Detroit Motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Motorcycle

I was going thru some of my photos from the previous year and found this photo I took while at the National Packard Museum last spring and found this photo I had taken. My memory is not as strong as it once was. Can one of you guys tell me the year and make of this machine.?

The sides of the tanks say “The Detroit Motor Cycle” but I don’t recall there ever being such a manufacturer. Okay guys, educate me. What is this thing?

Don't let your eyes deceive you, it is a Detroit motorsickle....... From what I can gather, they were only made in 1910 (maybe someone can clarify that???) It was a typical early machine, with a four horse single and came with either a chain or belt drive. The motto was "Simplicity. Durability. Strenth. Power. Speed. Comfort" I got this info from Classic American Motorcycles, By Tod Rafferty.

Comment

Re: Detroit Motorcycle

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider
      Can one of you guys tell me the year and make of this machine.?
      Sure can. The Detroit motor is 1910. The rest is 2003, built (financed) by Dave Ligtner from Detoilet. Rumor has it that he represented it as an original bike when he sold it, just like his strap tank that he put on an RM auction in California and manufactured a history for it. I bet the Packard museum thinks it is real, as does the poor ****er that bought the srap tank for $175k plus commisions.

Check out Steven Wright's latest book "The American Motorcycles". Pages 150 and 181 both have orig photos of the Detroit. Made from 1911-1912. The book is the greatest for early bikes. LOTS of great photos of the odd brands too.

Comment

Martin,
        With all due respect.........your stated rumor regarding the Detroit pictured on display at The Packard Museum is just that...RUMOR.
        I believe I know the owner of the pictured bike, and not only did he not "purchase" the bike, he would not misrepresent it as original. It is however a beautiful piece of our countries motorcycle history. johnny

Comment

w

waaaaaaaaaaaa...... you dam repoppers
          Attached Files

Comment

Good one jurassic.........

Sometime's when a guy's grouchy a pacifier can come in handy.............
            Attached Files

Comment

Appears you fellows were loaded and ready for that one. Need to brush up on my computer skills i suppose. Sure made me laugh!
              johnny

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for satisfying my curiosity about the Detroit cycle. I apologize if I unknowingly touched a raw nerve with some of the members when I asked about this machine. I can assure you all it was not intentional.

You guys have tweeked my curiosity now as to what it is about this machine that would cause grown men to react as you have. Each year when Packard sponsors this display of motorcycles they have contacted me to include one of my cycles. I have always declined but will consider it next year so that I may have the opportunity to meet the owner of this “Detroit Cycle” and find out its history and its allure to you all.

One last thing.
                Martin, I have a lot of family in the city of Detroit and your use of the word “Detoilet” seemed unnecessary. If you have a problem with the owner of this machine there is no need to defame an entire city because of it. -Steve

Comment

I don't think Dave would have misrepresented the bike. I saw it at Wauseon a number of years ago and it was common knowledge that it was mostly fabricated from period photographs. At least that's what I heard and believed from my own observations. It would be interesting to get an honest history of the bike.

Ignoring the Detroit, we are going to be hearing a lot of this in the future. Many, many motorcycles are going to be under suspicion in the future. Half a$$ed patina jobs are going to look better and better as age and bad memories works their magic. If I was a rich guy with a fat wallet and a big appetite for old motorcycles, I wouldn't touch an "original paint" motorcycle with a ten foot "original paint" pole. I would spend my money on high quality restorations.

Comment

It seems that the more i read the more I am truely saddend Grown men that have plenty of money with nothing better to do than fook someone with a fake MC shame,shame,shame !!!

Comment

to be the devils advocate, IF dave DID misrepresent the bikes, I am pretty sure the new owner would have had access to this wonderful thing called the WORLD WIDE WEB. they would have researched the item ( or should have ) at length before throwing money hand over fist to be 100% sure of what they are buying.

If they just showed up at a show and ' just couldn't live without' tripping over their pocket linings to get at their money out then maybe they are not true lovers of the bikes and if they ' get scammed ' then maybe they deserve it

I know dave at some length and do not see him as "that type". I even have done a great deal with him - he was the previous owner of my wonderful 1914 excelsior single belt drive, and even last summer at wauseon he was still asking how the bike was comming even after 17 years.

I don't remember where I saw the article possibly amca calender with the detroit in it, remember reading something to the effect the motor was original and rest was fabricated ( I think by bruce linsey - might be mistaken ) - so here is public acknowledgement of the true story on the bike

great photo jurassic hopefully all those ' cry babies ' keep those un-neccesary comments to their selves

and that is my 2.5 cents worth ( canadian )

aka HAWG

Comment

detroit

Attached Files

Comment

Awesome picture!!!!!!! Any idea where it was taken???

Comment

I wonder if the Detroit Motorcycle company made the Detroit Electric Aoutomobile also? There used to be a 1908 Detroit Electric in the British Columbia Museum of Transportation in Cloverdale B.C. I think its closed down now and all the vehicles are sold off I believe... The Detroit Car had a massive load of Batteries and its amazing that today, developent of gasoline free cars are still in the early stages.....Joe

Comment

Let me clarify my previous post it was meant as a general statement ONLY!!Not only does it go for MCs but life in general! It seems more acceptable these days to yell just a little lie and its ok,I disagree and believe honesty is the best policy,maybe if everyone was to put this into pratice we wold have a better world!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X