No announcement yet.

Detroit Motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't shy away from posting more pics Steve. It's always good to have a debate and everyone is going to and is entitled to their opinions. I think all anybody expects are the facts and if they are all there then there shouldn't be any dispute. The sceptics are here to keep it all honest........ It's great to hear that there is a repro Detroit out there to keep the history of the machine alive.

Comment

Food for thought

Originally posted by Barry Brown
      From a gearhead's perspective ( and aren't we all here of that ilk? ) DETROIT is Mecca, one of the most historically significant cities on the planet, the River Rouge stacks belching black made America, remember Bob Seeger's chant " when we were making Thunderbirds" The present urban squalour only adds character . Greenfield Village was Henry's greatest legacy and the best museum anywhere. Canadians love Detroit!
      Speaking from Experience from another MC club that I belong to AND that clubs web site list.

What is said ......TO...and....ABOUT......other people,venders and club members WILL reflect AND AFFECT what OTHER people will think and do about this club in regards to renewing or joining the AMCA...........remember what you say here the world can see

Now then Barry................

Having been born and raised in the Motor city seeing the Rouge plant smoke stacks belch that black and thick smoke from my parents back yard (aprox. 1 mile away)

I have also been to Henry Fords Museum and village(Maybe about 3 miles away) many times on school trips and later in life taking my family to the museum to see those old MC'S that I always loved to droul over and remembered on display there
      (HC any word back from the Ford museum about that bike)

As for Bob the only thing that I can say about Bob Seeger is the first time I saw him he was chanting a different tune.......something about mathametics or 2+2 something at the Lincon Park theater over on Fort Street

............I gotta keep reminding myself.....It's all good...

I wanna see more photos of that Detroit cycle

Comment

the battery model

Attached Files

Comment

from steve wrights latest book

Attached Files

Comment

Re: Re: Detroit Motorcycle

[QUOTE]Originally posted by martin
            [B]

Sure can. The Detroit motor is 1910. The rest is 2003, built (financed) by Dave Ligtner from Detoilet. Rumor has it that he represented it as an original bike when he sold it, just like his strap tank that he put on an RM auction in California and manufactured a history for it. I bet the Packard museum thinks it is real, as does the poor ****er that bought the srap tank for $175k plus commisions.

personally, i dont see this as someone that is just giving their opinion.or saving the world from dirty culprits. knowing what we know now{thanks ohio-rider}, this is an obvious untruth.the bike was never represented as original. it is sad that someone can just make these accusations without a shred of proof. using only their own warped and uneducated imagination to badmouth people they dont like.it's very easy to do, especially when your a coward who hides his identity.thats just my opinion. and i dont care if anyone approves this message.

Comment

Where in Detroit

Ok.............Does anybody know where in Detroit it was made?
              Street address
              I go back to Detroit to see family and if possiable would like to locate and photograph the building if it still stands.

Comment

detriot

the detriot motorcycle
                Attached Files
                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

The debate over originality is very much alive in the Corvette world. Fake "aged" documentation is available to your specifications on......ebay!! Registries tracking specific years have found in one case, a car certified by insurance photos to have been totalled by fire in the 60's ....reappear at auction with a binder of "certification" of it sheltered life! There appears to be over a hundred of the granddaddy of all Corvettes ....the '67 427-430 hp, all with supporting documentation of course, to bad the factory only producted 20.
                  The faking of numbers is at artistic heights.
                  The auctions say they do not certify the authenticity of the cars, it's up to the buyer to determine that. But what are you to think when the admitted "recreated" vehicles sell for more than the real deal????? Apparently the public wants a sharp color and big motor and that's all that matters.
                  JU

Comment

My latest homebuilt modeled after a 1910 Pierce but I also studied pictures of a Detroit. I know it's not a 100 point AMCA bike (like the fake Detroit, right?), but it is a pile of junk from my garage. My goal is to spend as little as possible. Enjoy but don't laugh at me too much....I'm a sensative guy.
                    Attached Files
                    Louie
                    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Cool bike Louie! I think it would be a blast to bomb down an old country lane on!!!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Louie, Cool project. Here is a motor that would look at home in it! Actually, I am looking for a chassis to drop this Pierce 4 motor in.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like Louie is an A1 welder, nice job, refreshing to see someone having fun without having to mortgage the house!

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                            Louie, Cool project. Here is a motor that would look at home in it! Actually, I am looking for a chassis to drop this Pierce 4 motor in.
                            why not buy one of those German made chassis?

Comment

I don't claim to be much of a welder, but an excellent grinder! It's my first atempt at making a frame and it was a real bitch. With the torque converter on it it should go pretty good down any road fairly well. I appreciate the comments, thanks.

Here's what I started with............
                              Attached Files
                              Louie
                              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                                why not buy one of those German made chassis?
                                I have considered that, but with the dollar so low right now, they are quite expensive. If I can't find a chassis, though, I will have to go the repro route (sorry Martin)!

Comment

Working...
                                X