California Motorcycle Clubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Motorcycle Clubs

Hello all. Does anyone know of a good resource to identify California motorcycle clubs of the 1940's? I've read "The Original Wild Ones, Tales of the Boozefighters" and it is informative but limited. I'm looking to identify both AMA and non AMA clubs of the era. I specifically would like to know about the "Yellow Jackets" (I have recently obtained a patch with a yellow jacket going over the handlebars. It's from Palo Alto. The artwork is crude and seems 40's) I'm trying to identify it. I would also like to know more about the 13 Rebs, Sharks, Gallopin' Gooses and the like. Any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Jedd

YellowJackets Motorcycle club

This could be an interesting project; are you a writer?
    http://www.bfmcnatl.com/profilenov.htm
    http://timothykirby.blogspot.com/
    Read down or do a search on Yellow.

Comment

Another book...
      Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club By Barger Sonny,

Comment

I wouldn't say I'm a writer, but I can write. I really would love to put together a photo book. As a native Southern California and an obsessive bobber freak, I would really like to gather as much info and photos of the clubs during the post war era. I'm not really interested in the debate over "outlaw" vs AMA club. The era I'm interested in was about the bikes and that is what I'm interested in. Here in LA we have the Early Riders club and they are a great collection of knowledge and experience. I'm sure between them all we could put together a list of early clubs. A list could get it going. So any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I'm adding a photo of the Yellow Jackets patch. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have a few more club names I'd love to know about. If anyone has info please let me know.

"Cherry Chasers"
            "No Names"

If anyone knows any other LA area clubs of the 40's please please let me know.

Comment

1940's MC

Other clubs from that era I've found are as follows:-

The Top Hatters ( they have a web site ), Satan's Sinners, Satan's Daughters, and The Winoes?? the last three clubs were extracted form Harry V Sucher's book 'The Milwaukee Marvel' 4th edition page 190. I also found a DVD on eBAY titled 'Rare Races' and has clips fron various American races from 1947 including Daytona, Larconia and the Allenstown 1/2 mile. In the DVD various peole are wearing club jerseys from 'The Blue Comet MC, Manchester MC and Blue Piston MC these may not be from CA but who knows?

Comment

There was also:
                Pasadena MC
                Pico Hornets MC
                Bay City MC

Here's some interesting history:
                http://ijms.nova.edu/November2005/IJ...l.Dulaney.html

Comment

Hollister 1947

Another club may have been 'The ****** Off Bastards' And also can anybody tell me which clubs were involved at the Hollister run and how did the cuffed levis and engineer boots come about??

Comment

Thanks so much for the additional info. The Rare Races DVD is outstanding. I think there are two volumes. Great footage and great soundtrack. As for Hollister, good question. The Boozefighters were there of course, but I can't say for sure on the other clubs. It was a race weekend, so I'm sure the AMA somewhere has a list of participating clubs that were around. I know there have been plenty of books written on the subject, but I not sure if anyone has a complete list of club present.

Comment

Yes from what I understand the "****** of Bastered of Bloomington" were there and I imagine the "Top Hatters" as well. Let work on getting a race schedual for the weekends events.

Comment

Sorry about my spelling. No disrespect intended.

Comment

Robrat as for cuffed jeans and engineer boots, I can only provide guesses. Engineer boots were just popular work boots and most working class guys had them. Most lace up boots were very high (linesman style) and not super practical for daily wear. Don't forget GI's did not even see lace up high boots till the end of the war. So that's my theory on boots. As for rolled up jeans. Cuffs used to be popular as did hats for men. No ball caps, but actual dress hats. I think cuffed jeans just were the trend (still are with me) As to the origins I could guess it had to do with the Depression era. Hand me downs that didn't always fit well, so cuff em. If new ones could be bought for the kids, buy em big they'll grow into them. Maybe, just I thought. Speaking of clothing though, I 'm looking for racing sweaters. Dehen still makes them, but it's like pulling teeth. Anyone else know were I can find them, old or new.

Comment

Originally posted by Flathead Jedd
                            I think cuffed jeans just were the trend (still are with me) As to the origins I could guess it had to do with the Depression era. Hand me downs that didn't always fit well, so cuff em. If new ones could be bought for the kids, buy em big they'll grow into them. Maybe, just I thought. Speaking of clothing though, I 'm looking for racing sweaters. Dehen still makes them, but it's like pulling teeth. Anyone else know were I can find them, old or new.
                            I was a kid in Oregon in the late 40's and early 50's. We rolled ours on the outside to fit; yes, bought 'em long. In LA, 1955 thru 1960 we rolled them on the inside on the pant leg; pegged pants came in about that time. Styles go around and come back. My 35 year-old son was just up from San Diego. Had his folded up on the outside, not rolled; about 3-inches worth. Looked a little ...odd.

Comment

Ah, big cuffs! Buckets if you will. Very popular with the rockabilly scene in So Cal. I say if you can hold a pack of smokes in them they are cuffed too tall.

Comment

Working...
                              X