I don't like to be told to do so. It should be a personal choice.

If you follow the money trail, it is the insurance lobby that pads the politicians pockets to pass these laws that supposedly protect us from ourselves. They really could care less if Bob the Biker gets killed... they just don't want Bob's family suing one of their insured drivers. The helmet gives Bob a better chance at living, thereby reducing the insurance company's liability.

I have lost a cousin and a brother-in-law to motorcycle accidents. Both were wearing helmets. Both were hit by cars that didn't see them. We need stiffer laws to crack down on negligent drivers, not ones that penalize law abiding cyclists.

Comment

Ban cell phones in cars, and make driving tests look for coordination and visual acuity. It may be good for the G.N.P. to have everyone in America driving but it's obvious that everyone is not qualified.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Helmets are not the issue, it's the inability of the moron to ride a motorcycle. The last few years it seems anyone with $20K goes out and buy a new HD, many with no idea how it safely operate one. Oh yeh, "I used to ride a dirt bike so I can ride anything" attitude has got many people hurt or killed. Dodging trees and dodging cars are two different things. Personnaly, I think there should not be any safety laws, such as helmet and seat belts. Do they save lives, or course they do. But should it be laws, no way. Do you think the government cares if you kill yourself or the insurance company's just don't want to pay your death benefits. Like silent said the insurance company's lobby to make the laws. Off my soap box......let's go riding.
                      Louie
                      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I wear a helmet in populated areas. I don't when I feel confortable on rural roads. The key to helmet wearing is when to wear it. 4 wheeled vehicles don't look for us. We don't exist until we get hit or someone pulls out in front of us. The same idiot who operates his 4 wheeled vehicle incorrectly, operates his bike the same way, at least in most cases. Every year, this one rider burns up the black top at ridiculous speeds. I tell the wife, he is good as dead. Somehow he has survived so far. This dude will hit over a 100 mph, pass everything in his path, doesn't matter if it is on a curve or a straight a way. He is totally wreckless. Back to the helmets....I lost a very good friend because of a helmet. In an attempt to miss a 4 wheeled vehicle, he took the bike to the berm. His bike slammed into an old set of cable guardrails. He was tossed off. His helmet bearly caught one of the guard rail post corner edges. The posts were i-beam type then. The helmet did not give. it stayed on his head. He was decapitated. He may have been killed regardless though. His torso hit a large tree before coming to rest. On the other hand....I have seen helmets save lives too. Bottom line.....ride safe ! Ride defensively ! Scan your view constantly ! Never assume nothing !!! Always imagine the worst around that curve or hump in the highway. A DAV maybe awaiting your approach. Groundhog, deer, farm machinery, You name it...it maybe there. During the riding season, what you least expect may be present. If a thunder storm passed through ahead of you, with out your knowledge, loose stone a gravel may await you. Downed trees, limbs, debri, also. Enjot the putt but always....be careful, and think. Paps

Comment

I wear a helmet in populated areas. I don't when I feel confortable on rural roads. The key to helmet wearing is when to wear it. 4 wheeled vehicles don't look for us. We don't exist until we get hit or someone pulls out in front of us. The same idiot who operates his 4 wheeled vehicle incorrectly, operates his bike the same way, at least in most cases. Every year, this one rider burns up the black top at ridiculous speeds. I tell the wife, he is good as dead. Somehow he has survived so far. This dude will hit over a 100 mph, pass everything in his path, doesn't matter if it is on a curve or a straight a way. He is totally wreckless. Back to the helmets....I lost a very good friend because of a helmet. In an attempt to miss a 4 wheeled vehicle, he took the bike to the berm. His bike slammed into an old set of cable guardrails. He was tossed off. His helmet bearly caught one of the guard rail post corner edges. The posts were i-beam type then. The helmet did not give. it stayed on his head. He was decapitated. He may have been killed regardless though. His torso hit a large tree before coming to rest. On the other hand....I have seen helmets save lives too. Bottom line.....ride safe ! Ride defensively ! Scan your view constantly ! Never assume nothing !!! Always imagine the worst around that curve or hump in the highway. A DAV maybe awaiting your approach. Groundhog, deer, farm machinery, You name it...it maybe there. During the riding season, what you least expect may be present. If a thunder storm passed through ahead of you, with out your knowledge, loose stone a gravel may await you. Downed trees, limbs, debri, also. Enjoy the putt, but always....be careful, and think. Paps

Comment

The guy lived but he was one hurting rider. Lots of head injuries.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
                              The guy lived but he was one hurting rider. Lots of head injuries.
                              I see he was wearing his 'protective leather vest' as well.
                              I've been knocked off my Indian once by a drunken pedestrian, wearing just a T shirt. Won't place myself in that position again. I've also had to provide first aid to 5 bike riders with bugger all protective gear (one died during CPR), 3 had limbs torn off. (Riding in a group, and a brain dead idiot plowed into them while trying to overtake on his bike).
                              I've never ridden without an armored jacket since. Australians are use to accepting being told what to do, so 99% of us are happy to wear helmets. If anything, to keep the sun off my thinning hair!
                              Ride safe everyone.

Ken.
                              Ken Kemp
                              Nth Queensland
                              AUSTRALIA
                              Member # 8756

47 Chief
                              2006 BMW K1200S
                              Getting seriously interested in Vincent
                              2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
                              SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

pem: quite an image there!

In my 38 years of riding motorcycles I've been remarkably accident free (I hesitate even saying that not to jinx myself/knock on wood!), yet in perhaps my worst case scenario when I hit an old iron bridge on the Upper Wisconsin River and my FL went into the river (I did not), my helmet flew off my head and floated downstream.

Yet when you think of an eggshell-like human head striking pavement at the most moderate of velocities let alone 60 or 80 mph, the odds are better with a helmet no matter how hot, itchy, and horribly unfortable they can become.

Still, it should be a choice...

PS: Judgement plays a BIG role in safety. During H-D's 95th a BIG group left LaCrosse in bad rains and they wanted me to ride with them. But something told me not to ride in a big group in poor weather, so I just waited a couple hours and rode alone when conditions improved a little. And sure enough, some riders in that big group went down on the freeway between Madison and Milwaukee and I was glad not to have been there.
                                Last edited by HarleyCreation; 04-14-2008, 11:58 AM.
                                Herbert Wagner
                                AMCA 4634
                                =======

Comment

Working...
                                X