Didn't Make it Out of Parking Lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't Make it Out of Parking Lot

Sad mishap that I was going to call bad luck, but really it's something else again. You gotta wonder if this guy ever rode a motorcycle before in his life.

I saw a guy panic once, turn the throttle wide open, and try to climb a tree with a motorcycle. How did he do that? Inexperience.

I wonder if maybe this guy ran into something similar?

================

New motorcycle, tragic consequences
    Clutch and Chrome
    April 4th, 2008

A tragic story from upper-state New York lends further credence to not only motorcycle safety courses but also riders buying bikes within their abilities.

Dennis Walden, 56, bought his new 2008 Harley Davidson in New Windsor, New York but never made it onto public roads. He was killed in the dealership parking lot after losing control and crashing into a parked vehicle.

Mr. Walden had just purchased the motorcycle Thursday evening and wasn't wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

He was pronounced dead after being transported to the local hospital.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Thanks for the saftey reminder just as a new riding season begins. Thats one phone call no one wants to recieve. Everyone be safe out there this year. -Steve
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

Reminds me of the time I was at a major city intersection........... A fairly small gal was making a left turn on her pretty large Harley. She leaned too far over in the turn and piled up in the middle of the intersection. I noticed her struggling to wrestle her bike back to the verticle position, so I wheeled my bike over to the curb and ran over to help her pick it up. She was badly shaken, but O.K. It's all too easy to go to the dealership and plunk down the cash to buy into a "lifestyle", but it seems to me that learning to ride is a pretty important part of the process. I'll echo Ohio-Rider........let's all make it home from that great summer ride!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Inexperience

In Australia, the highest mortality rate with bike riders is in the mid 40s - 50s plus age group. Mid life crisis, big bike and out of date or non existent experience.
        At least you have to wear a helmet over here!

Best wishes all.

Ken.
        Ken Kemp
        Nth Queensland
        AUSTRALIA
        Member # 8756

47 Chief
        2006 BMW K1200S
        Getting seriously interested in Vincent
        2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
        SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
          Sad mishap that I was going to call bad luck, but really it's something else again. You gotta wonder if this guy ever rode a motorcycle before in his life.

I saw a guy panic once, turn the throttle wide open, and try to climb a tree with a motorcycle. How did he do that? Inexperience.

I wonder if maybe this guy ran into something similar?

================

New motorcycle, tragic consequences
          Clutch and Chrome
          April 4th, 2008

A tragic story from upper-state New York lends further credence to not only motorcycle safety courses but also riders buying bikes within their abilities.

Dennis Walden, 56, bought his new 2008 Harley Davidson in New Windsor, New York but never made it onto public roads. He was killed in the dealership parking lot after losing control and crashing into a parked vehicle.

Mr. Walden had just purchased the motorcycle Thursday evening and wasn't wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

He was pronounced dead after being transported to the local hospital.
          According to a local version of this story, Mr. Walden had told the dealer while he was buying the bike that he hadn't ridden a motorcycle for 30 years.
          So sad! And so unnecessary!

AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by AFJ View Post
            According to a local version of this story, Mr. Walden had told the dealer while he was buying the bike that he hadn't ridden a motorcycle for 30 years.
            So sad! And so unnecessary!

AFJ
            Not even a refresher course? I wonder what the dealer's attitude was. If he tried to warn him or just took the money and handed him the key?

Motorcyclists are like April Violets: they come out in the spring. And it only takes a second to get into trouble no matter how experienced you are. Put a guy or gal on a bike without experience and it's almost suicide.

A lesson here for all of us...
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======

Comment

Originally posted by Baytown View Post
              In Australia, the highest mortality rate with bike riders is in the mid 40s - 50s plus age group. Mid life crisis, big bike and out of date or non existent experience.
              At least you have to wear a helmet over here!

Best wishes all.

Ken.
              Here too I think....

When they repealed the helmet law in Wisconsin back around 1978-79 after huge helmet protest rallies (parties) in Madison where thousands of motorcyclists virtually took over the city, there were a few years I rode helmetless. But later I donned my helmet again and wouldn't ride on the blacktop without one now. (My dirtbike I do ride without). I just wish I could find a helmet that fits right, doesn't itch, and looks good.
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                Reminds me of the time I was at a major city intersection........... A fairly small gal was making a left turn on her pretty large Harley. She leaned too far over in the turn and piled up in the middle of the intersection. I noticed her struggling to wrestle her bike back to the verticle position, so I wheeled my bike over to the curb and ran over to help her pick it up. She was badly shaken, but O.K. It's all too easy to go to the dealership and plunk down the cash to buy into a "lifestyle", but it seems to me that learning to ride is a pretty important part of the process. I'll echo Ohio-Rider........let's all make it home from that great summer ride!
                That was the decent thing to do all right and shows that chivalry isn't dead.

The new bikes just keep getting bigger and heavier and obese it seems without limit. Some of them gotta be pushing 1000 lbs gassed up and with all the chrome gee-gaw add ons.

I wouldn't want a bike that I couldn't pick up.
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======

Comment

Florida is a no helmet state and you would be stunned at some of the sights we see. Just today my wife and I were behind a 50 something woman on a motor scooter. Riding the fast lane too slow, no hand signal when turning, and NO helmet. I have personally cracked 2 helmets and I can say without a hint of doubt that I would be a drooling basket case today if I had been helmet-less in those accidents. I see all these modern tough guy bikers with the tatoos and bad attitudes that ride without a helmet and I know they have never fallen off a motorcycle. Anyone that has fallen knows the value of a good helmet, and not one of those ridiculous plastic skull caps. Oh well, to each his own, however, some people may not survive their choice.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Last spring my wife and I were at the local HD dealership and a young fellow had just bought a buell and was getting his thankyous from the staff got on the MC with a helmet and hit the throttle wide open shoot across the parking lot missed two cars and t-boned a 3/4 ton pickup lucky for him it did more damage to the MC then him !!! We thought he was a goner for sure!

Comment

Sometimes new riders, freak and often when they do they grabe with death grips and of course lots of throtle and then just steer right into whats scared the hell out of em. Seen it more than once, a strange thing - then add todays traffic, asking for trouble. Not to mention how fast the machines have become. I have had close calls with my Harley or my antiques, just imagine todays new guys on a machine that can do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds or so - scary. About 30 some years ago, before helmets were manditory in Cal. My brother, Dad and I were all riding together at 50 mph. My brother was the only one wearing a helmet, it was brand new and that was the only reason he had it on - thought it was cool. He crashed at 50mph, his head hit the curb and busted the helmet all to pieces. Broke the handelbars right off the machine, put the forks in the engine, his right arm was broke in three places and his jaw. But they said the helmet saved his life, I have worn one ever since.

Comment

One of the most successfull ( sales wise ) dealers in my area started out selling ill handling rocket ship Kawasaki triples in the 60's. The list of deaths riding home from the dealership was substantial. When helmet laws came into being the cops used to stop riders and check that their helmet met the then "Z1 " spec. Today those stupid plastic beanie helmets are everywhere and the cops could care less even though the standards are higher. A friend who has a large collection and rides a beautiful Indian Chief substantial distances will only wear an old 40's period helmet. I always considered him intelligent but now am wondering.

Comment

Folks,,this from a 25 yr.street paramedic.(retired) & 40 yr.biker. I've scraped em up,& pronounced em! If you play the odds,,you'll always be ahead wearing a helmet if involved in a motor vehicle crash.(that goes for auto seat belts too!) Keep the shiney side up for '08!

Comment

In 1978 in Minnesota a pickup truck pulled out in front of me. I was doing at least 55 mph and hit him at a 90 degree angle at the rear wheel well. The bike and I flew over the bed of the truck. Totaled my '73 Triumph TR7. I woke up 45 minutes later in the hospital with both hands broken, and stitches in lots of places. The first words I heard were "you'd be dead without your helmet." It was a $10 helmet I bought 5 years earlier at a discount store. It took me 21 years to talk my wife into another motorcycle. Today I wear a full coverage, expensive helmet when riding my 1963 FLH.
                            Rod Hansen, Jr.

Comment

I have never adopted the full-coverage helmet and favor a half-helmet, but I'll bet lots of chins and jaws have been saved when you land face-first on the pavement wearing the full-coverage type. That's crossed my mind often enough.
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======

Comment

Working...
                              X