Otis Chandler "1907" Harley in Fall Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by c.o.
    I couldn't resist bringing this post back to the top of the page again....... On my way to work this morning I stopped at a local gas station and picked up the latest copy of American Iron magazine. I normally don't buy this publication (too much new stuff....), but there was a bike within it's pages that was of interest, so I couldn't resist. John Parham's '08 is featured and what a beauty it is!!! There's a couple of really good pictures of it, so a fella can study it in detail. It really has a lot of character. The more I look at these early Harleys the more I think that they were quite a beautiful machine.

Herb, I'm on the second read through of At The Creation.....(just so I can try and keep my facts straight!!! ) Again, it's a great book and a wealth of information on these very important early machines........
    Yes, the early Harleys do grow on a person. It's easy to understand why they were such a hit in 1905-1908 when Harley entered the marketplace with a very good and outstanding design.

Did the Amer. Iron article contain anything new or noteworthy beside the photos that we haven't covered here? I have not seen it.

Thanks for feedback on the book. I purposely tried to make it the OPPOSITE of a pretty but superficial coffee table book by packing as much information on early Harley-D as I possibly could between it's modest-appearing covers.

Comment

• Hey......cool boardtracker pic......

I don't think that there's much info in the article that we haven't heard before. It does have a brief history on where it came from and how the paint was refurbished. I guess it's a good runner. It does however have the dates out by a year as far as production goes, '04 is listed as the first production date. But, I guess not everyone has followed this thread or has read your book. The pictures are great and it is certainly a magnificent machine.

I still can't help but wonder what happened to those early motors that were sold for utility purposes.........hmmmm.....something to daydream about I guess.......

Comment

• Here's a scan (from Tommo) of a 1909 Harley advert. Interesting they mention catalogue E in the ad. That would make 1905 as the year for catalogue A ... Perry

This one is from a 1909 American Exporter magazine and shows a 1909 HD advertisment.
        Attached Files

Comment

• I found this ad in a 1909 issue of American Exporter and thought it might be relevant to the discussion.
          I have to thank Perry for posting them for me as it is beyound this old chap

Comment

• Just found another 1908 harley being advertised at an auction site.

Check out............www.rmauctions.com

Click on the Monterey Auction, coming up August 18, 2007

Lot number 535 is described as a 1908 Harley Davidson strap tank single, and even goes on to point out the differences between 1907 and 1908 model years.

The Serial Number of this machine is given as # 2241

Check it out

Comment

• http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails...O07&CarID=r134

Comment

• rm restorations is about 1 hour from me they do total car restorations of vary high price auto's - this item must be a consignment as my freind that works there never mentioned this bike at the shop

not to point fingers but I was told the this company may have on ocassion changed documents and serial numbers to change the prestige of vehicles to increase their value

just a word of warning to any interested parties

aka HAWG

Comment

• auctions have ended

1908 harley - $180,000
                  1912 indian single - $25,000
                  1912 excelsior twin - $17,000

aka HAWG

still looking for 1914 excelsior parts - any help appreciated

Comment

• Dave Uihlein originally discovered the Silent Grey Fellow in 1941, as he drove to the University of Wisconsin to take his entrance exams. Stopping for fuel in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, 65 miles outside Milwaukee, he struck up a conversation with the gas station attendant who clued him in to the location of a very old motorcycle; after finding the old shed on an isolated farm and its owner, he purchased the motorcycle on the spot, largely intrigued by it being belt-driven. It is very possible that no. 2241 may have been purchased in 1908 direct from the factory with the inquisitive, young college student being only its second owner.
                    This part sounds plausible enough. The Uihleins were involved with the Schlitz Brewing Co. and other Milwaukee area enterprises. Not sure how Dave Uihlein fits into the family line, but the name is a famous one around Milwaukee.

2241 doesn't show up in the early Wis. MC Regs, but the listing is not complete.

Sadly (IMO) a "restoration" was done to this supposedly ORIGINAL "excellent" condition machine, thereby wiping out 100 years of patina and motorcycle history. If they had left it alone its value would have probably been double.

The Harley, although presently in excellent condition, was naturally in need of an expert restoration, which was executed by Paul Freehill. The frame, fenders and forks were completely stripped and painted in original Renault Gray with the correct Carmine Red pin-striping and Harley-Davidson script. The plating has excellent luster and the single-cylinder engine was completely rebuilt and detailed with authentic style, layered leather, and 1x12-inch belt. All alloy castings were polished to highlight the mechanical beauty of this single-cylinder design. The seat was restored and recovered in black leather and two vintage-design white tires were fitted. During the restoration the original tank, rim and engine belt pulley were replaced but are understood to accompany the Harley in its sale.

Comment

• That's the problem Herb. Some people really need to think before they proceed. If it was in excellent original condition, then why on earth did they need to make it shiney and pretty? Well that's the natural thing for some to do and while it looks like a fine machine, it's soul was just completely ripped away. Now, if left alone it's going to take another 100 years to get some patina back......sad indeed.......

Comment

• I called the auction house to get some "before" photos. They said they would get back to me. Called them again... nothing again. If it had all the correct documentation, it should have brought 350k or better. The reproductions of Jurrassic and Silentgreyfellow are bringing close to 200k with minimal original parts, so if this one is the real deal (which I doubt), then 180k is a bargain!

Comment

WOW, case closed.............now that the leading authority on early gray bikes has weighed in, i'm convinced. must have a better internet connection than me.of course if a book were ever written on the subject surely it would include this bike and all the other "real" strap tanks.so it must be fake.

Comment

• 200K ?? I wish!

Ummm, not sure where you get your numbers, Martin, but not close to factual! For a guy that sure likes to make sure everyone's posts are correct, perhaps you should read your own before posting. Have a nice day!

Comment

• I stopped in Anamosa on my way to Davenport this year and although I caught the museum near closing, I did get through the door to look at the '08 residing there. It was such a captivating piece that I found it hard to pull myself away from it to look at anything else.......

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o.
                                I stopped in Anamosa on my way to Davenport this year and although I caught the museum near closing, I did get through the door to look at the '08 residing there. It was such a captivating piece that I found it hard to pull myself away from it to look at anything else.......
                                I didn't live during the early period of the motorcycle, but it does seem (in retrospect) that Bill Harley and the Davidsons put the correct elements together in the proper proportions and got things RIGHT on those early singles.

Of course they had the luxury of not being first. Their first bike came out at a later date (unlike the "official" story) so they could learn from other bikes already on the market. Plus they had the help of smart guys like Ole Evinrude.

Kind of hard to see it right away with modern eyes, but they did create something of a "super" bike for that early period.

This reminds me of something Wm. H. Davidson told me. He made the statement: "We might not have been first, but we were right."

I thought that he was talking about little stuff, but maybe he also had H-D's deep dark secret in mind too. Hmm.....

Comment

Working...
                                X